does this seem like it will work good

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default does this seem like it will work good

I am tring to lift my jeep bu i have low funds because of school and i would like opinions on this lift befor i do it http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm
Old 09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

There are tons of write ups on fullsize coils but the short answer is don't use them if you your teeth to stay in your head. Ran them on a V8 ZJ for one trip and tossed them in the scrap pile.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

XJ with a regular lift = Bumpy

XJ with fullsize coils = Headache

Lifts might be expensive, but get a good one anyways cause it's such a vital part of your vehicle's performance. Another note, don't buy a cheapo lift like Zone, go for a quality one like rough country, it makes a big difference.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

you can get super lifts 5150 coils in 3in or 4.5in shipped to your door for $100. why **** with putting crapp under your jeep?
Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 AM

Year: 1988

I am actually in the process of mounting a lift I got from this page... However, and this is important!!!
1) I spent the money for all new parts, such as the front coils, Rough Country Shocks, and brand new rear leafs from rustys offroad for 4.5 inch lift.
2) I know what I am doing, and have put lifts on before on my vehicle and friends vehicles.
and 3) I saved enough money to adjust that lift kit as much as needed, as my Cherokee already needed money put in it in the first place.

I refused to put parts like coils from a 79 pick up on my jeep that has been used and abused since 1979. and I got the Grand Cherokee v-8 coils anyway.
The idea for the lift is sound, as everything you need is listed for a straight lift. SYE (slip-yoke eliminator) will be determined after lift is on, as there is a variation on a specific vehicle basis. I will also inform you that removing the old leaf springs is a PITA. my old air gun wasn't doing it, so i was doing it by hand, which was rather painful, as my hands would tell you. I am now using a 300 dollar air gun that is nevwer, and that should help a bit.

Spend a little extra money. You can get 4.5 inch lift on ebay from rough country for 459.99, and i think you still need shocks. Got all four of mine with 4.5 lift for 102.99 shipped on ebay. buying cheap is good, but it's going to cost you bout that much for all the parts, and this will aleve half the headache.

Trust me, it is cheaper, and as stated from the previous poster, why put junk under your vehicle? They say old springs sag with age, and you want to swap it with springs from an older vehicle? Also, look under XJ Tech or cherokee tech, the first section on the main forum page. There is a sticky thread on junkyard picks that'ss fit your vehicle. Hope this helped. I spent well over a grand getting new versions of all those parts, but I have experience and want to make a redneck lift. If I were you, i would straight up by the kit on ebay, or look around. Notice that lift kit doesn't state years... you are shooting in the dark there, hell, I am hoping the coils willl fit my jeep, or that is money down the drain.

Listen to me on this, because all that work to realize its the wrong stuff will set you back a lot of money, plus this job wont get done is a single day, so if it is your DD, you'll be out for about a week.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 AM

thanks for the help i was planning on a rough country 3.0 inch but i cant find new rear leafs becaus i dont want to do a add a leaf system plus i plan to use my jeep for moderate towing maybe 4-5 cars a month and a small fishing boat during summer so i dont want to spend all the money and have the suspension end up sagging
Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by anthony008
thanks for the help i was planning on a rough country 3.0 inch but i cant find new rear leafs becaus i dont want to do a add a leaf system plus i plan to use my jeep for moderate towing maybe 4-5 cars a month and a small fishing boat during summer so i dont want to spend all the money and have the suspension end up sagging
Here's some 3.5" Full leaf packs. Ironrock off road makes some good stuff for the xj.

Here's the link......... http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
Old 09-19-2011, 05:03 PM

Year: 1988

I know you said three and a half, but these four and a halfs rear leafs are solid, and I am currently installing, and they are cheap for the pair, compared to some others. Just a hand.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 AM

i just lokesd at that ironrock i like that setup, but i think i would rater go rough country and just use iron rockleafs
Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Rough Country has full leafs to. call them

PS fullsize springs are terrible.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:26 PM

why do you say the full size springs ar horrible? like the ride that it will deliver, because i really dont mind a super still ride
Old 10-08-2011, 12:50 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

i paid $120 for my 4.5 coils on ebay, then I say some on clist hardly used for $80, 3" for cheaper... look around.

then get a chevy s10 pack from the junkyard for $40 and bolt it to the back, or shackles, theres some at auto zone for $36 that work good.

click my build thread in sig for links, details, and pics

full size springs? springs from other HD cars? Im not sure what you are talking about either.

right now my rears waay to stuff but that will be fixed with removing the extra thick leafs I put and and adding the AZ shackles. Personally I like it though as I am accustomed to sport suspensions, now my lifted jeep can corner like a bmw.... not really lol