Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Exo questions

Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM

Location: Northern Maine. Stones throw from the land of maple leafs and expensive milk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6 High Output
Default Exo questions

Well I'm hoping not to get flamed on this but I won't hold my breath. I'm looking to build my self an exocage for my 95. To clarify, this jeep will NEVER be driven near anything that smells like a roll over hazard. The only reason i want an exo is because we wheel in closed in, tight, grown up, woods trails. Usually left over logging skidder trails, and i want some sort of protection for my glass, and worst case scenario, slide into some ruts and side swipe a tree. I'm looking to only protect my glass and body panels because it is my DD and like i said, it will NEVER be taken anywhere that a roll over is possible. With that hopefully clarified, what kind of tubing would be best suited for this kind of usage, and would welded joints as opposed to bending be acceptable or too much work? I have access to a tubing bender I've just always wondered why no one ever welds joints instead of bending tubing. Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Welding would be fine. Just weld it really well. I'm no tube expert, but I'd use what the rest of the armor guys are using and get some at least 1-inch diameter steel tubing. Never hurts to go bigger and thicker.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:09 PM

Location: Northern Maine. Stones throw from the land of maple leafs and expensive milk

I'm glad at least the first reply I got was civil. To be honest I'm worried haha. I've read other peoples posts about exos and they usually don't end well. I was thinking of like 1.5" .50 hrew since it really doesn't need to be tank proof. Also I forgot to add, expanded steel mesh over the rear windows and maybe something removable over the windshield? Yay or nay?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I'm lucky because in the state of Florida it's illegal to drive without a windshield and I get a free replacement through my insurance company if it ever cracks/breaks/shatters

Maybe you don't need an exo cage, maybe just some armor. Check out your armor options because they'll keep your Jeep from getting scratched up.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 PM

I was looking into armor also but I only have liability insurance. Here in maine we need a windshield too i was thinking exocage so id have a mounting point to put steel mesh over my windows just to prevent and big branches from scratching/breaking them
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

If your doing an exo you need bumpers and sliders to tie it into for a sturdy base. Since it probably wont get flopped than hrew will be ok. 1.75" .120 wall is common
Bends are more popular because it looks better and is stronger. You should hit up some offroad shops and get a quote on having them do it for you.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

save the body by covering it up with an ugly *** exo cage? how about some more reasonable options

quarter guards
http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...e=XJ-RUPGRD-96

roof sliders
http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/...j-roof-sliders

steel fenders
http://hooliganoffroadengineering.com/XJ.php

or maybe look into some plexiglass windows
http://www.polyshields.com/main.html

I would pick any and all of those options before I built an ugly partial cage that's sole purpose was to protect my windows and repel dents
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the record Atmos doesn't know what he's talking about. Exo cages are indeed badass.
Unless you build an ugly one. Then it's ugly.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Atmos
save the body by covering it up with an ugly *** exo cage? how about some more reasonable options

quarter guards
http://www.jcroffroad.com/mm5/mercha...e=XJ-RUPGRD-96

roof sliders
http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/...j-roof-sliders

steel fenders
http://hooliganoffroadengineering.com/XJ.php

or maybe look into some plexiglass windows
http://www.polyshields.com/main.html

I would pick any and all of those options before I built an ugly partial cage that's sole purpose was to protect my windows and repel dents
From the sounds of what you will be using the Jeep for I think the Roof Sliders and Hooligan Tube Fenders will be your best option
Old 01-21-2013, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

Originally Posted by mr white
For the record Atmos doesn't know what he's talking about. Exo cages are indeed badass.
Unless you build an ugly one. Then it's ugly.
I'm surprised at you. your posts are usually useful
(whitey's just mad because I think his exo cage is uggaleh )

just kidding
Old 01-21-2013, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Atmos
I'm surprised at you. your posts are usually useful
(whitey's just mad because I think his exo cage is uggaleh )

just kidding

LOL.
Somebody always has to bash on my useful posts.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.6 stroker ;)

Originally Posted by mr white

LOL.
Somebody always has to bash on my useful posts.
Josh @ Hooligan will hook you up ! I seen his fenders and jumped on them sturdy as hell ! And he can make them custom if u need to be ! And a exo won't help u for windows ! I seen people smash side windows while having a exo ! Main reason for a exo is strength ! It ties the roof, deont and rear bumbers , sliders , And unibody together to prevent twisting
Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Those poly shield windows look pretty hardcore. Anyway, the reason I wanted a cage was to be able to mount expanded steel mesh over my windows, and to keep my doors from getting bent/stuck shut. Quarter guards wont help me with that, i yes i do plan on making solid bumpers front and back, as well as solid rockers/sliders. I've built them for my dads jeep, I just plan on taking them a step further with a cage
Old 01-21-2013, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Dr. Frankenstein
Those poly shield windows look pretty hardcore. Anyway, the reason I wanted a cage was to be able to mount expanded steel mesh over my windows, and to keep my doors from getting bent/stuck shut. Quarter guards wont help me with that, i yes i do plan on making solid bumpers front and back, as well as solid rockers/sliders. I've built them for my dads jeep, I just plan on taking them a step further with a cage
You do realize that an Exo will not protect the doors you will be better off with sliders that Kick out away from the body a few inches.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by wiggles
If your doing an exo you need bumpers and sliders to tie it into for a sturdy base. Since it probably wont get flopped than hrew will be ok. 1.75" .120 wall is common
Bends are more popular because it looks better and is stronger. You should hit up some offroad shops and get a quote on having them do it for you.

1.75 .120 wall ...HREW...Exo with internal bracing ...6,000lb XJ resting on its side on the Buggy line at Cleveland rock ...It got here when I got off line and my shifters T-handle came apart leaving me unable to reverse out rolling over sideways in a twisrting motion onto my roof and then comming to rest on my passenger side ... DOM is not magic if you dent any tube it loses its strengh , and if you eat shyyyt hard enough to split HREW tubing with the seams turned in you can be certain you dented that DOM badly enough to need to replace since its not strong either with dents in it either . Something like an EXO cage that gets used many times will need sections replaced every so often and sometimes completely rebuilt since it's basicly a wear item if used .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exo questions