Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dies when shifted into 4wd low

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dies when shifted into 4wd low

Curious if anyone has had this issue. So when I am putting my 92 xj in 4wd low and put the vehicle back into drive there is a loud clank and the vehicle dies. 4wd hi works fine and drives fine. The process I am doing is from a complete stop, I put the vehicle in neutral, then pull the 4wd lever all the way down from 2hi to 4wd low, which it the lever does go all the way down to, and then when I put it back in drive the vehicle dies immediately with a loud clank. I'm guessing transfer case issue but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

Last edited by Aparm92xj; 11-02-2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 11-03-2015, 07:24 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Aparm92xj
Curious if anyone has had this issue. So when I am putting my 92 xj in 4wd low and put the vehicle back into drive there is a loud clank and the vehicle dies. 4wd hi works fine and drives fine. The process I am doing is from a complete stop, I put the vehicle in neutral, then pull the 4wd lever all the way down from 2hi to 4wd low, which it the lever does go all the way down to, and then when I put it back in drive the vehicle dies immediately with a loud clank. I'm guessing transfer case issue but just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014
Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014
Great advice. Something that everybody should know for sure!