Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bought a Cherokee yesterday :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bought a Cherokee yesterday :)

Besides the introduction page, this is my first post on the forum

I purchased a 1993 Cherokee Country yesterday! I did own another Cherokeeseveral years ago. I think it was a 1999 Grand Cherokee limited. Had it only 1year and had to get a different vehicle for personal reasons, but i reallyliked the jeep while I had it. I only used it as a DD for work.

So, where shall i start? I'm hoping to learn about my vehicle here. Things ican do to it, which i know are MANY, and help on issues i have or will have. Ipeeked around the thread a bit and it looks like a very friendly and helpfulgroup of people.

1st, i dont expect my jeep to be the newest and greatest, as i only paid$950 for it. Here’s what I know about her...yes, she will be a her.

The couple that owned it took care of their things. It was very clean allaround. The wife (the one who used it) did all of the work, if any was neededat home, on it. She is an M.I.T. grad with OCD...Literally. She kept a recordof everything ever done to it. receipts for all oil changes, receipts for anymechanical things done, etc...

The jeep has 171,000 on it. Everything seems to work good mechanically.There is severe rust on the back 3/4 of the rocker panels on both sides and theshort section "rocker panel" behind the rear wheels to the bumper, orno real rust anywhere else. A bit starting to show around wheel wells.

She had removed the right rear molding that goes around the wheel well, todo some rust prevention, but never got around to it and didn’t replace themolding, however i do have the molding.

She replaced the rear shocks, but has not replaced the front shocks. Sheprovided us with the 2 new front shocks that she had planned on putting in it.OEM.

She gave us an O2 censor that she also had but had not installed, not thatthe current one is bad, as far as i know. (more on this in a bit)

She gave us 2 "molding", plastic..rubbery... strips that shecalled something or another..i do not remember, but said she planned on puttingthem on, but with the rust, she was not able to. ??Not sure what they are for.I would guess they are an inch or so wide and about 2-3 feet long. They havestick tape on one side and are ridged on the other. Some kind of "weatherseal" was my guess. Any guesses?

She also had a new wire of some kind. I can get a part number for it. Shesaid she got it just to keep on hand if needed. It has a plug on each end, isabout 6-12 inches long and one end has a metal bracket with 2 screws to attachit to where-ever it goes.

She also dropped over last night to give us a bike rack that was custom madefor the back, that fits in the hitch, 4 molded mud flaps she never opened anddidnt install (rust stopped her again maybe) and a set of 2 receiverhitches/pins. Oh, and a new oil filter.

Tires are in 3/4 condition, should make it through next winter fine.

No noise at all from ball joints etc, when cranked all the way to the sideon hard turns in parking lot, over bumps...

Drives straight down the road for ever, with hands off the wheel.

She has a K&N Air Filter in it, that she said she just cleaned andoiled.

When i got home last night i changed all 6 spark plugs. The back glug wirepulled apart at the plug end when i tried to remove it, so it became a greatexcuse to get a set of new spark plug wires, which i did and installed.

I changed the oil and the oil filter.

New batteries in the remote for the door locks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, now i need to address/fix a couple issues:

1st, the rust? I watched some YouTube videos of guys putting on new rockerpanels. Is this as easy as they make it look? I don’t have a lot of specialtytools, or vehicle knowledge, but i have never had an issue understandmechanical things and putting stuff together the first time...sometimes evencorrectly

The jeep shifts just fine, no weird noises, etc. However when we shifted itinto 4 wheel hi, i could not get it to shift out of 4 wheel drive. I finallygot it out, but i'm not sure how i did it. I first tried going in reverse, as ihad heard of that solution. I tried putting in park to change it first, butthen tried just neutral... Not sure. I have been scared to try it again, just incase i won’t come out.

Is it normal for the jeep to REALLY jerk when trying to turn when in 4 wheeldrive and going slow? I know my blazer "bit" a bit when in 4 wheeland turning, but this is very excessive at slow speeds and even small turns.

There is a "rattle" under the vehicle when going slow or in idle,mostly in idle/park. If i remember from the past this was a cat issue. is theconverter rattling normal at this age, is it easy for a person on a smallbudget to do himself. Do i need special tools, welder, etc? I could have accessto these things if needed.

From what im reading i should expect 15-18 MPG on the highway? As i realizeim basically driving the most non aerodynamic vehicle possible.

This morning, driving in town to work a short distance, when at a light, itkind of "shuttered" a bit, the RPM's jumped around. when i gave itgas it was fine, but did it again at the next light. wouldn’t idle correctly. Idid not do this before i changed the wires and plugs. Does this jeep have acomputer in it, that may be sending signals based on the old spark plug info ithad learned? Should i disconnect the battery and leave a light on for a whileto drain power to get CPU to reset? I have that new O2 sensor, should i putthat in?

Thanks everyone for reading my book, hope there are some helpful answers. Ilook forward to the projects i'm sure to have coming my way with this beast.

BTW, the $950 i paid for it...I think i stole this, but wanted your opinionon the purchase and price.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Are you engaging 4wd on pavement?
Thats a no no
Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Yes, i was in a paved parking lot.

So, no pavement in 4 wheel drive?

Keep the advice coming..thank you!

Last edited by SirLips; 06-05-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Unless you have a full time option on your shifter bezel, no..not on pavement. Youll grenade your transfer case.

If you have
4HI
N
4LO

then you have the np231 case, part time only. Meaning you cant cruise on teh pavement in 4wd.

If you have
2hi
4hi part time
4hi full time
N
4Lo (Part time) then you have the 242 case, in full time you can drive around all day in 4wd
Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Unless you have a full time option on your shifter bezel, no..not on pavement. Youll grenade your transfer case.

If you have
4HI
N
4LO

then you have the np231 case, part time only. Meaning you cant cruise on teh pavement in 4wd.

If you have
2hi
4hi part time
4hi full time
N
4Lo (Part time) then you have the 242 case, in full time you can drive around all day in 4wd

I have the second one. 4 part time and 4 full time. I also noticed it would only shift into all time...per the light on the dash. It wouldn't say "part time" even when at that setting.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Old School CF Moderator

you can drive around in full time no problem on the pavement.
If its hopping while in full time then you have an issue.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:22 PM

Is there a special procedure to shifting, or just shift it to "all time" while in park, then it should be good?

I couldnt get it to do this. The light would say "full time 4 wheel drive" or something like that, but it said that when in full time or part time 4.

how would a person know what it is actually in? i suspect that it was in part time, even though light said full time, as it drive perfect, but REALLY hooped on payvment when in 4 wheel.

Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it. I plan on using it as a DD, but would like 4 wheel when im fishing, ice fishing, large snow, etc.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Old School CF Moderator

To get from 2wd to 4HI (part or full time) just be going any speed and pull it back to that position.
To get from 4hi to 4 low stop, put your trans in Neutral, pull the lever back to 4LO and then transmission to drive.
To get out of 4LO to 4HI do the same. Stop, tranny in neutral, lever to 4hi position, tranny in drive.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM

"To get from 2wd to 4HI (part or full time) just be going any speed and pull it back to that position."

Wow, i didnt think a person could "shift on the fly" with these old of 4 wheel drives. I would think it would tear shtuff apart.

Thanks.

How does one check the actual gear that it is in, when you have sellected h-all time/4 part time 4 low, to see if it is actually changing?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM

If the cat converter is bad, is this a hard fix in my own garage with normal tools? I dont have a welder, will that be an issue? Any "tricks" or issues i should know about, like on the rear shocks..that break nuts, when being replaced?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Read the label on the back side of the drivers side sunvisor.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM

OK, I'll bite...

There is nothing on the backside of the passanger visor.