Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Buying Tires

I'm gonna be buying KM2's in a week or so, but before then I got a few questions before I pull the trigger..

Do you guys normally just have sears match the best price you can find? And if so, do they actually match online prices, or is it just local stores?

Also, would any of you recommend getting the road hazard warranty? I've heard a lot of mixed reviews and I'm not sure it's worth it with the short span life of KM2's..

On a side note, anybody that links a better price than this for 33x12.5x15 KM2's get's a high five http://www.4wheelparts.com/shoppingcart.aspx
Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you tried sams club?
Old 03-16-2014, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Also check out Pepboys, I'm planning on getting my 35-12.5-15 General Grabbers there. their mounted & balanced prices were really good.

the 4Wheel Parts price of $209.99 is really good, I just checked out Discount Tire & they were @ $ 257.00.

I kinda like buying local, if you have issues they can fix the problem right away versus sending stuff in the mail. I have never gotten the warrentee, but I think I will when I pick up the my new 35's.

It's cost me more money in replacing & fixing when I could have just returned them......

Good luck
Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Remember, at 4WP, if you find a better price and show it to them, they'll match or beat it. That's how my friends do it here at our store.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
Remember, at 4WP, if you find a better price and show it to them, they'll match or beat it. That's how my friends do it here at our store.
I haven't been able to find a better price than them, especially with the $50 mail in rebate. 790 shipped ain't too bad
Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 AM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Have you tried sams club?

Sam's Club or Costco are good options, if they don't have them in stock they will bring them to your store for free. I wanna say mine was about 190 per tire at Costco, 33x10.50r15 KM2s, plus the 50 dollar memberhip brought it to about 810. It only took them a week to get them from their warehouse. If you're trying to go bigger then 33s this may not work for you, i think i rememer them saying that was the biggest they carried in KM2s.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Or you can take the quote to discount and have them beat the price. I did that, went to walmart got a quote for 31x10.5 'avengers' took it too discount and got my 'Duratracs' for 721 installed with road hazzard
Old 03-17-2014, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Discount tire direct best has the best prices when you figure in shipping. Print out there online quote and take it to the local Ford dealer they will match price.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

For BFG's I would go to sams club as mentioned earlier.
Wait for when they are doing one of there rebates off a set of 4. Could be from 50 to 100 dollars off.

I've been told many times by discount tire they won't price match Sam's Club because that is a member only price. (They're in the same parking lot here )
Old 03-17-2014, 04:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991

I got my 33x10.5x15 km2s from a local shop. From what I found most places were $210 a piece so I went with the local guys. I didn't bother with any warranty on mine
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Member

if you're in a metro area start at discount, get a written quote, take it to bell, get a written quote, go to a different discount, get a written quote, end up at belle (free alignment check)
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8 V6

Check local folks. I found a guy with a small shop on Craigslist selling 33x12.50R15 Mickey Thompson ATZ's for $160 each.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Default discount tires new wheel sanding policy

just trying to let people know that discount tire now sands/scuffs the back of all used wheels. they used an angle grinder with scuff pad on the back my 4 month old wheels. now they will rust. they couldnt tell me why but that it is a new policy. IF YOU VALUE YOUR WHEELS DO NOT GO TO DISCOUNT TIRE. I COULD UNDERSTAND IF THE WHEEL WAS REALY RUSTED.

if anyone else has come across this, please share.

DISCOUNT TIRE PLEASE CHIME IN ON THIS NEW POLICY.

ps not sure if this topic is in the correct place. im a newb. any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by 96sexj; 04-02-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: trying to add image
Old 04-02-2014, 11:36 AM

i tried
to post a full description of my experience with discount tire put it wouldnt let me. if anyone care to hear let me know.

im a newb. trying to figure this out.

Last edited by 96sexj; 04-02-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 AM

I GUESS I FIGURED IT OUT! im starting this post to inform people about discount tires "new" wheel sanding policy and to get feed back from others with similar problems with discount tire. so...ive been buying tires from discount for over 20 years. they have damaged wheels, cross threaded studs, damaged center caps with their air guns cuz there too lazy to pop them off before removing studs, they all ways tell you it will be 45 minutes, blah, blah, blah. my most recent two events are as follows. i bought some new wheels and make an appointment to have them installed. its around christmas and i had some shopping to finish before my two hour drive home(hense the appointment). im running a few minutes late so i call to confirm my appointment "not a prob they say". get there 3 min. late, check in, give keys, were off! after an hour of sitting there and several customers coming and going i ask "whats taking so long to get my vehicle in the shop i had an appointment?" they say "theres no appointment on the board". long story short i sit there for over 2 1/2 hours and im pissed. the manager finally come out to say sorry for the mix up. i explain my customer loyalty despite the occasional f***up and he offers me a deal i ultimately couldnt pass up. two free tires if i buy two. after wheelin my cherokee in bone stock trim and in desperate need of a lift and bigger tires i decided id give discount another chance. call the manager up(4 months later) explain the situation, he honors his word, and i order a set of 33 1050 15 km2 muds. this is why i keep going back. if you complain they will usually fix it some how. still a hassle. i show up, they get me in quickly, get me out quickly, but they charge me disposal fees etc.. there was no disposal cuz i had my old tires mounted back on the stock wheels. no biggy, they just saved me over 400 bucks on tires. i get home to unload the new meats and thats where the trouble starts. first i notice that the original sticky weights that were installed four months earlier(despite the fact i asked them not to use sticky weights)are still on the back of the wheels. upon further inspection i notice that one of the wheels has both the original sticky weights and the rim lip weights. the other three had not been rebalanced and the shipping stickers are still on the tires. and heres the kicker...they took an angled die grinder with a scuff pad to the back of the one wheel that they actually rebalanced. these wheels are only 4 months old and installed by discount 4 months ago. they did not sand the wheels then? i call the manager and he cannot believe the mix up and really wants to see the wheels. he just cant believe that actually happened. i explain to him im not driving 2 hours for a rebalance. he offered that i could take them to any tire shop and he would reimburse me. i said id rather have discount do it, i purchased from them. the nearest discount is 50 miles away. wtf! more hassle no resolution. when i asked him why the "tech" sanded the back side of my wheel he said they do that to all wheels. i stated "in twenty years of buying tires from you guys that has never happened". he states "its a new thing they teach the techs and the tech did nothing wrong", "they always sand the back of a wheel unless its new out of the box". again no resolution. i sent an email to corporate, no resolution just a generic email stating they value my business and it is being looked into. SO IF YOU VALUE YOUR WHEELS, DO NOT GO TO DISCOUNT TIRE! can you imagine if you took your vehicle to discount for several sets of tires over the years and they sand the back of your wheel every time. layer by layer of metal coming off! in my case the back of the wheel is now going to rust and the wheel flange is now distorted. MAJOR SAFETY ISSUE IN MY BOOK. is the wheel going to seat properly on the drum/rotor? i guess discount tire will cross that bridge when a customer dies from a wheel that doesnt run true anymore any pops off the hub.

HEY DISCOUNT TIRE!!! IF YOU READ THIS PLEASE RESPOND!!

IVE SEEN RESPONSES FROM YOU GUYS SO PLEASE CHIME IN.

ps sorry for the long post but this should be talked about. i cant imagine someone with a set of $2000 wheels being ok with discount tire, or anyone for that matter, sanding/scuffing the back of their wheels.

Last edited by 96sexj; 04-02-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying Tires