Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bonnet Vents

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Post Bonnet Vents

Hi, I am looking at installing bonnet vents, or louvers I think they are called. Read up a little and people are saying how sometimes even with a drip tray water can get in, has anyone here had any experience with water leaking through, or which are the best or any information would be great. Thanks guys
Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ed_smith08
Hi, I am looking at installing bonnet vents, or louvers I think they are called. Read up a little and people are saying how sometimes even with a drip tray water can get in, has anyone here had any experience with water leaking through, or which are the best or any information would be great. Thanks guys
Are you talking about hood vents and if so, why are you thinking of installing them?
Old 10-30-2016, 07:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

My hood vents leak thru, no problem, my junk under the bonnet is in great shape, it's a jeep, it should survive getting wet.
If you cut thru your hood, insure you paint the edges to prevent rust forming.
I used stainless louvers salvaged from one of my customers scrapped out commercial appliances and stainless fasteners.
There are many options on this forum for what to use for venting. Select what you like best.
PS: Put a big board cover under the hood before cutting so you don't cut into vital parts.
Attached Images       
Old 10-30-2016, 05:48 PM

Martlor, Yes I am looking at hood vents, sorry we call it a bonnet in the UK. Just don't want the jeep overheating and I think they look kind of cool too.

Peep, do you not consider a drip tray to protect electrics? I heard the TPS can be affected quite badly? Thanks for the cutting advice! Jeep looks sick!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ed_smith08
Martlor, Yes I am looking at hood vents, sorry we call it a bonnet in the UK. Just don't want the jeep overheating and I think they look kind of cool too.

Peep, do you not consider a drip tray to protect electrics? I heard the TPS can be affected quite badly? Thanks for the cutting advice! Jeep looks sick!
In all honesty, if your cooling system is working in proper order you should never need them.

As far as a drip tray, when it rains and your driving and all the water is splashing into the engine bay, you don't have anything protecting from water then do you? Maybe someone can chime in with why a drip tray is absolutely needed. But I see no purpose atm. People wash their engine bays with a hose all the time too
Old 10-31-2016, 01:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending where you put them and you live in a place that gets snow,It could melt off the hood and drip water all over the intake manifold and top of the engine.And most who use them try to do it to cure a overheating problem that needs coolant system work first.One thing a lot of people over look when it comes to heat is the exhaust manifold/header.If you get that ceramic coated you can cut down the engine bay heat big time.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Depending where you put them and you live in a place that gets snow,It could melt off the hood and drip water all over the intake manifold and top of the engine.And most who use them try to do it to cure a overheating problem that needs coolant system work first.One thing a lot of people over look when it comes to heat is the exhaust manifold/header.If you get that ceramic coated you can cut down the engine bay heat big time.
Is it the constant drip thats bad? Because like I was saying, it gets wet when you drive in rain storms or wash the engine. I'm generally curious because I have no idea haha

And yes, if it's being done for an overheating issue, this should be a kind of last resort.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

the thermostat will keep it hot no matter what. they use 195 because everything runs better hot, tranny too.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:07 PM

From this advice I think I will hold off on them, I don't think it should be too much of an issue, maybe in the future if I get to move to somewhere with regular snow! Also I know it's completely unrelated but just looking in my power steering fluid and it's a little low, anyone know which fluid to use for a manual, the Haynes book just says Jeep approved. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Default hands free blutooth?

my radio has a jack and usb. id like a bt thats as automatic as possible, like built in some cars. possible?
any recommended? oh just for phone not music.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:00 AM

Year: 1998

hood vents dont hurt. water gets in there anyways when its raining. i dont know how much they help but it seems like hot air comes out.