Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:43 PM
I WIN!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: BIG! HUGE!
Default Dear Offroaders!

So summer time is upon us, great time to hit those trails, and have some fun! Woowhoo! Ut PLEASE while your out thwre, do us that live in these remote mountian and desert areas of high burn areas a HUGE favor! Stay out of posted non trail use areas! And dont toss your cigarettes out the damm jeep! Make sure your cats are not getting to hot!
I live in the Mountians, and the fire season has begun right along with summer, and in the last week there has been 3 fires in my area alone! One burning as I type now. Which is on a do not travel trail! Set by off road vehicle that over heated. My son has been evacuated to the city below for health reasons, as I stay behind to care and remove my animals if needed during the night. I know most will find this off topic, but as we all go out and take our jeeps out this summer please be responsible for those of us that live in the area you play in!
Thanks Purple!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

AMEN!

And let me add....

Pack your trash out with you.
Stay off posted land.
Pack your trash out with you.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
I WIN!

Thank you Tex! That too! Some people just dont realize how much money it takes to put these things out, and the risk of loosing a life of our fire fighters, let alone our homes!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 PM

Year: 2001

Glad to back you up. We had multiple big fires all around here last year. Some very close.
Some folks just don't care if it isn't in their vicinity.
I'm no tree hugger but seeing people throwing trash out their windows or leaving it at a break spot just pisses me off to no end.
Ask my daughter what happens if she drops a gum wrapper on the ground. She won't let that happen again!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996

Good thread PGG, this is stuff we don't thing about. We just had a fire up here in Michigan (Pike lake fire) that burnt 21,000 acres it was a mile wide and fourty two miles long.....This is unheard of in Michigan and it's only june!!! We don't have the equipment to fight fire's like this, the only reason it stopped is it hit lake superior.

Be smart everyone, have a safe and fun summer!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 PM
I WIN!

Yeah, my first year here we had a horrible Arson set fire called the Esperanza Fire, it killed 5 firefighters and burned over 60 thousand acres in less than a day! High winds and years of dry brush that over grew. Burned completely around my community. It was aweful to see the wildlife running thru past us on fire as they tried to get away from the fast moving flames. The man that set it had set several that summer and was eventually charged with the crimes, but this now has our community on high alert and we do everything possible to keep the laws enforced when trails are closed and help our neigh ors during emergencies like this. Most of us have been trained as first responders and get medically needed people off the mountian ASAP, followed by our animals so no more are lost due to peoples ignorance!

Last edited by purplegrocerygogetter; 07-15-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

There is one over 50,000 acres burning about 10 miles west of my house in the mountains. It has torched the first few miles of one of my favorite trails
Old 06-15-2012, 02:26 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Also add, if you see any trash please pick it up and throw it in a bag. Just because it's not yours doesnt mean you can't pick it up! I'm heading to dishpan and cleghorn next weekend and before we hit the trail we have rules and guidelines to follow to keep the trails open and keep the environment clean. Great post!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:47 AM
I WIN!

Yea, at Glamis every year, there is a clean up out there. I agree yes pick up trash if you see it.
And a update on the fire is.... As of 10pm the forward spread has been stopped & 50% contained. Last fire burned a very well know trail, called Indian truck trail. Again caused by illegal roading on a cloased trail for summer.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:33 AM

Year: 2000

That's frightening.. be careful! And yea people, c'mon.. Those trails are posted for a reason, for your safety and the safety of others. Keep your Jeeps off of virgin forest and on the proper trails. It's the reason driveable trails do get shut down, because people don't take care of the few we ARE given.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Think "Tread Lightly".
Old 06-15-2012, 10:25 AM
I WIN!

Originally Posted by scottmphoto
Think "Tread Lightly".
More like think responsible!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I think what helps too is reporting those that dont follow rules. I yelled at a group that were burning their trash in a scramble area to stop and clean up, but they laughed at me and tore off. I called them in and let DNR/police handle them. The DNR and ORV workers travel around on ATV's looking for stuff like this in our park.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:31 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

^ I would have done the same thing

Im not one for tattle tailing or putting my nose in another persons business, but... there is definitely a difference between butting out and looking out for yourself and the things you care about. Whether you truly care about the natural world or are just there to wheel the **** out of your rig, we are still responsible for our impact on the environment. If you go out there you take that on, its not a choice..
Old 06-15-2012, 06:40 PM

Year: 2004

too hot for off roading. This is the hibernating season here. Fall , winter and spring is the time to go out.

Quick Reply: Dear Offroaders!