Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Facing Headliner Replacement, I'm Skeert...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Facing Headliner Replacement, I'm Skeert...

Okay...****.

I see Perma-Tex and Loc-Tite Brand Headliner Spray Adhesive. What is the best type? Is there another Brand that is better?

What is actually holding the headliner up? Is it trim or, what hellish nightmare am I going to run into?

I have read some of the threads involving headliner replacement.

When you folks take a brush to the headliner after you get it out, are you removing just old adhesive or old adhesive and the insulating material as well?

If the insulating material is also to be removed to complete this project properly, what is it replaced with?

Is there a preferred headliner material when replacing them or can you use any suitable cloth? What is most likely to wear the best, longest and be colorfast?

I appreciate any help I can get. Trust me.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:32 PM

One young man on here did an outstanding job on his headliner AND he Dremeled out or otherwise removed the audio cassette / CD plastic projections in the console and lined that with a newer, digital based camouflage material.

So, I was joking around with Wifey about this and looking at some stuff and she actually liked this. I think it is actually quite interesting!

Would this make a good headliner material?

https://www.lurasfabricshop.com/camo...c-camo559.html
Old 05-10-2014, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by DonBulldog
One young man on here did an outstanding job on his headliner AND he Dremeled out or otherwise removed the audio cassette / CD plastic projections in the console and lined that with a newer, digital based camouflage material.

So, I was joking around with Wifey about this and looking at some stuff and she actually liked this. I think it is actually quite interesting!

Would this make a good headliner material?

https://www.lurasfabricshop.com/camo...c-camo559.html

Its just fabric, what interior color would that match?

I bought mine off of ebay and used the spray adhesive from Autozone. Mine has been fine for 3-4 years.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Jeep is Arctic White, Plain Jane Former State Government Fleet Cherokee. I like outdoors stuff. I like Autumn. I like Winter. It'll match fine.

I need to know the other stuff.

I'm a pretty handy guy. If I have a Chilton's Manual, good tools, replacement parts and stuff, I can do a lot for not being a real mechanic. The only problem is, I live in an apartment complex. As the name implies, things can get a little complicated. In other words, no vehicle repair or maintenance on the property. So, anything that has to be done has to be relatively quick and I have to know what I am getting into before I do it. That's why I asked the questions I did.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Where are you in MD? There are several guys on here from MD who are very active and might could help you out. I just pulled my headliner in 20 minutes for my cage install, it take a while to clean the board and let the adhesive dry so you can re install it.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:45 PM

If I know exactly what I have to do, I can pull it, take it in the apartment and clean it in there and have Wifey run the vacuum cleaner right behind the brush. No muss, no fuss. Then, measure cut, spray, apply, clamp and set and let it cure. I just need to know about how it is attached and the rest of that to know what I am getting into with that.

I have an antenna mount in the centerline of the roof that is right about over the interior light. I would like to get that removed and treat any rust up there if that exists and close that hole and sand, primer and repaint. So everything ends up being good.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:52 PM