Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

cherokee vs wrangler!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cherokee vs wrangler!!

So I have a 96 cherokee that I bought a few month back it has 188xxx miles on it. My question is I have a rival enemy that bought a newer wrangler today and I am wondering what your opinons on wranglers vs a cherokee are. I fear they will be bais but I want to hear them anyway.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Well for one thing Wranglers are worth more than Cherokees
Old 12-31-2009, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

in truth wranglers have more room for tires, trimming, better transfer case skid, all 4 corners coils (97-present) and they weigh less. Cherokees can carry more, have a rack on top with little trouble, hold more people, makes its own tent, and has a better front axle stock (Dana 30 hp, and some have the Dana 44) and the best thing about Cherokees.....sUTT CHEAP!!!! so it is really all preference, and budget!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

They do both have their PRO's and CON's..
For highway use, XJ's are definitely better.
XJ's are unibody, Wranglers have a real frame
Overall, mileage is better in XJ's
Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

Plus cherokee wheel better and flex better
Old 12-31-2009, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

The longer wheel base helps on some obstacles. From what I've seen, a xj on 31's will follow a wrangler on 33's about anywhere.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:09 AM

Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by lilredxj99
The longer wheel base helps on some obstacles. From what I've seen, a xj on 31's will follow a wrangler on 33's about anywhere.
This is true. but i will also take my tj places i will not take my xj due to the body vulnerability of a xj. no roof line to mangle just cage and windshield frame on the tj. but i love my xj for camping trips and fishing and family. much much beter highway manners. just my .02
Old 12-31-2009, 09:20 AM

Year: 1995

Had a YJ, now have an XJ. So far I like the XJ better. Has done everything I have asked of it (both have 31's with 4" lifts) . The XJ is a better all around vehicle IMO.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Edmonds shows the '97 4 cyl Wrangler at 3092 lbs. Wouldn't that be a little heavier than the XJ?
Old 12-31-2009, 10:02 AM

Year: 94 XJ, 03 TJ, 03 WJ, 90 XJ
Engine: 4.0 and 4.7 HO

I've had XJ's for 20 years, adding a TJ (i.e. Wrangler) to the family 7 years ago. I drive both interchangeably. I believe comparing XJ's (or any unibody) to a short wheelbase (CJ, YJ, TJ, etc) to be apples to oranges.

While both share similar basic functions, they're designed for diffing purposes. Blanket statements implying one over the other is unrealistic/uninformed .

As no basis of comparison was stated, I'll guess off-road ability. But this still leaves questions such as what TJ trim package (i.e. Rubi, Freedom, etc), as well as your XJ's trim package. Is your XJ running an AW4, AX15, NP231, NP232, etc? What about the TJ (NV3500, etc)?

Two good examples on TJ trim packages would be Rubi's and Unlimited (i.e. 4 door LJ). An off-road comparison of a Rubi to a stock XJ will yield the Rubi the winner in virtually every category excluding carrying capacity. A stock XJ comparison to a bare bones LJ may be a pretty close match across all categories.

A few very general observations I would have driving both for years: This assumes both rigs have identical drive trains, similar diameter tires, etc.

1) Short wheelbase has the advantage on tight narrow trails hands down.
2) A unibody (i.e longer wheelbase) will have an edge in climbing.
3) Short wheelbase has better approach, departure, and breakover angles.
4) Unibody has much better cargo capacity, hands down.
5) Short wheelbase much cheaper/easier to modify pretty much across the board.
6) TJ after market probably still edges out XJ's, but it's so close at this point, I wouldn't consider it a concern.
7) Short wheel base (through roughly 2004) were still utilitarian enough to make them generally easier to repair. This is primarily because the unibody market is more upscale, having more creature comforts available. Heated seats, electric mirrors, duo HVAC zone etc make unibodies more comfortable, but more things to break.
8) Short wheelbase wins long term frame/body maintenance. Rust on a unibody can be a death sentence. Rust on short wheelbase and body can be replaced (going fiberglass as well). Frame rails can be more easily repaired or replaced as well.
9) Overall ride quality goes to the unibody, hands down.
10) Wheel wells on short wheelbase favor wheel modification. Try putting 35+ on a Unibody without fender/wheel well modifications.

Bottom line - For short trips (few days), I take TJ. It's extremely nibble, fewer things to go wrong and (for me) just funnier to drive. However, for longer trips, or situations where I need to be totally self reliant (i.e. carry more gear), my XJ is always the choice. Additionally XJ is my preference for carrying kayaks, bikes or other larger sporting gear. .

As for daily driving, I prefer the XJ's over short wheelbase simply because XJ's were designed as a road vehicle. One huge issue I have with my TJ is design of the passenger seat in combination to the B-pillar. The blind spot created is very dangerous.

Finally - An experienced driver can take an under classed vehicle to the winners circle. So all the equipment comparisions can be moot with a gifted driver .
Old 12-31-2009, 10:10 AM

I was looking for a wrangler when I stumbled on my first XJ.
They are less than 1/2 the price of the same year wrangler.
I love being able to pile in 4 people and their gear comfortably and ride in the AC or heat.
Parts are everywhere for them cheap..... I see 30 XJ's for every one wrangler I see being parted out.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:01 AM

Year: 1995

Had a YJ and now have an XJ

YJ had more of a "fun factor"...top off... windshield down...more aftermarket parts available...
Also it rode like a tank, couldnt carry my kids, 2 hockey bags and my dog, leaked like crazy

XJ-more comfortable, quieter, off road capable, carry lots...better on gas as it is less of a brick!

All depends on what you need out of a vehicle. For me, I prefer the XJ...but still miss the YJ.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

the main point is the wheelbase and approach/breakover/departure angles

similarly built wranglers smoke cherokees in fairly flat rock gardens and anything with tight turns

but xj's have the edge if any hills are involved.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

My cousin and I have this debate all the time. He has a TJ and a JK, I have an XJ. While yes Wranglers are the “original” that doesn’t mean they’re the best. Yes they have more room for bigger tires at stock height, but they lack the wheel base the XJ has. I am able to do more with mine than he can with either of his. The JK is stock with 31s and the TJ has a 2” lift on 33s. Mine has the best of both worlds with on road manners and off road capabilities. While he chooses between one or the other.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

hehehe
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: cherokee vs wrangler!!