Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Doorless XJ Minnesota

Just wondering if anyone has any further knowledge than I do on the legality of running my Cherokee doorless. As far as I can tell the only that pertains to that is in regards to mirrors. (169.70) All that states is that you need a mirror that can project 200 feet behind the driver. My rearview does that so do I need side mirrors? And if anyone has any experience regarding being pulled over simply because you don't have any doors on that would be great.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by DeltaOP4
Just wondering if anyone has any further knowledge than I do on the legality of running my Cherokee doorless. As far as I can tell the only that pertains to that is in regards to mirrors. (169.70) All that states is that you need a mirror that can project 200 feet behind the driver. My rearview does that so do I need side mirrors? And if anyone has any experience regarding being pulled over simply because you don't have any doors on that would be great.
We have had several posts on this in the last few days, all from different states.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you need to check with your local highway patrol, or state agency. They will answer the question definitively. Don't go to the website, or try to interpret the vehicle code, as the "book" is generally quite ambiguous, and open to interpretation. As will be the officers on the road, some will care more than others.

Bottom line is, if a LEO wants to stop you, he will.

I have been stopped here in Cali for no doors. Guy was just sizing me up. I produced license, registration, and proof of insurance. Did not get a ticket. He said I needed doors "of some kind"...kinda sounded like BS to me. When I inquired as to tube doors or half doors, he said "yeah that should be fine"...VC states nothing about driving with no doors here...only that you need 2 mirrors, one driver and internal, or one driver, one passenger. I had all three, and showed him, and stated I was not breaking the law, but he told me I "should have doors of some type"...but that was his opinion.

IF you go doorless, realize it makes you stand out. If you don't like getting pulled over, don't do it. Personally, I have nothing to hide, so whatever, let them pull me over. If I get a ticket I'll fight it in court. If I lose, I guess I'll pay a fine. But it hasn't happened yet.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Like i have always said i would never drive on a public road with out doors.I rather have metal between me and what hits me then air and maybe a prayer.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by roninofako
We have had several posts on this in the last few days, all from different states.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but you need to check with your local highway patrol, or state agency. They will answer the question definitively. Don't go to the website, or try to interpret the vehicle code, as the "book" is generally quite ambiguous, and open to interpretation. As will be the officers on the road, some will care more than others.

Bottom line is, if a LEO wants to stop you, he will.

I have been stopped here in Cali for no doors. Guy was just sizing me up. I produced license, registration, and proof of insurance. Did not get a ticket. He said I needed doors "of some kind"...kinda sounded like BS to me. When I inquired as to tube doors or half doors, he said "yeah that should be fine"...VC states nothing about driving with no doors here...only that you need 2 mirrors, one driver and internal, or one driver, one passenger. I had all three, and showed him, and stated I was not breaking the law, but he told me I "should have doors of some type"...but that was his opinion.

IF you go doorless, realize it makes you stand out. If you don't like getting pulled over, don't do it. Personally, I have nothing to hide, so whatever, let them pull me over. If I get a ticket I'll fight it in court. If I lose, I guess I'll pay a fine. But it hasn't happened yet.
Yeah I planned on calling up my PD just to check, but wanted to know if people had been pulled over for it. I know from experience in some cases the officer is the law and can do as they please regardless of the letter of the law. I don't have anything to hide, I'd just rather not get harassed over it.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You might want to look up if your state has a fender flare law also.Some states the tires can't stick out so far past a fender or flare,And that could be something your pulled over for.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
You might want to look up if your state has a fender flare law also.Some states the tires can't stick out so far past a fender or flare,And that could be something your pulled over for.
We do but it's really ambiguous. Pretty much states the tire can't stick out from the flare more than is "reasonable "