Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 Cylinder 4.0
Default BFG All Terrains Vs. BFG Mud Terrains

What are your thoughts for my cherokee? I'm looking to get 33x12.5x115
Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on how you use the jeep, I'm running mts and I've ran ats. If your primarily on the street go with the ats, if you wheel a lot go with mts. Ats will last longer and have better manners in the snow and rain and they are not that bad in the mud. The mts are great in the mud, but they suck in snow and rain.

Sorry if that was a bit long winded.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 AM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

gotta love the aggressive look of the mt's though I've only had one set in my life I always consider them when buying tires but opt for at's at the counter.... I drive mostly pavement and always consider road noise, maybe someday I'll have another set

if you don't mind the road noise, like the performance of the mt's offroad, done deal
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

I have the old style Mud Terrains on my Jeep in 31x10.50. I love em! They are GREAT in deep snow. Ice and rain, not so much. But short of being studded, not much you can do on ice!

I love the look of the M/Ts and they are much more suited to my Jeep, since it is not my daily driver.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

If you're serious about offroading at all then get the M/Ts. Otherwise get the A/Ts.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:29 AM

Year: 1996

Try searching, you could read about this for days.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 6 Cylinder 4.0

Whats the difference in mpg roughly
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM

Engine: 4.0L IL 6

tmac is right lol I've never ran the M/Ts, but I've got the A/Ts right now on my daily and I love them. I'll probably get the M/Ts after these to compare. The aggressive look of the M/Ts is definitely awesome, and as far as A/Ts go, I think the BFGs have a pretty great look for A/Ts. I've used them in the rain and mud in Washington and just this morning used them in the snow here in Illinois, have nothing bad to say about the A/Ts for daily or recreational offroading.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:23 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by BlakeAnnexstad
Whats the difference in mpg roughly
Trying to give a solid answer here would be like trying to nail jello to a wall. Will your mpg go down? Slightly, however if you're increasing tires size with this change, it will go down a little more. More still depending on if you maintain proper pressure or not, driving style, level of maintenance of your vehicle....most will say average difference is around 1-2 mpg, but I haven't really read too much on the subject, other than in forums. Check the manufacturer's site for any info and see what they have to say on the matter. Like tmac said, you could read for days on the subject. For me, the amount is so negligible that I really don't care about the differences, I run MT's on my ride, and have done so for years, it's a Jeep, if I wanted better mpg's I'd buy a hybrid, LOL
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You should have looked into Duratracs, they're considered an AT (I think?) but I've heard nothing but rave reviews on them, lol.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:40 AM
kgm
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

Those Duratracs are in my sights. I just want something good for regular driving that I can take detours with once in a while ha ha.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:44 AM

Engine: 4.0L IL 6

Originally Posted by kgm
I just want something good for regular driving that I can take detours with once in a while
I've heard good things about the Duratracs too. I love my BFG A/Ts for that exact reason too kgm. They're great on my daily and can definitely handle a decent beating when I've got the time to hit some trails. Got a pretty damn good deal on a brand new set through my last employer's wholesale account on tirerack.com too lol
Old 02-05-2014, 11:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by tssguy123
You should have looked into Duratracs, they're considered an AT (I think?) but I've heard nothing but rave reviews on them, lol.
This ^

I am going to be removing my KM2's on my XJ and replacing them with Duratrac's
The KM2's are awesome on rocks and deep snow offroad but onroad in wet weather well they are ok at best. I dont mind the KM2 which is why they are going on my YJ but my wife hates them in the snow. I figure the duratrac is good enough for the law enforcement to use on their trucks that patrol the mountain canyons that get 2-3' of snow for every 4-6" I get in the valley its good enough for my wife to use.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the MT's for about 2 years now, won't go back.

In the mud they are great, over rocks and deflated, they are great. But being on the "wet coast" in the rain and snow, these things just slide. I should have known there was a problem when I started airing down just for my 12 minute commute to work.

I ran the AT's before them and was extremely happy with the handling, the wear ratio on them was very good.

As said above, go Duratracs, for what you are going to pay for them they are well worth it. Good offroad and on.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

For my XJ nothing but the MT's but on my WJ Overland the AT's are great at the turnpike at 85 mph or with 2' of snow. But you go to mud and real deep snow where you have to take a run 3 or 4 times to break a drift and they suck.

But for a DD the AT's are fine my XJ is not a DD.

Quick Reply: BFG All Terrains Vs. BFG Mud Terrains