Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does this really happen??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Question Does this really happen??

As I've told you before, the AC evaporator in my Cherokee is needed to be replaced. The new one costs 309 US dollars.... an electrition says: "if you replace any thing from your Chererokee without disconnecting the battry, the check engine light will come on" .... was he correct??
Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Arab1970
As I've told you before, the AC evaporator in my Cherokee is needed to be replaced. The new one costs 309 US dollars.... an electrition says: "if you replace any thing from your Chererokee without disconnecting the battry, the check engine light will come on" .... was he correct??
It's a good habit to get into, but not strictly necessary (unless you're replacing the starter, the alternator, the PDC, or other major electrical item. If you're replacing the PCM, then disconnect the battery leads and touch them together for thirty seconds or so to clear the memory and reset the thing.)

What will be important will be that the system is fully purged before the lines are "broken," and that the system is drawn back down to a vacuum after the compressor has been replaced and the lines reset (before the system gets recharged.)

Failure to do so will leave moisture in the system, which will get mixed in the oil and foam it up. This will crap up the rest of your system - which is a Bad Thing(tm)

The aircon compressor does have an electric clutch on the front of it, but the clutch has to be engaged - which means that a fuse must be in working order (usually is,) and the AC REQ signal has to come from the HVAC controls and make it through the ECU before the compressor clutch relay is actuated.

If you want to get a little paranoid about things, pull the compressor clutch relay or compressor clutch fuse - no need to do anything else. Pulling either of those components will "deaden" the compressor clutch circuit, rendering it "safe."

Couple of side questions:
- How did you get the Arabic characters in your sig? Just curious (and I always did like the way that written Arabic looks - even though I can't read it anymore.)
- Your English is quite good. Do you use a translator programme, or had you learned English in school?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by 5-90
It's a good habit to get into, but not strictly necessary (unless you're replacing the starter, the alternator, the PDC, or other major electrical item. If you're replacing the PCM, then disconnect the battery leads and touch them together for thirty seconds or so to clear the memory and reset the thing.)

What will be important will be that the system is fully purged before the lines are "broken," and that the system is drawn back down to a vacuum after the compressor has been replaced and the lines reset (before the system gets recharged.)

Failure to do so will leave moisture in the system, which will get mixed in the oil and foam it up. This will crap up the rest of your system - which is a Bad Thing(tm)

The aircon compressor does have an electric clutch on the front of it, but the clutch has to be engaged - which means that a fuse must be in working order (usually is,) and the AC REQ signal has to come from the HVAC controls and make it through the ECU before the compressor clutch relay is actuated.

If you want to get a little paranoid about things, pull the compressor clutch relay or compressor clutch fuse - no need to do anything else. Pulling either of those components will "deaden" the compressor clutch circuit, rendering it "safe."

Couple of side questions:
- How did you get the Arabic characters in your sig? Just curious (and I always did like the way that written Arabic looks - even though I can't read it anymore.)
- Your English is quite good. Do you use a translator programme, or had you learned English in school?
Many thanks to you for this valuable info.... and about the side ques.:-
1. I've an Arabic keyboard.
2. This is because I'm a teacher of English !!!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 AM
CF Veteran

The second makes good sense. For the first - do you swap back and forth between the Arabic and English keyboards (and character maps) then?

For the main point - just doin' what I can to help out. What's the point in everything I've learned if I don't do something useful with it?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Cool! I guess I've never thought about it. Makes sense. Learn something new everyday.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Cool! I guess I've never thought about it. Makes sense. Learn something new everyday.
Even though I don't speak additional languages anymore (spoke about a dozen up to five years ago. Learned three before I graduated high school - Spanish, Latin, and German.

(In the course of travels, I'd also picked up Greek, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Farsi, Afrikaans, some Russian, Portuguese, and a smattering of Pashtu and Urdu. So, names and languages remain a hobby of mine - and I can still pick out a person's home country - three out of five times, now - by their name and listening to them talk for a couple of minutes. It's a hobby, and it costs me nothing.)

As far as "learning something new" - I try to do that, even when I'm bedridden because I'm sick or really hurt! If you're not picking up anything new, you're losing something along the path, y'know? Keep your brains in workin' order for as long as you can...
Old 05-25-2010, 11:35 PM

Wink

Even though I don't speak additional languages anymore (spoke about a dozen up to five years ago. Learned three before I graduated high school - Spanish, Latin, and German.

(In the course of travels, I'd also picked up Greek, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Farsi, Afrikaans, some Russian, Portuguese, and a smattering of Pashtu and Urdu. So, names and languages remain a hobby of mine - and I can still pick out a person's home country - three out of five times, now - by their name and listening to them talk for a couple of minutes. It's a hobby, and it costs me nothing.)

As far as "learning something new" - I try to do that, even when I'm bedridden because I'm sick or really hurt! If you're not picking up anything new, you're losing something along the path, y'know? Keep your brains in workin' order for as long as you can...

coooool
so, what do you know about Arabic so far??
Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 AM
CF Veteran

coooool
so, what do you know about Arabic so far??
I actually used to speak it rather well - I spend a good amount of time in the Middle East (since I spoke Arabic and Farsi - picked up Arabic in Egypt, and Farsi in Turkey. Used to be able to pick up languages by immersion in several weeks.)

But then, I had to go and get clobbered five years ago. I can't consciously recall them anymore. Damn.

Ever hear of "code switching?" I don't know what your background in Linguistics would happen to be - but "code switching" is what happens when you change languages for no particular reason - often in mid-sentence - without realising you're doing it.

I know I haven't lost the languages - I can still recognise the ones I used to speak when they're spoken at me (mostly,) and I have been caught "code switching" from time to time. I'm still thinking in English, but what's coming out of my mount is not English. I've switched into German, Latin, Arabic, Farsi, and Russian so far...

And, under stress, I usually manage to recall the various insults, blasphemies, and epithets that are usually the first things you hear in a new langauge (particularly since I was travelling with the Air Force when I was travelling. Travel in uniform, and you'll be able to swear quite fluently in several languages after a few years - even if you can't speak anything else.)

The primary aftereffects of my having gotten clobbered (I was struck by a car doing about 60, and landed on my head...) have been neurological - I've lost my languages, my short-term memory has very much shot craps, and I'm loads crankier than I used to be. Fortunately, most of what I'd learned before is still there - but I don't have a photographic short-term memory anymore (particularly damning is that I can remember being able to flash-memorise scenes, eye test charts, computer error screens, and the like without any effort at all - and now I can't. Damn... My most recent neuropsyhological evaluation described me as a "tragic figure" - the doctor's words, not mine. Interesting spin on it, tho...

(My psych evals have been consistently interesting reading over the years!)

So, it's not so much "what I've learned so far?" as "I wish I could remember what I'd learned in the first place!" Considering I'd spoken conversational Arabic (among others) well enough for the DoD to decide to give me proficienty pay for the language(s), I must have spoken them fairly well.

I just wish I could remember consciously how to do it again! Even though I was told I spoke Russian "like a farmer" (face it - I grew up a farmer. Why change? I wasn't insulted...) I do miss being able to speak so many additional languages...
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 AM

I actually used to speak it rather well - I spend a good amount of time in the Middle East (since I spoke Arabic and Farsi - picked up Arabic in Egypt, and Farsi in Turkey. Used to be able to pick up languages by immersion in several weeks.)

But then, I had to go and get clobbered five years ago. I can't consciously recall them anymore. Damn.

Ever hear of "code switching?" I don't know what your background in Linguistics would happen to be - but "code switching" is what happens when you change languages for no particular reason - often in mid-sentence - without realising you're doing it.

I know I haven't lost the languages - I can still recognise the ones I used to speak when they're spoken at me (mostly,) and I have been caught "code switching" from time to time. I'm still thinking in English, but what's coming out of my mount is not English. I've switched into German, Latin, Arabic, Farsi, and Russian so far...

And, under stress, I usually manage to recall the various insults, blasphemies, and epithets that are usually the first things you hear in a new langauge (particularly since I was travelling with the Air Force when I was travelling. Travel in uniform, and you'll be able to swear quite fluently in several languages after a few years - even if you can't speak anything else.)

The primary aftereffects of my having gotten clobbered (I was struck by a car doing about 60, and landed on my head...) have been neurological - I've lost my languages, my short-term memory has very much shot craps, and I'm loads crankier than I used to be. Fortunately, most of what I'd learned before is still there - but I don't have a photographic short-term memory anymore (particularly damning is that I can remember being able to flash-memorise scenes, eye test charts, computer error screens, and the like without any effort at all - and now I can't. Damn... My most recent neuropsyhological evaluation described me as a "tragic figure" - the doctor's words, not mine. Interesting spin on it, tho...

(My psych evals have been consistently interesting reading over the years!)

So, it's not so much "what I've learned so far?" as "I wish I could remember what I'd learned in the first place!" Considering I'd spoken conversational Arabic (among others) well enough for the DoD to decide to give me proficienty pay for the language(s), I must have spoken them fairly well.

I just wish I could remember consciously how to do it again! Even though I was told I spoke Russian "like a farmer" (face it - I grew up a farmer. Why change? I wasn't insulted...) I do miss being able to speak so many additional languages...
This is nice ... and about the "code switching", it's OK I can understand you because I studied it at the university !!