Finally got my first XJ

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Finally got my first XJ

I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. It's a 2001 with 76,xxxx miles. It's was a one owner and he was around 80 years old so I imagine it wasn't driven hard at all. I had my buddy professional detail it and took off the side molding. The first thing I plan on doing are tint, clear markers and turn signals. new headlights, rubber floor mats and maybe a new sound system. It's gonna be a 95% DD but I would like to do a small lift maybe 2-3 inches but I'm still researching that. A 4.5 inch lift is what I want but I really don't want to get into all the extra money like a SYE, drive shafts. and whatever else is required. Let me know what yo think. I'm a newbie so any help would be great.
Attached Thumbnails Finally got my first XJ-jeep.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Looks good!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Reeeeal nice looking
Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Why is it clean? I think it's missing mud on it!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice! Welcome to the addiction! For a 95% DD, I would recommend a 3" lift with full leaf packs and 31's. You don't have to regear, you get a really nice stance, and it lose much as far as mpg's go. If you want to go to bigger you have a good base platform for spacers and shackles.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Looks great,how much is involved removing the side moldings,just tape cleanup?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

looks like it never left the garage...good find
Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 01 5spoke
Looks great,how much is involved removing the side moldings,just tape cleanup?
Yeah all we did was slowliy pull them away and then used a plastic wedge to scrape the rest of the tape off. After that was just some elbow grease to get the rest of the adhesive off.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
Very nice! Welcome to the addiction! For a 95% DD, I would recommend a 3" lift with full leaf packs and 31's. You don't have to regear, you get a really nice stance, and it lose much as far as mpg's go. If you want to go to bigger you have a good base platform for spacers and shackles.
The 3 inch is what I was leaning more towards. I'm trying to find some Moabs or maybe black steel wheels to put 31's on if thats the route I go. Would I need SYE or TC drop with that? I want to do it right the first time and I don't want to piece it together or go to a junk yard to make my own. I would like an all in one kit but there seems to be so many kits that have different parts. I need it to ride good and I plan on taking a trip or two up north ( 12 hour drive) to see the family. Thanks guys
Old 11-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

VERY nice! I'm amazed all of the body lines still line up. Nice find!
Old 11-03-2011, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Originally Posted by rayray0918
The 3 inch is what I was leaning more towards. I'm trying to find some Moabs or maybe black steel wheels to put 31's on if thats the route I go. Would I need SYE or TC drop with that? I want to do it right the first time and I don't want to piece it together or go to a junk yard to make my own. I would like an all in one kit but there seems to be so many kits that have different parts. I need it to ride good and I plan on taking a trip or two up north ( 12 hour drive) to see the family. Thanks guys
That is some realistic and good thinking. Junkyard lifts are just that, junk. A good quality kit is the way to go and the easiest route in the long run. You get what you pay for with lift kits, spending a little extra will make you a lot happier with the results. Now let the junkyard lift guys start a flame war in 3..2..1..
Old 11-03-2011, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rayray0918
You're gonna hear a ton of differing opinions on what lift to get, who to get it through, yada, yada, yada. In short, I would recommend Rusty's Offroad 3" Spring Pack. It's full packs instead of Add-a-Leaf rear springs, it's a good quality starter lift that you can build on later, and there are only two things you need to do outside of what Rusty's send you. The first is to move the lower track bar bolt over .75" to center the axle and shim the rear axle 2*. The shims are only about $15 and you can drill the new track bar bolt hole yourself. Rusty's is a little more money than Rough Country, but the ride is better IMO.

For rims, look into some American Racing d-windows with 3.75 backspacing. They're inexpensive, made of steel, and you can paint them any color you want if you don't like them in black. Although, the black will look really good with your Jeep.

In all reality though, it all comes down to you deciding what you want, and then from there finding the product you like the best. I'm just giving you my experience.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

nice jeep!

agreed w/the 3" or less lift. stick w/that and you wont open the can of worms. 3" lift on 31s is plenty capable w/a locker.

Rustys has nice soft springs, and also OME.. a bit more money, but good stuff. Especially for a DD.

How much did u pay for a rig w/only 76k miles?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

very nice jeep you have.... if it was me... I would do a few things before you get a lift... and they are less expensive.. I would upgrade your headlights and and clear turn signals if you you like the clear look, get front tow hooks for recovery points and a tow hitch for a rear recovery point. and skid plates.... after that I would look for a lift... just some advice.... because just getting a lift doesn't always help you...
Old 11-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by djlarroc
nice jeep!

agreed w/the 3" or less lift. stick w/that and you wont open the can of worms. 3" lift on 31s is plenty capable w/a locker.

Rustys has nice soft springs, and also OME.. a bit more money, but good stuff. Especially for a DD.

How much did u pay for a rig w/only 76k miles?

I paid $6500 for it. I know that's probably alittle steep to some but I've been looking for months for one but found nothing even close to the condition this one was in and I sold my truck I had plenty to pay for it in cash which was biggest concern. I still have some left over but not enough for a lift so that's why I might do smaller things first. It came with the factory tow package and 8.25 rear end which was a plus for me too since I have a trailer to tow around.

Quick Reply: Finally got my first XJ