XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Bed Liner, Which One??

Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 IL6
Default Bed Liner, Which One??

I want to cover my XJ in bed liner, more durable, and easier to repair. I want to know which brand you guys recommend. I am looking for over all durability, fading wont matter as I will be painting over the bed liner.

I am on the fence really between

Herculiner - Rough
Rust-Oleum - Smooth

Looking for ease of cleaning off, how easy it is to paint over, I dont off road, though I will a little, it mainly my DD. I know this will help fight rust and like i said, anything that needs to be replaced I can just roll on instead of clear coat, primer and all the junk.
I did a few searches but couldn't find a good group of answers..
Let the debate begin.

Also would like to know, if you have done the whole outside, how much you used, and do I need the kit they offer or can I just get my own paint roller and tray. I dont have a spray gun, or compressor so that is not an option at the moment.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999
Engine: 4.0

I used herculiner on my rims and I like it a lot. Don't think it would be very good for washing though. I think it would tend to hold dirt.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:04 PM

Engine: 4.6 Stroker

i used Duplicolor on my bumper and its hard to keep clean. But it is easy to go back and touch up.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:06 PM

what about durability on your bumper, I mean will it last on the body, I dont want to have to respray every few months.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Seasoned Member

You might be able to clean the herculiner with a soft bristle or medium bristle brush.. Would be more durable I would think.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Four Point Slow

+1 on the herculiner. I used it on my corner caps, rear bumper, flares and side moldings. Put on a coat, let it dry a day or two, coat it again, and it works pretty good. I just clean mine with a tire brush.

Not sure if you can paint over it, however...

Tried to duplicolor first, and didn't have very good luck with it. Eventually took it all off with a pressure washer and went with herculiner. I used the spray can duplicolor bedliner though, not the roll on. Thats probably why it didn't work as well...

Good luck on the project.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

I did my rear cargo area floor with Herculiner. I like it. It seems very durable, it dried hard, has a rough texture which I like. It is holding up to use very well although I have not needed to clean it yet. It looks easy to clean with a bristle brush, but I don't know if the texture might hold onto dirt. Then again most bedliners will do that. I would think painting over it would help greatly in that regard, but I have no experience painting over it myself. You might want to call Herculiner and ask them how it will take paint.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny9Inches
what about durability on your bumper, I mean will it last on the body, I dont want to have to respray every few months.
I run over alot of brush and trees and go thru alot of dirt and mud. So i think it has held up pretty well for what I put it through.

Originally Posted by Makarov
+1 on the herculiner. I used it on my corner caps, rear bumper, flares and side moldings. Put on a coat, let it dry a day or two, coat it again, and it works pretty good. I just clean mine with a tire brush.

Not sure if you can paint over it, however...

Tried to duplicolor first, and didn't have very good luck with it. Eventually took it all off with a pressure washer and went with herculiner. I used the spray can duplicolor bedliner though, not the roll on. Thats probably why it didn't work as well...

Good luck on the project.
I used the spray can duplicolor also. Maybe it just dont stick to plastics as well. Im glad you said that cause i was thinking of putting some on my plastics.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Seasoned Member

I think he may mean how easy it is to touch up rather than actually paint over. I might be mistaken though.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

I have the rustoleum kind on my floor and wheels and LOVE IT! It's great, I love the smoothness of it but is still durable and easy to clean.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 PM

No I want to paint the Jeep Camouflage, after the bed liner, I just don't want to have to reapply every few months, i want it once and done for a year or so.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny9Inches
No I want to paint the Jeep Camouflage, after the bed liner, I just don't want to have to reapply every few months, i want it once and done for a year or so.
I think that it would be hard to keep clean. It wil collect dirt and be hard to clean. You wouuld need to scrub the whole jeep with a stiff brush if you drive in real dusty conditons or go wheeling often. The bed liner is hard to keep clean.

BUT!! IDK. It may be different on the rest of the Jeep since it dosent really have as much air force on it like my front bumper has(ie.. bugs dust, mud ,dirt , grass, weeds. all comes in contact with a front bumper)

I wouldnt paint my whole jeep in bed liner.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM

Are you saying its a totally bad idea or just the cleaning part? I know they have a few different bed liners out there, that's what I am trying to find out, this is mostly a DD with some off road in its future.
Maybe just paint then if nothing else.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

ive had the lower half of my jeep bedlined with rustoleum for almost a year so far. the texture and color have held up well, and that's with it sitting out in the florida sun and being cleaned with a pressure washer.

Last edited by N20jeep; 08-23-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:46 PM

i was thinking Rust Oleum because its a smooth application, i dont want to get cut up by my jeep

How much did it take you to do the half you covered, I am trying to get an idea on materials here so I know how much to buy, 1 gal, 2 gal, 1 gal 2 qt.

Last edited by Johnny9Inches; 08-23-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bed Liner, Which One??