Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Cherokee vs grand cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Cherokee vs grand cherokee

Hello all, I have been led to believe that the 1999 model year is best all around for stock Cherokees. Looking for the ability to sleep in the back and understand the Grand Cherokee is longer. Do these two models compare mechanically? (Providing the same 4.0 motor, trans etc.) Or is the Grand less bullet proof.
Thanks.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by soon to be ex subie owner
Hello all, I have been led to believe that the 1999 model year is best all around for stock Cherokees. Looking for the ability to sleep in the back and understand the Grand Cherokee is longer. Do these two models compare mechanically? (Providing the same 4.0 motor, trans etc.) Or is the Grand less bullet proof.
Thanks.
i personally wouldn't get a grand with the 4.0....grands are heavier and the 4.0 just doesn't have the same punch it does in the xj
Old 11-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

The 4.0 moves ZJ's alright. The bodies of XJ, ZJ, WJ are all at least equally if not progressively sturdy. The 5.2/5.9 of the ZJ may not have articles written about reaching 600k miles, but they are very reliable. The 4.7 of the WJ is even a respectable engine. It's the transmissions of the Grands where things can go wrong eventually.

You may be splitting hairs that, depending on your usage of the vehicle, you'll never even encounter. Like the search of a 99 XJ above all else? For 99+% of people, the minuscule hairs that are split by that distinction may as well be nonexistent/meaningless.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

as has been said... it really depends on what your overall goal is and what you're planning on using it for.
I have heard/seen from a number of people, that while you can turn a GC into a capable off-roader, it generally costs more to do so as the parts are more expensive for it verses the XJ.
I've also seen a number of stories of GC's being plagued with electrical gremlins too. Not that the XJ's are perfect, but not the same issues as the GC's have.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A 99 grand has the cracking head and the dana 35 in the rear.If im going grand cherokee 98 or older v8 or a 98 limited 5.9 if you get lucky.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I prefer the cherokee because they have a stouter drivetrain the only common weak link is if you get one with a Dana 35 rear, I would avoid those and get one with a chrysler 8.25, also the after market support is better for an XJ.
I will explain some of the differences and for this post I will be referring to the 91 and newer Cherokee XJ vs the ZJ and WJ grand Cherokee.

Engine- the XJs came with either a 2.5 I4 or the 4.0 I6 both are very reliable if taken care of and it is not uncommon for them to go 300K or more, just know that the later 4.0 models in the 00-01 XJ and some of the WJ 4.0s had issues with the head cracking. The ZJ came with either the 4.0 or 5.2 v8 and in 98 a 5.9 v8 all of these are the last of Chryslers good engines in my opinion. The WJ had the 4.0 or a 4.7 v8 with isn't the greatest.

Transmission- The XJ used ax15 manual transmission or the aw4 automatic, both are good reliable transmissions if you take care of them. The ZJ and WJ used a chrysler auto trans and they are known for there failures just like the ones in the Dodge pickups of the same era. Some grand Cherokee did come with a manual trans and I believe it is an ax15 also but I have yet to see a manual trans grand Cherokee.

Transfercase- XJs came with either a np231 or np242 both are good but I prefer the 231. The ZJ and WJ came with an np242 or a np249 which I wouldn't want because it has a viscous coupler that wears out and is a permanent full time 4x4 case with no ability to have 2wd.

Axles- both use a Dana 30 front which is a pretty stout axle and can handle 33s. The XJ came with the failure prone dana 35 rear or the Chrysler 8.25 which is a stout axle for what its in. The ZJ and WJ had either a Dana 35 or a odd dana 44 that has an aluminum housing and is better than a dana 35 but not as good as a chrysler 8.25 or a regular dana 44.

Suspension- The front is a coil spring design on the XJ, ZJ, and WJ and they are all basically the same. The rear of an XJ uses a leaf spring set up and the rear of a ZJ and WJ are coil sprung.

Last edited by 00t444e; 11-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
A 99 grand has the cracking head and the dana 35 in the rear.If im going grand cherokee 98 or older v8 or a 98 limited 5.9 if you get lucky.
A 99 is a WJ, not a ZJ like the others you're comparing it to. A 4.0 99 may have a D35, but a 4.0 WJ isn't recommended unless sluggish performance is acceptable (in which case the D35 is likely a perfectly acceptable axle as it is for so many Jeep owners who don't put massive rubber on their vehicle). Though I will point out that a WJ with the 4.0 from 2004 does NOT have a cracking head as they came with the TUPY head.

A 4.7 V8 WJ has a D44a which doesn't win any awards but is plenty fine. Until he says otherwise, I'm just assuming this soon-to-be ex-subie-owner is just looking for a capable, reliable DD that he/she can sleep in. If that is simply the case, any Jeep will do, and they will ALL do without catastrophic axle failure. Not everyone needs Pirate4x4 level strength in every component of their vehicle to have a lifetime of reliable service from said vehicle.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

mid 2002 the wj got the TUPY head on it.As far as the grands the zj v8s are better made to me.The wj got the checking head 99- mid 02 the 4.7 v8 has valve and timing chain problems.And lets not forget the chrysler trans pretty much all of them use its hit or miss on problems.Thats why i say the zjs the 5.2 and 5.9 are based off the 360 which is pretty much hard to kill.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mschi772
Until he says otherwise, I'm just assuming this soon-to-be ex-subie-owner is just looking for a capable, reliable DD that he/she can sleep in. If that is simply the case, any Jeep will do, and they will ALL do without catastrophic axle failure. Not everyone needs Pirate4x4 level strength in every component of their vehicle to have a lifetime of reliable service from said vehicle.
I'm not looking for a rock crawler but I need to go beyond a soccer-mom rig. I tend to be hard on equipment.( Had my '88 subie airborne a few times.) I do go "off road". Would like something that could handle the "Alpine Loop" in Colorado. Probably would like a little lift and a bit larger tires. Posi traction sounds good. (Read about that for the Commanders). I often go to ghost towns in Nevada. Would like it to get to the Saline Valley in CA. I tend to drive fast and don't want to deystroy it over that pot hole I didn't see at 60+. On the other hand I'm retired and getting used to creature comforts. Got a Toyota Hilander for cheap but it it a pavement queen. Needed something when my 2nd subie gave out. Just looking to switch it up a bit as the newer subies don't seem to be designed for what I am looking for and the old stuff getting harder to find.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L6

A stock XJ will handle the Alpine Loop just fine if you're a conscientious driver. I've wheeled everything in that area and the only trail I can think of off the top of my head that I wouldn't attempt in a well-maintained stock XJ is Poughkeepsie Gulch.

You did say you're hard on equipment though, and I'm not... So, I would suggest doing a small lift (~2") with longer shocks, swaybar disconnects, transfer case and gas tank skidplates and a rear lunchbox locker. That would allow you to do things without having to be as "precise". If you did all that you'd have an XJ that is much more capable off-road but still keeps great road manners.

Last edited by Tbone289; 11-29-2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by soon to be ex subie owner
Had my '88 subie airborne a few times
I mean, if that's how you'll be treating the vehicle, even an XJ is going to give-up on you eventually. Maybe you should be looking for something with a true frame.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by mschi772
I mean, if that's how you'll be treating the vehicle, even an XJ is going to give-up on you eventually. Maybe you should be looking for something with a true frame.
So I should stick with old school Subaru's?
Old 12-10-2017, 03:39 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

No. You can plate the uniframe, and gain a ton of strength in the uniframe of an XJ. I suggest going XJ only due to the fact that there's more options available to you for what you want to do. Look up jeepspeed. Sounds like what you want out of it. High speed, handling, maneuverable, and not a crawler, yet will get you over the hard stuff when needed.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

You can do anything to a grand you can a xj tho,Off road the zj is a little better then the wj.As far as a daily driver only the zj and wj tie to me but i rather have the zj for the v8.