Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Didn't Know Possible

So I guy I know who of course knows a guy had the odometer on his 2016 car rolled back significantly. It had more than twice the average miles for two years and he traded it into a dealer with half the average miles showing. The dealer just looked at the odometer and said Oh we'll give you top trade-in with low miles.

Upon hearing of this I was surprised. For the last 1o years I've bought used newer cars without considering the odometer could've been hacked so I googled to see if I was just naive on this and I see that I was.

It's not easy. Requires removing instrument cluster and de-soldering an eprom to re-program it. Takes some expertise but can be done. It reminded me of the San Bernadino shooter case where the FBI was suing Apple to get at the info on the guys phone. The FBI got the phone hacked and everyone wanted to know how. I was at an I.T. conference in San Fran where someone with cred speculated that de-soldering the memory chips from the phones board was the way they did it.

The guy I know who had it done paid a good bit to have it done and if I where him I'd be a bit concerned that it could be discovered. I feel bad for whoever got that car as it was ridden hard and put up wet.

Buyer beware.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Thanks for the info. I never checked in to having the odometer in my gauge cluster swap set back. It was 40,000+ miles less than the original one.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L

in New York your odometer reading is recorded every year when your car is inspected. I'm not sure how to get that info from the state, might be worth looking into when buying a used car.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Same yearly inspection here. That was a concern I had to.