Brainstorm for my 99 build!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6 (4.0L)

I have a stock 99 cherokee sport (4.0). My rig is gonna be used mainly for mud and some trailing, I live in western pa (on the Ohio border) so there's not many rocks here to climb, all this being said I was kinda interested to hear some different ideas on what you would do with it (in a budget all around $4,000-$5,000)

Right now I'm thinking:
-6.5-8 inch lift (probably 6.5)
-Rear axle (hopefully cherokee D44 but idk if I can find one)
-35's with some fender trimming
-4.88 gear ratio
-Lockers
-SYE
-Bead locks?
Attached Thumbnails Brainstorm for my 99 build!-image-2623106488.jpg  

Last edited by jeeper jason; 04-12-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:48 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L High Output

It looks like you already have it planned out pretty well. I don't think you will really need beadlocks though.I could be wrong... I mean you could lose a tire through the mud. Lol usually beadlocks better for rock crawling when your running really low psi and flexing the tire.

definitely would get lockers, they help out a lot
Old 04-12-2013, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Xj4lyfe
It looks like you already have it planned out pretty well. I don't think you will really need beadlocks though.I could be wrong... I mean you could lose a tire through the mud. Lol usually beadlocks better for rock crawling when your running really low psi and flexing the tire.

definitely would get lockers, they help out a lot
Wow, can't believe I forgot to throw in lockers, ok, might scratch the bead locks then, but if you didn't notice my list is very vague, this is my first cherokee let alone 4x4 so idk what good or what's bad, do I want air lockers or mechanical lockers, what's the difference, what companies are good or bad, stuff like that
Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by jeeper jason
Wow, can't believe I forgot to throw in lockers, ok, might scratch the bead locks then, but if you didn't notice my list is very vague, this is my first cherokee let alone 4x4 so idk what good or what's bad, do I want air lockers or mechanical lockers, what's the difference, what companies are good or bad, stuff like that

Some could argue but as much as I love ARB air lockers if your playing a lot in the mud, I would get mechanical lockers like ox lockers or detroit lockers. I say this because in the mud you never know whats in there and if it cuts the air line your ARB stop working(back to open diff). Those lockers can easily range past $800 and should be put in at same time as the gears.

A cheaper option would be lunchbox lockers(powertrax, aussie, spartan, etc), They can be easily installed by a DIY in your driveway. Though, they don't hold up quite the same to abuse as the better lockers would. They are however a lot cheaper.

With a budget for about $4,500 your list will be vague until you start to get used to the new suspension and what your key goals will be. Base your upgrades from the top priority to lowest.

Lift(Clayton, BDS, TNT,Rubicon Express are nice pricey ones)(Rough country, pro comp, Rustys are cheaper and not as nice)you pay for what you ge, tires, gears and lockers should be at the top of the list for a good rounded start. One thing I learned is do it all at once. Like... don't put a 8" lift on it and run out of money for tires. When you do one thing it effects everything else.

Tires: Tires like general grabber come with 7ply tread making it puncture resistant good in mud, KM2's come with 3 trigaurd sidewall and good in mud, MT/R Kevlar are puncture resistant they are also good in mud) They usually suck on ice though... Tires like the wrangler duratracs are decent offroad but only have a 2 ply sidewall making them softer and easier to puncture, but do good in all types of weather for a DD)

If your more into mudding you don't really need long arms. That money could be spent on gears. Prioritize for what you do. Like I'm at 7.5" lift with 33's. With 33's I don't have to upgrade axles and can keep it pretty decent as a DD. With the 7.5" I worry less about high centering and when I go through mud or water I'm not worrying about dragging my drivetrain as deep when going through mud holes or rivers etc. However, I lose benefits of steep hill climbs to say a Low center of gravity jeep would do better or extremely off camber.) Build it for what you want out of it.

Last edited by Xj4lyfe; 04-12-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Xj4lyfe

Some could argue but as much as I love ARB air lockers if your playing a lot in the mud, I would get mechanical lockers like ox lockers or detroit lockers. I say this because in the mud you never know whats in there and if it cuts the air line your ARB stop working(back to open diff). Those lockers can easily range past $800 and should be put in at same time as the gears.

A cheaper option would be lunchbox lockers(powertrax, aussie, spartan, etc), They can be easily installed by a DIY in your driveway. Though, they don't hold up quite the same to abuse as the better lockers would. They are however a lot cheaper.

With a budget for about $4,500 your list will be vague until you start to get used to the new suspension and what your key goals will be. Base your upgrades from the top priority to lowest.

Lift(Clayton, BDS, TNT,Rubicon Express are nice pricey ones)(Rough country, pro comp, Rustys are cheaper and not as nice)you pay for what you ge, tires, gears and lockers should be at the top of the list for a good rounded start. One thing I learned is do it all at once. Like... don't put a 8" lift on it and run out of money for tires. When you do one thing it effects everything else.

Tires: Tires like general grabber come with 7ply tread making it puncture resistant good in mud, KM2's come with 3 trigaurd sidewall and good in mud, MT/R Kevlar are puncture resistant they are also good in mud) They usually suck on ice though... Tires like the wrangler duratracs are decent offroad but only have a 2 ply sidewall making them softer and easier to puncture, but do good in all types of weather for a DD)

If your more into mudding you don't really need long arms. That money could be spent on gears. Prioritize for what you do. Like I'm at 7.5" lift with 33's. With 33's I don't have to upgrade axles and can keep it pretty decent as a DD. With the 7.5" I worry less about high centering and when I go through mud or water I'm not worrying about dragging my drivetrain as deep when going through mud holes or rivers etc. However, I lose benefits of steep hill climbs to say a Low center of gravity jeep would do better or extremely off camber.) Build it for what you want out of it.
It won't be a DD, and from the research I've done my main goal should be to get as much clearance (axle to ground) as I can afford, coupled with lockers, a proper gear ratio and the widest tires my engine can turn, I am waiting until next summer to do it all at once, but I would like to spend as little money as possible but still have decent mug truck, I work in a plant so saving money where I can I'd always a plus, if short arms are ok for mudding then that's a couple hundred to save or put towards a more important upgrade, I'm leaning towards a rough country kit if I go 6.5 or a IRO kit if I go 8, I know nothing about lockers but I think I want to run a 4.88 gear ratio for the 8" kit so I have a little extra torque for my bigger tires, I haven't done the math for a 6.5 inch kit yet
Old 04-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Pretty sure I don't want air lockers, I plan to mud at Yanke lake truck night (it's a small 4x4 park near my town) so I wanna be able to put ppl in the hatch for a ride so I won't have space for an air tank, plus I wanna be able to install everything myself
Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With a air locker you just need a small air compressor no tanks.Another option for a rear end is a 96 and newer explorer 8.8 you will have to weld on new spring perches and shock mounts.The good news is they are easy to find and cheap and some even have a factory lsd.And they can be built up like a super 88 kit and axle truss.On your lift size and tires take a look at http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-lift-kits
Old 04-12-2013, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

I have a stock 99 cherokee sport (4.0). My rig is gonna be used mainly for mud and some trailing, I live in western pa (on the Ohio border) so there's not many rocks here to climb, all this being said I was kinda interested to hear some different ideas on what you would do with it (in a budget all around $4,000-$5,000)

Right now I'm thinking:
-6.5-8 inch lift (probably 6.5)
-Rear axle (hopefully cherokee D44 but idk if I can find one)
-35's with some fender trimming
-4.88 gear ratio
-Lockers
-SYE
-Bead locks?
Don't try to do it all at once.

I'd say get a lift and tires first. I'd say go lower 4.5-5.5" and get long arms. A decent kit. One piece together maybe? Don't rush into anything. Do research. I'm wishing I would've built a 4 or 3 link setup instead of buying a radius arm upgrade. Lol 35s will still fit with trimming. Get good shocks.

Steering drag link and tie rod. You'll need to do something. Lots of options there
Old 04-13-2013, 01:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
With a air locker you just need a small air compressor no tanks.Another option for a rear end is a 96 and newer explorer 8.8 you will have to weld on new spring perches and shock mounts.The good news is they are easy to find and cheap and some even have a factory lsd.And they can be built up like a super 88 kit and axle truss.On your lift size and tires take a look at http://www.myjeepxj.com/cherokee-lift-kits
Well that sites a lot of help, and I was leaning towards lunchbox lockers, also the 8.8 has a C-Clip which I was trying to avoid with a 44, but I might have to settle if I can't find one, also I don't have welding equipment which means I need to factor in shop costs

Originally Posted by DieselD

Don't try to do it all at once.

I'd say get a lift and tires first. I'd say go lower 4.5-5.5" and get long arms. A decent kit. One piece together maybe? Don't rush into anything. Do research. I'm wishing I would've built a 4 or 3 link setup instead of buying a radius arm upgrade. Lol 35s will still fit with trimming. Get good shocks.

Steering drag link and tie rod. You'll need to do something. Lots of options there
I don't know anything about steering, might be my next research topic, and why go for a lower lift? If I wanna build a mud rig wouldn't more hight be better
Old 04-13-2013, 02:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Well that sites a lot of help, and I was leaning towards lunchbox lockers, also the 8.8 has a C-Clip which I was trying to avoid with a 44, but I might have to settle if I can't find one, also I don't have welding equipment which means I need to factor in shop costs

I don't know anything about steering, might be my next research topic, and why go for a lower lift? If I wanna build a mud rig wouldn't more hight be better
don't pay a shop for anything. find someone local say you have $20 and some beer. I'd help you swap the entire axle for that cost. 8.8 has a weaker carrier I'd go full case grizzly or full spool. then weld the axle tubes to the housing. I have an 8.8c rear with 35" tires and abuse it pretty good. it's the one thing on my jeep I have never had a single problem with

as for steering you can build or buy something. inverted t or "crossover" will work fine. relocate the track bar accordingly
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ngresearch.htm
Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Atmos

don't pay a shop for anything. find someone local say you have $20 and some beer. I'd help you swap the entire axle for that cost. 8.8 has a weaker carrier I'd go full case grizzly or full spool. then weld the axle tubes to the housing. I have an 8.8c rear with 35" tires and abuse it pretty good. it's the one thing on my jeep I have never had a single problem with

as for steering you can build or buy something. inverted t or "crossover" will work fine. relocate the track bar accordingly
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ngresearch.htm
Thx for the link, gonna have to do some real research, and how much stress do my axles take when mudding? Seems like it wouldn't take too much but could be wrong
Old 04-15-2013, 04:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah find you a local welder most will do the work cheap if you catch them between jobs.As far as the c clips they make c clip eliminator kits yukon and superior both have a kit for that explorer 8.8.Axle stress mudding just depends on a lot of things like tires speed and if you get stuck.If you drive smart and don't hold it to the floor when you get stuck i don't think you'll break anything.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Well after getting stuck pretty good this weekend i decided front recovery points and possibly a winch should also make the list, I was thinking about a 9,000lb engo winch
Attached Thumbnails Brainstorm for my 99 build!-image-3923619012.jpg