Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Craiglist for paint guys

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

My XJ is in need of a paint job but I dont want to go with Maaco. So I was considering find someone off craiglist that posts that they have experience and can paint, ect. Would it be worth it to get quotes or are they just crap. Don't know if they would do good job. Anybody have experience?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

?

Experience with who?

Most folks that advertise on craigslist do it in their garage...
Old 08-27-2012, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Where you from? I know a pro that does paint cheaper than most. He did mine...
Attached Thumbnails Craiglist for paint guys-image-3424218543.jpg   Craiglist for paint guys-image-2865659805.jpg   Craiglist for paint guys-image-2717284275.jpg  
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Guys that do paint and body work on the side tend to be flakey, do not pay until the job is done and to your liking.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Guys that do paint and body work on the side tend to be flakey, do not pay until the job is done and to your liking.
THIS. those guys are most of the time flakes. There are good guys out there but remember that the 1000 dollar macco job is most likely better then some do it your selfer in his garage.

There is sooo many variables when spraying a car. The MOST important thing is prep. I would go to a shop unless you really really trust the guy painting, and you know he is good with prep.

I do this for a career
Old 08-27-2012, 06:31 PM

MAACO can do GREAT if you do the prep yourself.. Thats where they lack.. There paint work is fine.

Sand it down very well yourself. Tape everything off. Make sure to take your time and do it right. Then take it to maaco and be impressed with your 500 dollar paint job..
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 PM

Year: 97

Originally Posted by Cameron770
MAACO can do GREAT if you do the prep yourself.. Thats where they lack.. There paint work is fine.

Sand it down very well yourself. Tape everything off. Make sure to take your time and do it right. Then take it to maaco and be impressed with your 500 dollar paint job..
I'll have to disagree here... maybe where you're at but I've seen maaco in socal and out here and have yet to be impressed, their finish has WAY to much orange peel for my tastes...

OP, it would be helpful to all and especially yourself if you filled out your profile so we'd know where you're at, maybe someone here knows someone in your neck of the woods...

but to answer your question, I would want to see their finished work first... Personally I'd grab an old fender off an old car a piece of sheetmetal or whatever and have them shoot that with some product they have laying around.. in front of me.. if they don't like it tough luck I'm not going to leave my car here otherwise, period...

and YOU buy the paint and primer personally in hand at the counter... he supplies, fillers, sundries etc...

on second thought, why don't you call your local automotive paint suppliers and see if they have someone that paints "on the side", guys have no overhead so you get a slamming deal...

if you were in oklahoma, I'd consider painting it.... and I'll paint mine first to show you
Old 08-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Year: 1991

Just because someone advertises on craigslist doesnt mean their work is crap. A lot of guys in that business would rather do their thing on the side and take 100% of the profit as opposed to working for a shop. I know a guy in my area that can paint your car ANY color that means if you like the new steel green you see on newer chevy's, this guy can do it all for under $1k. Yeah some guys suck but anyone worth hiring for a paint job should have some kind of album with previous work done. Check his work out.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:03 PM

I have tried over and over to ad my location but its not saving. I am in Macomb, Michigan if anyone knows a decent paint job guy to recommend me to.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:15 PM

Thanks btw
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by Shanejo
I have tried over and over to ad my location but its not saving. I am in Macomb, Michigan if anyone knows a decent paint job guy to recommend me to.
Agh wish you were in South Carolina. Guy that painted my Jeep paints cars for the show "Army Wives" and painted lincolns for the movie "Dear John".. Did mine Perfect for under 1k, Sorry lol
Old 08-28-2012, 12:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Personally, I wouldnt trust ANYONE who is willing to paint a vehicle, especially an XJ, for a grand or less. WAY too much work involved to do a GOOD job to only get $1K. Unless of course thats for ONLY the paint and not prep, taping, materials, etc. $1K to paint is SUPER DIRT!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Go around to your local body shops, and see if any of them are doing painting on the side. A lot of them do. Also check with any boat Marina. As for craigslist, If you can find a local guy. Go talk to him, look around his spray area. (Hopefully, it is a booth) See if it is possible to see any of his work. Maybe you can help out with the prep work, to keep the cost down. I have 35 years of experience in painting cars, trucks (even semis) Airplanes, motorcycle, and boats (yachts 30ft. or longer. That are sitting on cradles, because they need a travel lift to move them) Remember, you get what you pay for in a paint job. All my paint jobs, I got thru my oldest brother's body shop, or my youngest brother's Marina. It is easy to undercut their prices, and everyone wants to save money. Now I mostly spray paint boats, Because all my Friends and acquaintances have cars and want something for nothing. And the marina's prices are so high, that I can under bid them and still make a easy profit. Not mention boats don't have rust!! Cars you take anywhere to get painted. You can not do that with a 42 ft. sail boat with a 8 ft. keel. They are like captive customers.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

how can anyone have any experience with them? the people that post on craigslist are random and no actually associated with craigslist in any way, shape or form, they just ran an ad there. There's no telling what you're gonna get.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Year: 97

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
Go around to your local body shops, and see if any of them are doing painting on the side. A lot of them do. Also check with any boat Marina. As for craigslist, If you can find a local guy. Go talk to him, look around his spray area. (Hopefully, it is a booth) See if it is possible to see any of his work. Maybe you can help out with the prep work, to keep the cost down. I have 35 years of experience in painting cars, trucks (even semis) Airplanes, motorcycle, and boats (yachts 30ft. or longer. That are sitting on cradles, because they need a travel lift to move them) Remember, you get what you pay for in a paint job. All my paint jobs, I got thru my oldest brother's body shop, or my youngest brother's Marina. It is easy to undercut their prices, and everyone wants to save money. Now I mostly spray paint boats, Because all my Friends and acquaintances have cars and want something for nothing. And the marina's prices are so high, that I can under bid them and still make a easy profit. Not mention boats don't have rust!! Cars you take anywhere to get painted. You can not do that with a 42 ft. sail boat with a 8 ft. keel. They are like captive customers.
looks like you found a 'niche' in the market, run with it brother !!!!

Quick Reply: Craiglist for paint guys