Doorless xj

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Doorless xj

I got an xj with power everything with new speakers and I would like to go doorless. Just wondering if anyone has done it and successfully reinstalled the door and all power components work (power windows,power locks,and speakers). I work on tractor trailers and was thinking I could get two old pin connectors and try that.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

1. there are 1000+ threads on this, and alot more information than i can provide u if you use the search button above. 2 the connectors unplug inside the jeep under the kick pannel trim. i've seen some people use connectors from wj's with the factory ugraded stero. what im doing is just looking for manual doors to swap on, because lets face it the power stuff on the newer models is more headache than its worth.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 PM

The dude I bought it from put new speakers in,that's honestly the only reason why I wanna be able to connect and disconnect
Old 05-02-2013, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

ah, i did this on my 93. (i have a 98 now and its completly diffrent) i took the speakers out of the doors and mounted them in the kick pannel. or alternitivly, you can find a speaker bar out of an xj in the jy or buy the one i got for 30 bucks + shipping and put them above your head. all you need to do is recover it to match your current headliner
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6

Yes when you reinstall your doors all power components will/should work. I broke the pins off of all the connections. That way it is easier to plug in/pull out. When I want to remove the doors I unplug everything, pull my bolts out, pull the wiring harness through and I am good to go. To put back on just line it up, put the bolts back in, push the wiring harness through and plug everything in. It takes about 5 mins. I have power windows/ door locks and speakers in the doors. I plug them in and everything works great. My doors sag and I have to lift them to close. Its worth it!!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:57 PM

Hahaha I don't care about sagging. Like I said I've got no problem taking the doors off it's just all the power components I'm worried about and I've been searching since I've posted and everyone's a little different. So I'm hoping my 96 is gonna be a gem and not break my ***** for once lol
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ckysodkorn_xj
ah, i did this on my 93. (i have a 98 now and its completly diffrent) i took the speakers out of the doors and mounted them in the kick pannel. or alternitivly, you can find a speaker bar out of an xj in the jy or buy the one i got for 30 bucks + shipping and put them above your head. all you need to do is recover it to match your current headliner
That's not a bad idea. My headliner is most likely going to go anyway. I wanna move the rear speaker bar up closer to the back seats and maybe get a bar for right above the front seats.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by jmarks93
Hahaha I don't care about sagging. Like I said I've got no problem taking the doors off it's just all the power components I'm worried about and I've been searching since I've posted and everyone's a little different. So I'm hoping my 96 is gonna be a gem and not break my ***** for once lol
There is a couple big connectors behind the kick panel that disconnect all the wires to the door harness.

Unplug, remove.

Reinstall, replug.

Simple as that.

Holy hell. Look what happens when I google the name of your thread.

https://www.google.com/search?q=door...w=1130&bih=721

Btw, this needs to be in Chat or a Tech forum. Not the fabrication forum.

Last edited by Lowrange2; 05-03-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:42 AM

I looked around and it was taking the doors off not about the wiring,I wasn't gonna sit there for another hour and keep looking. My idea was to get a waterproof pin connector not made by jeep take off all the connectors on the wiring now repin them and connect them to make it more easy. That sounds like fabrication to me