Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default Dumb things you've done to your Jeep

Title says it all, toss up your palm to forehead moments. This can be anything related to your Jeep.

Like this (Go to the 2 min mark):

Or maybe like my experience installing a ZJ Rear Disc conversion. I put the axle shafts back in, cross bar in the diff, and then sealed up the cover. Oops, I forgot to install that little screw that holds the diff cross bar in place. Another 30 minutes added to that project.

Or how about, "Yea, a budget boost is ALL I'll ever need."

Should be fun to laugh at ourselves!!
Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM
CF Veteran

Drove it down the road locked in 4hi. oops.

Second thing is I took all the fender flares off and marked in blue sharpee where I was going to cut....... that was months and months ago now. Never have gotten around to actually cutting. So now I have no flares, blue cut lines and a section around the flares that is still white. Not that big of a deal but it kinda looks silly.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Mounted a 10k winch to the front of my old XJ using a Rustys front tow bar, then half asleep, put the winch into the back of some guys Explorer at a red light.

Broke a rear U-Joint in Miami, and drove 130 miles home in 4 hi, FWD only. That was a bad wheeling trip.

When I was young and naive I concealed all the wiring for roof lights in an old drill bit box on the roof and electrical taped it shut.

I'm stupid & I can prove it!!

Last edited by Bustedknuckle; 08-23-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

dumbest thing I have done so far was leave the jeep outside where rain has a chance to wash her, gonna have to get her dirty again.

Haven't had the jeep for long so haven't had the chance to do any dumb things yet
Old 08-24-2010, 12:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Haven't had the jeep for long so haven't had the chance to do any dumb things yet
This reminds me of Star Wars ESB...
Luke "I'm not afraid!"
Yoda...very creepily "You will be! You will be."

I look back on my formative Jeep days and laugh at how naive I was. But then, what's a college kid supposed to do with no cash and an addiction?!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I was driving in the rain and had the music on kind of loud. I was at a red light waiting to turn left. When the light turned green I hit the accelerator too hard and didn't realize I was spinning my rear tires. When I went to turn left, it kept going straight.

Stupid me tried slamming on the brake and slammed into the curb. I thought I had hit the light pole on the corner because it was so loud when I hit the curb. I didn't though. But I did I blow out the sidewall on my right front tire. I got 2 new tires so it wouldn't ride unevenly.

Some good did come out of it, though. My extra tire and a $15 craigslist rim means I now have a full-size spare.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by eggdashure
Title says it all, toss up your palm to forehead moments. This can be anything related to your Jeep.

Like this (Go to the 2 min mark):

"Yea, a budget boost is ALL I'll ever need."

Should be fun to laugh at ourselves!!
hahaha yeah, i thought id be fine with a lock right in my d35 on a 4 inch lift with 31s, im currently going to a 5.5 inch long arm lift on 35s and coils in the rear with a 4 link and detroits front and rear, annnnd im searching for a ford 8.8.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Previous owner had screwed a piece of wood in the back to mount the compressor and air tank. Well he screwed the wood down with a 2" 3/8 self tapping lag bolt.....Through the wood...Through the floor...and finally right into the gas tank. Well when I got it I had to move all of it so I could actually put stuff in it like my bike and anything long. Took out all of his screws and then built a sick shelf/rack for the hardware and Hi Lift gassed her up and hit the trail. It wasn't long before we started smelling gas. Stopped picked up the rubber bed liner in the back and the carpet was soaked with gas. Look underneath and sure enough there is evidence of gas leaking out of the top of the tank. So whats a true Jeeper to do you ask?? I found that ****in' screw cut out the gas soaked carpet and pad and ran that ***** right through the floor and back into the tank. If you believe it when I take off the gas cap it lets out pressure so that screw sealed her up good!!

Before and After
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2010, 02:01 AM

Engine: 4.0 IL

Doorless is a great thing...unless you forget to check the weather...
Old 08-24-2010, 04:52 AM

Year: 1998

Haven't done anything dumb with my XJ yet, but when I first got my YJ.......

I drove it into a remote mudhole, without ever verifying that it actually had 4WD.

Of course the D-30's vacuum lines were all broken & rotted from battery acid.

We were on the way back from my then young son's birthday party & the three boys wanted to see what wheeling was about.

Hot day & no tools. My older son came to help get us out with a few come-a-longs & tow straps.

Ordered the Posi-lok cable two days later.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 AM

Year: 2000

Bought it.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Bought it.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burried it past the mirrors and blew the motor.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny1217
Doorless is a great thing...unless you forget to check the weather...
haha amen to that. Started to sprinkle on my way home once, rushed as fast as i could and got all four power doors hooked up and close b4 the bottom dropped out in 35mins.

On mine was a sandy muddy hole when only on bb (yes that is another one too) and the front sank in and had it up to the bumper with rear wheel in the air. lol i left the door open after i checked it out and threw it in reverse! Needless to say i had to clean that door about 3 times b4 it was all over with.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by eggdashure
This reminds me of Star Wars ESB...
Luke "I'm not afraid!"
Yoda...very creepily "You will be! You will be."

I look back on my formative Jeep days and laugh at how naive I was. But then, what's a college kid supposed to do with no cash and an addiction?!
I'm so addicted to my jeep already and want to do so many things to it. I'm selling my riding boots from my quad days soon and can't decide if the money will go towards gas or pay for a coil spacer lift

Quick Reply: Dumb things you've done to your Jeep