Can Someone ID These?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6CYL
Default Can Someone ID These?

First time posting, sorry if this is the wrong spot, but i recently purchased a 1994 jeep cherokee and am not sure what these are. If you need more info just ask.

this, as you can see, is above the driverside front door on the roof. no clue what its for

Can Someone ID These?-image-4110008764.jpg

and this im alittle more concerned about is unplugged and cant even find the other end for the cylindrical one. no idea what either are too though.

Can Someone ID These?-image-2015382521.jpg

So if anyone can shed light on these three things (two plugs and roof thing) i would really appreciate it.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

looks to be a CB antenna mount on the roof. the silver plug would be the antenna cable that plugs into the back of a CB radio. the other plug i couldnt tell you what it is for as mine is unplugged also but hasnt affected anything yet.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Looks like a cb antenna base on the roof. The silver connector would be the other end of the antenna. Your cherokee wouldn't happen to be a gov model like police or forest service?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Originally Posted by XJ-92
looks to be a CB antenna mount on the roof. the silver plug would be the antenna cable that plugs into the back of a CB radio. the other plug i couldnt tell you what it is for as mine is unplugged also but hasnt affected anything yet.
Ha, we said nearly the exact same thing. What they say just be true.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM

not sure if it was gov or park service issue. thanks for the info. wanna put a roof rack on and had no idea what it was for. and as for those cables i guess i shouldnt worry then. thanks for the info
Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 PM

checked out the roof thing, definitely to cb antenna. any ideas on how i could easily patch that so i can remove it? unscrewed it and kinda dont want to leave it open. im worried it could interfere with my roof rack.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by pk94xj
checked out the roof thing, definitely to cb antenna. any ideas on how i could easily patch that so i can remove it? unscrewed it and kinda dont want to leave it open. im worried it could interfere with my roof rack.
Hmm, depending on the size of the hole you might could remove it and bond-o the hole. You would have to paint over it though
Old 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM

its probably +/- a square inch. not very big. and being white, could i get away with just painting that spot/roof or would i have to paint whole thing? and how hard is it to bondo? i have a rust spot behind passenger side rear wheel (will post picks tmrw if needed) and i was told to bondo that
Old 02-09-2012, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by pk94xj
its probably +/- a square inch. not very big. and being white, could i get away with just painting that spot/roof or would i have to paint whole thing? and how hard is it to bondo? i have a rust spot behind passenger side rear wheel (will post picks tmrw if needed) and i was told to bondo that
It's not hard at all to bondo. Just get it on there and smear it to get it to look right. Once cured you can paint over it. And you CAN get away with just spraying it with white paint but it will be noticeable. I would still just do it and spray a quick coat of white paint on there and it will look pretty decent. Sane with passenger side rust.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L HO

Ive been a body man for the better part of 2 1/2 decades.......dont use Bondo to fill the hole, it wont work. Bondo does not fill holes well. The BEST way is to cut a small disc of sheetmetal and have it welded in. For a GOOD fix, Id pull the headliner, grind the underside and use fiberglass mat to cover the hole. Let it sag just a bit so the filler used on the top will fill into the sag. Then on the top of the roof, grind off the paint and use Dynaglass or Bondo-glass. Its basically bondo but it has fiberglass strands mixed in. Will hold better than regular Bondo. Sand smooth, prime and rattlecan the spot with white paint, reinstall headliner.

Last edited by lookin2wheel; 02-09-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by lookin2wheel
dont use Bondo, it wont work. The BEST way is to cut a small disc of sheetmetal and have it welded in. Foe a GOOD fix, Id pull the headliner, grind the underside and use fiberglass mat. Then on the top of the roof, grind off the paint and use Dynaglass or Bondo-glass. Its basically bondo but it has fiberglass strands mixed in. Will hold better than regular Bondo. Sand smooth, prime and rattlecan the spot with white paint.
I mean, i agree that way would be better, but thats way more work and he might not have the time. Annnddd You don't think bond would work
For a one inch hole???

Last edited by zombie jeep101; 02-09-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

bondo will just fall through. it isn't called "filler" for nothing.
you need to cover the hole first, even a piece of duct tape on the underside of the roof, then fill with bondo. the fiberglass strand kind as mentioned is stronger.

one way or the other, you will have to cover the hole first.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
bondo will just fall through. it isn't called "filler" for nothing.
you need to cover the hole first, even a piece of duct tape on the underside of the roof, then fill with bondo. the fiberglass strand kind as mentioned is stronger.

one way or the other, you will have to cover the hole first.
Agreed.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Duct tape and Bondo

No offense but thats just asking for trouble down the road. The ducttape is too flexible and the bondo will just crack after awhile. BTW I have tried to patch a 1inch hole with bondo before on a fender, it just cracked and broke away after a couple of weeks. Best way to fix it is get a piece of sheet metal and weld it then cover with bondo. If you cant weld the sheet metal some JB weld will atleast hold the sheet metal on there. Much better option if you ask me especially being that its on the friggen roof exposed to the direct sunlight and potential for water leak.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.7 Hesco stroker

For a real quick fix, looks aside, just get a stainless nut and bolt and some silicone.