Door Fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Door Fixed!

Like many Cherokee 2dr owners, I was having some door issues... The top hinge on the drivers side had broken free of the body, and the bottom wasn't far behind... I have read a LOT of posts here and elsewhere about the problem, and various 'fixes'...

I decided to try to bring it to a body shop to see what they would charge to do it 'right'. The first shop told me somewhere between $500-$700, since he'd have to take the whole front apart... Not going to happen. So, I went to the local Jeep garage (NOT the dealership, just a place that specializes in Jeeps!), and asked them who to go to. They sent me to a body shop out in the woods a bit... $20 and about 2 hrs later, It's as good as new!

They welded it back, and did a PERFECT job aligning it, so it closes perfectly and smoothly.

Since the door check was missing on the drivers side, I decided that it might be a good idea to replace it, to help prevent this from happening again. So, I looked the part up, and found the best deal for it online (about $40). I was going to order it- But decided to go look closely to make sure that I'd be able to install it first- That there was no damage to the door there, or something like that.

Guess what I found? The door check! It was there- Just disconnected and retracted all the way. So, Pulled it out, cleaned it up a bit, lubed it, and reinstalled it. It works perfectly.

Now, My $1000.00 special is about as good as new! Between the now fully functional door and the new headliner, you wouldn't even know it was the same Jeep!

-Andrew
Old 01-25-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

That was a great idea!

The hinges on my 2 Door or shot too. Might run a post on Craigslist under "gigs", i'm sure that someone in my area could use a $20 spot as well.

Oh, and by the way...