XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Could I have some opinions?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Could I have some opinions?

I'm thinking about putting some tail light guards on my 94 XJ, but they are pretty much useless and kind of pricey ($125). I like the look of them, but want to know if anyone else will. Any opinions are appreciated.

Here's what they look like.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: I6

i like em and think they look sweet,always wondered how much they were as i wanted a set. Not anymore after finding out that price.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998 & 1991
Engine: 98-4.0 & 91-4.0

I'm sure you could fab some up somehow. I wouldn't know how myself but I guess someone with some fab skills could do it easily. I like the look though, but not for that price.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

my buddy has thoes same lightguards on his 94 and it looks sweet. next time i see him ill take a picture for you. he backed into a really low mailbox and broke one light so he bought the guards but he found his used at a flea market for $20
Old 08-20-2009, 07:41 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H/O I6

ive been thinking of these for my 93. i see alot of grand cherokees with them and i do like them. even if you could find some off of another suv at the junkyard you might be able to make some mounting brackets and make them work. especially after seeing the $125 pricetag.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Oath
I'm sure you could fab some up somehow. I wouldn't know how myself but I guess someone with some fab skills could do it easily. I like the look though, but not for that price.
If only I had fab skills.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 PM

ive never had them on a cherokee, but i did have them on my Rubicon..

i dont know if it would be the same or not, since the tail lights on wranglers are outset from the body and on cherokees, they are inset, but heres my experience

i figured, well, they should protect the lights just fine....

but the 2nd time out with them, i slide back into a tree, not to hard, but hard enough they if i didnt have them, the tail light would surely have busted.....BUT, what it did do , was push in on my sheet metal....so instead of breaking a 10 dollar tail light i coulda replaced at walmart, i put a big dent in my tub, all the way around the tail light in the shape of the guard...lol

so, i dont like them......they look good, but are so strong, that they actually dent the jeep instead of obsorbing the impact them selves

im assuming the same outcome would come about on the XJ too...bc you bolt the guard to the tub essentually

thats my .02
Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 PM

heres a couple pics...its kinda hard to see, but the dent is there...more towards the bottom of the light

Old 08-21-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by drummerwookie
heres a couple pics...its kinda hard to see, but the dent is there...more towards the bottom of the light

Ouch. Well they did what they were suppose to (kinda). Were you able to fix the damage?
Old 08-21-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by WolfeMan
Ouch. Well they did what they were suppose to (kinda). Were you able to fix the damage?
i didnt even worry about it honestly...it wasnt bad enough to crack any paint, so it wasnt going to rust...so i just let it be....trust me, it wasnt the only dent, nor the worst dent, i had on that jeep..lol..

but yea, they did hold up really well under pressure..lol...a little to well
Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by drummerwookie
i didnt even worry about it honestly...it wasnt bad enough to crack any paint, so it wasnt going to rust...so i just let it be....trust me, it wasnt the only dent, nor the worst dent, i had on that jeep..lol..

but yea, they did hold up really well under pressure..lol...a little to well
Yeah, dosen't seem that noticeable. Makes for an interesting story too. The tail light guard that protected the light but damaged the body. lol indeed.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM

but as you can see, there is another dent on the bottom of the corner there...and a small dent right above that

so, as i said, it wasnt the only dent
Old 08-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

anythign that blocks the light from your front or rear lights is illegal....least here in pa
Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cherokee 4.0
anythign that blocks the light from your front or rear lights is illegal....least here in pa
Guess where I live? (PA) But, it dosen't cover them entirely. You can still see all the lights. You sure they'd be illegal? I see wrap around front brush guards all the time.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by WolfeMan
Guess where I live? (PA) But, it dosen't cover them entirely. You can still see all the lights. You sure they'd be illegal? I see wrap around front brush guards all the time.
i dont think these would be illegal.....but even if they were, they're only the kinda things that are illegal so the cops can find some reason to pull you over after leaving a possible drug dealers house or something like that...lol..

if you know what i mean...there are a lot of laws out there like that which are only enforced if the cop wants to pull you over for something else...something much bigger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Could I have some opinions?