Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Jeep Camping

How many of you camp either IN your Jeep or with your Jeep or on top of your Jeep? I have been camping my whole life but this week will be my first time camping IN my Jeep. In other words, going to put down a foam pad, a sleeping bag and pillow, and sleep in my Jeep. I have Thursday and Friday off of work so I am going to find a remote spot somewhere in the mountains and just camp out for Thursday night as a "test" to see what I need to change for the next time. And yes, there will be pictures. Really looking forward to it. Eventually I would like one of those tents that sits on the roof, but for now I am cool with sleeping inside. The funny part is I went to look at sleeping bags and also looked at the weather... the LOW Thursday night is 61 degrees. Hardly even need a sleeping bag at that temp.

Anyway, would love to hear how others here camp with their Jeeps.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

I've been setting mine up for camping out of also. I bought a Dak Explorere 2 SUV tent to go on the back. I also made a piece of plywood that I cut slots in and then pull the cargo loops that are on the floor thru the slots and then pin them. This gives me the added length for my truck bed air mattress to fit.Since my Jeep is lifted, getting in and out was going to be tuff so I added a hitch mount folding cargo carrier that I can use as a platform for getting in and out easier, plus it frees up space in my Jeep for hauling other camp equipment and I put the cooler and other things on the carrier. I'm currently looking at putting a roof rack on to haul my spare and attach a tarp to for an extra porch.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by StealthyMcStealth
How many of you camp either IN your Jeep or with your Jeep or on top of your Jeep? I have been camping my whole life but this week will be my first time camping IN my Jeep. In other words, going to put down a foam pad, a sleeping bag and pillow, and sleep in my Jeep. I have Thursday and Friday off of work so I am going to find a remote spot somewhere in the mountains and just camp out for Thursday night as a "test" to see what I need to change for the next time. And yes, there will be pictures. Really looking forward to it. Eventually I would like one of those tents that sits on the roof, but for now I am cool with sleeping inside. The funny part is I went to look at sleeping bags and also looked at the weather... the LOW Thursday night is 61 degrees. Hardly even need a sleeping bag at that temp.

Anyway, would love to hear how others here camp with their Jeeps.
We camp inside ours just fine because it is too loud to sleep in a tent.

On the property...

Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998/2018
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0/ 3.2

I camp inside also but that has changed lol girlfriend has a 7 year old and we just got a German Shepherd puppy so I have to come up with a new setup. I like tent camping and I always have but my other half and her kiddo are new to it and more use to staying in a hotel when they go somewhere. Ill have to break them in with so fancy camping gear I guess. No more just taking a cooler full of beer and hotdogs and a few cans of pork n beans anymore.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by J_Irish85
I camp inside also but that has changed lol girlfriend has a 7 year old and we just got a German Shepherd puppy so I have to come up with a new setup. I like tent camping and I always have but my other half and her kiddo are new to it and more use to staying in a hotel when they go somewhere. Ill have to break them in with so fancy camping gear I guess. No more just taking a cooler full of beer and hotdogs and a few cans of pork n beans anymore.
LOL. The first camping trip I took my ex-wife (then future wife) on I told her I would bring the food. I show up with a loaf of bread, a package of bologna, and a package of cheese. She was not happy. But she still married me.

So tomorrow night is my Jeep camping test. I'm kind of (well a lot actually) a flashlight fanatic, so I have all the batteries charged for the 20 or so flashlights I will take and the three lasers and the taser. Got ammo loaded for the several guns I will be taking. Got water freezing in plastic containers (why pay for ice?). Charged my camera battery. I am good to go. It will be warm so no campfire needed. Supposed to be a 1/4 moon so it will be decently dark, which is good. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
I've been setting mine up for camping out of also. I bought a Dak Explorere 2 SUV tent to go on the back. I also made a piece of plywood that I cut slots in and then pull the cargo loops that are on the floor thru the slots and then pin them. This gives me the added length for my truck bed air mattress to fit.Since my Jeep is lifted, getting in and out was going to be tuff so I added a hitch mount folding cargo carrier that I can use as a platform for getting in and out easier, plus it frees up space in my Jeep for hauling other camp equipment and I put the cooler and other things on the carrier. I'm currently looking at putting a roof rack on to haul my spare and attach a tarp to for an extra porch.

Cool setup! Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
We camp inside ours just fine because it is too loud to sleep in a tent.

On the property...

Nice! I have owned motorhomes and camping trailers and those are great. But sometimes it is relaxing to just go simple.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Nice! I have owned motorhomes and camping trailers and those are great. But sometimes it is relaxing to just go simple.
Hey there stealthy.... I'm a fan of going simple with it too. Just one more reason to have a Jeep.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998/2018
Engine: 4.0/ 3.2

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
Hey there stealthy.... I'm a fan of going simple with it too. Just one more reason to have a Jeep.
yep can get the jeep places motorhomes and pull behinds can't.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:29 AM
Seasoned Member

This trip will be local, less than 30 miles away. Two of my options are below, one closer to town and one way out there. Leaning towards way out there. Of course I could decide on some random spot too...

Old 03-22-2018, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

LOL. The first camping trip I took my ex-wife (then future wife) on I told her I would bring the food. I show up with a loaf of bread, a package of bologna, and a package of cheese. She was not happy. But she still married me.

So tomorrow night is my Jeep camping test. I'm kind of (well a lot actually) a flashlight fanatic, so I have all the batteries charged for the 20 or so flashlights I will take and the three lasers and the taser. Got ammo loaded for the several guns I will be taking. Got water freezing in plastic containers (why pay for ice?). Charged my camera battery. I am good to go. It will be warm so no campfire needed. Supposed to be a 1/4 moon so it will be decently dark, which is good. Looking forward to it.
Be sure and let someone you trust know about where you will be if something happens man.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I just got back from a 2 night winter camp this weekend. About 3' of snow on the ground and temps in the 0-20f range. I camped a few weekends ago in similar conditions as well.

I sleep inside the Jeep. I am 6'2"

The first time I tried to sleep with my head behind the front passenger seat with my legs going straight back towards the hatch. It was "ok" but this layout is really only good for a person that is 5'8" or less. I had to curl up a little all night long, which caused frequent wake-ups due to getting stiff while I slept.

This last trip, I reconfigured and slept diagonally with my head behind the front passenger seat, but my legs going out towards the hatch on the driver side (my toes being near where the spare tire is). In this configuration the XJ will fit someone up to about 6'3". It was much more comfortable and I slept pretty well.

I threw a couple of cargo blankets beneath a 3-layer military sleep system. And it was pretty comfortable. However, as the temps dropped really low, you could feel the coldness of the floor any where there was pressure (hips, etc.). So the 2nd night a buddy gave me a 4-5ft section of reflectix from the hardware store (thin mylar insulation sheeting, useful for reflecting body heat, often used under sleeping bags). I put that under the sleeping bag, and the 2nd night I felt no cold spots at all. It was much better. So I'll be keeping that chunk of reflectix in my kit now for the future.

There were 4 of us on the trip, and all slept in their vehicles (2 wrangler unlimiteds, 1 Toyota FJ Cruiser, and me in the XJ). I think I was the most comfortable, because the rear of the XJ can be truly "flat".

We also all had portable heaters. I used mine. When it was really cold the 2nd night we also prewarmed the vehicles before getting in for the night.

When solo camping, it beats using a tent 100%. It is quiet, warm, and secure. Plus when you are ready to go, everything is already packed...basically.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I just got back from a 2 night winter camp this weekend. About 3' of snow on the ground and temps in the 0-20f range. I camped a few weekends ago in similar conditions as well.

I sleep inside the Jeep. I am 6'2"

The first time I tried to sleep with my head behind the front passenger seat with my legs going straight back towards the hatch. It was "ok" but this layout is really only good for a person that is 5'8" or less. I had to curl up a little all night long, which caused frequent wake-ups due to getting stiff while I slept.

This last trip, I reconfigured and slept diagonally with my head behind the front passenger seat, but my legs going out towards the hatch on the driver side (my toes being near where the spare tire is). In this configuration the XJ will fit someone up to about 6'3". It was much more comfortable and I slept pretty well.

I threw a couple of cargo blankets beneath a 3-layer military sleep system. And it was pretty comfortable. However, as the temps dropped really low, you could feel the coldness of the floor any where there was pressure (hips, etc.). So the 2nd night a buddy gave me a 4-5ft section of reflectix from the hardware store (thin mylar insulation sheeting, useful for reflecting body heat, often used under sleeping bags). I put that under the sleeping bag, and the 2nd night I felt no cold spots at all. It was much better. So I'll be keeping that chunk of reflectix in my kit now for the future.

There were 4 of us on the trip, and all slept in their vehicles (2 wrangler unlimiteds, 1 Toyota FJ Cruiser, and me in the XJ). I think I was the most comfortable, because the rear of the XJ can be truly "flat".

We also all had portable heaters. I used mine. When it was really cold the 2nd night we also prewarmed the vehicles before getting in for the night.

When solo camping, it beats using a tent 100%. It is quiet, warm, and secure. Plus when you are ready to go, everything is already packed...basically.
That insulation is great stuff! I am going to pull panels and insulate my whole interior with that stuff at some point.

We use a couple layers of carpet padding as a mattress and it works fine with a thick double 0 degree bag and a comforter.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)

I bought a 12 volt heated car blanket from Walmart that I intend to warm up my mattress with. I also have the Military sleep system and have used it down to 7 below zero in my hammock.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Be sure and let someone you trust know about where you will be if something happens man.
I know this is good protocol but technically I trust no one. But for the sake of safety, pretty sure I am going with the remote spot, somewhere near the junction of 88 (paved) and 80 (dirt). 80 is the road to Fish Creek Canyon. Amazing scenery out there.

Quick Reply: Jeep Camping