Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Buying advice

I've been reading a lot while I prepare to sell my stupid 05 Caddy CTS and get a real vehicle. (I inherited the CTS from wife).

My favorite year is 1996 because I prefer the more boxy style but I am not locked in to that, I will take what I can get. My big question is, while I am scouring cargurus and craigslist and any other places that sell these things....what is the good balance?

I know these things last forever if taken care of and a friend told me to never buy one over 180k miles. I want to find one that is good for years to come. I dont care about power window or this and that, this will be my daily driver. It can have faded paint because I wouldnt be opposed to freshening up the pain once I have it anyway. So is there a sweet spot on year vs mileage?

Trying to learn as much as possible before I sell the caddy and immediately buy a Jeep.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You better start looking for something else then if 180,000 mi. is the max your willing to accept. My 99 had 220,000 on it and everything on it was needing a bit of this and that but the drivetrain was excellent and still is 4 yrs. later.

Its not uncommon for the 4.0 L6's to run 300,000 mi easy and a cheap rebuild. Also the AW4 auto trans is almost bullet proof. My only advice is look for one that is stock and has been adult owned and driven, usually easy to tell in about 2 min.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:22 PM

yeah I lucked out and found a 90 that was under 170k when I bought it. it is the renix motor but I didn't mind I can change to HO motor relatively easy if I wanted to but for now no need mine was owned by a retired couple that just had it for snow so it was in great shape for $1700. if you're not in a hurry take your time and look around you can find some good deals. all I done was full tune up new plugs, wires, igniter coil, thermostat, fluid change, oil pan seal, air filter, valve cover seal, and crank position sensor for just a couple 100 dollars and it runs like a champ. I did put a 3in lift for better ground clearance it's my DD. I drove it from GA to VA 1000 miles round trip trip 4 months after I bought it no problems these things are really bullet proof if you take care of them.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 AM

Well that's why I asked. I wanted to know if I came across one that seemed like a good deal and had over what I was initially thinking, should I be weary.

My plan is to buy this thing...fix it up a little, keep it running like a top and when my 11 year old starts driving I can pass it on to him...not really, I will keep it for myself. lol

So mileage isn't AS big of a concern then. It does open up some more doors because I have come across some and I am like ehhhh, the mileage. This will be my daily driver and I drive an hour to and from work...well 35 mi to and from so I want it to be able to last for years. Even if I drop a new engine in several years later.

Thanks for the advice, I will alter my search criteria.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I found a 1988 in almost perfect condition with only 76K miles

Not all that cheap, though.

BTW, the square body XJ was built virtually the same from 1984 to 2001. But they built ZJ and WJ ("Grand") during part of that time (1993-).
Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Just some thoughts.

Sometimes it matters how much of a mechanic you are, or what tools you have. If you're not a welder for instance, that can narrow down a choice of the condition of the vehicle.

An older Jeep, such as a CJ (or SJ / XJ) , is more mechanical, while a JK (or WK) is way more electronics heavy. Which one do you like? Which one is in your comfort area as far as repairs and upgrades?

If you don't have a garage or tools, and a shop does your repairs, what kind of Jeep might be the less costly to deal with?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that they will last forever, but I agree even more that you should not settle for something with over 180k unless its a deal that cant be passed. I got my 99(IMO the best year) with like 110k on it.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center
Just some thoughts. Sometimes it matters how much of a mechanic you are, or what tools you have. If you're not a welder for instance, that can narrow down a choice of the condition of the vehicle. An older Jeep, such as a CJ (or SJ / XJ) , is more mechanical, while a JK (or WK) is way more electronics heavy. Which one do you like? Which one is in your comfort area as far as repairs and upgrades? If you don't have a garage or tools, and a shop does your repairs, what kind of Jeep might be the less costly to deal with?
Great points. Just my opinion but here goes: old style I like the 95/96, almost the same, has the bigger brake booster and can interchange with a lot of older interior parts and mechanicals back through 84. To the Morris point, more mechanical than grand Cherokees etc. 97-2001 I would look for a 99, you get the new body, fenders are easier if you lift it later and there are a lot of them. Plus there is a lot bad press on the headers on the 2001 and some 2000 models. Mileage is less important than condition and service history. I would take a higher mileage vehicle with a great service history and no rust over low miles unit that has rust. At 12,000 miles a year a 99 Cherokee would have 192,000 miles so be skeptical of low miles. Why did they sit around?, Maybe because of mechanical problems. I think we all know they are good to 300k with a little love, longer if you are willing to rebuild a motor. I would whole heartedly recommend a Cherokee, just look around and find a good one.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:41 PM

No garage, no tools etc. Not now, will be moving hopefully next year and have a garage but still won't have tools. Will not be lifting it unless I found one already lifted. I don't really care about lift. I might go on a beat up back road but I am not going to be like hard hitting any rough trails.

It would be more of a street beater. This one came up for sale right around the corner from me. It has just that front little spot damaged. I can deal with that. 180k miles. Want 3k for it.

this is their description
I have a 2000 jeep Cherokee XJ sport 4-door dark green. 2wd auto Trans. 4.0L 6cyl. Has new AC, head cover gaskets, radiator, cooling system, battery, radio, soeakers, rear lift shocks, headliner and more. Had a 2" lift, 245x75x16 kelly tires with 90% tread on 16x7 jeep moab wheels. Body im good shape, had a dent on the driver side front fender and the front of the hood paint chipped. All in all its a great running and driver jeep
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Why would you want a 2wd Jeep ???

(especially lifted - what is the point on a 2wd)
Old 04-28-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Stuey1975
No garage, no tools etc. Not now, will be moving hopefully next year and have a garage but still won't have tools. Will not be lifting it unless I found one already lifted. I don't really care about lift. I might go on a beat up back road but I am not going to be like hard hitting any rough trails.

It would be more of a street beater. This one came up for sale right around the corner from me. It has just that front little spot damaged. I can deal with that. 180k miles. Want 3k for it.

this is their description
I have a 2000 jeep Cherokee XJ sport 4-door dark green. 2wd auto Trans. 4.0L 6cyl. Has new AC, head cover gaskets, radiator, cooling system, battery, radio, soeakers, rear lift shocks, headliner and more. Had a 2" lift, 245x75x16 kelly tires with 90% tread on 16x7 jeep moab wheels. Body im good shape, had a dent on the driver side front fender and the front of the hood paint chipped. All in all its a great running and driver jeep
I wouldn't mess with it because it's 2wd and motor mods require computer upgrades but that's just me
Old 04-28-2015, 07:15 PM

just find one that is rust free and appears to be well taken care of. I wouldn't be concerned with miles.
if you dont have tools or a garage, don't lift it. there's more to lifting it than the initial job. any year is great, some have more features than others but as a bare bones dd any would do.

good luck
Old 04-29-2015, 05:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The 2000 and 2001 xj have a head that is known for cracking if you drive it over heating.A 2000 2wd xj is for 3k hes smoking something pass on it.Look for a 91-99 4.0 4x4 virgin with a clean rust free body.Mileage is nothing for the xj they are like a old tractor run forever.Worse case i rather replace a engine then do a ton of rust repairs and replacing the engine is probably cheaper.The other thing to look for is which rear end does the jeep have in it.They came with a dana 35 or a chrysler 8.25.The dana 35 is the weaker one of the two,The easy to way to tell is to see if the jeep has abs or not.Abs is dana 35 non abs is the chrysler 8.25.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:25 AM

Thanks guys.
I am not looking for a lifted one or thinking of lifting one, I am just trying to get a jeep. That one is right around the corner and I just liked the look. I am def not an offroader. I am the schmuck that goes out for the 1st time and runs over a pebble and the transmission falls out. I have the worst luck so I don't tempt the fates.

Glad I am getting this feedback, selling the Caddy next few weeks and as soon as that POS is gone I am going to nail this down.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:30 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by bloodymuddyxj
I wouldn't mess with it because it's 2wd and motor mods require computer upgrades but that's just me
WAT

Quick Reply: Buying advice