Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AW4 Transmission cooler question

My tranny is running a bit warmer than I want to see (approaching 200 on some hot days) so I am going to install a cooler, but have some questions.

I already have an aux cooler from the factory, but plan on replacing it. I am looking at the Hayden and B&M. I have a bead on a great deal on a brand new Hayden heavy duty plate and fin, but have heard great things about the B&M.

Any reason to chose one over the other?

Last edited by HYRYSC; 05-07-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
My tranny is running a bit warmer than I want to see (approaching 200 on some hot days) so I am going to install a cooler, but have some questions.

I already have an aux cooler from the factory, but plan on replacing it. I am looking at the Hayden and B&M. I have a bead on a great deal on a brand new Hayden heavy duty plate and fin, but have heard great things about the B&M.

Any reason to chose one over the other?
Both B&M and Hayden make good coolers (plate and fin). If similar priced I would probably go with a B&M but if you can get a good deal on a Hayden there is definitely nothing wrong with them.

With most plate and fin coolers your temp will probably get to around 180F as most of them have an internal low-temp bypass so the fluid mostly bypasses the cooler until it gets to around 175-180F.

I have a B&M 70264 on my XJ and the trans temp (gauge sender in the "Hot" line) gets to around 180F in heavy stop and go traffic and long steep grades but rarely ever hits 190F and when it does drops back down quickly once the load is off the trans. It stays below 140F (lowest temp on the gauge I have) on the highway and will quickly drop from 180F to <140F when I go from heavy-traffic or steep grades to highway speeds with the torque-converter locked up.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:54 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have the same B&M 70264 cooler as dmill, I also am seeing the same temperatures as well. I have no experience with Hayden coolers but hear good things about them.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the replies. I think that I am going to go with the Hayden because it is also a stacked plate like the B&M, but it is a couple inches bigger, so should provide some additional cooling.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

If its a couple inches bigger with similar depth I would think it would a little better.

Don't know if the Hayden you're looking at comes with mounting hardware, but the B&M I have came with a good assortment of mounting hardware and a 3/8" barbed fitting that threaded into the aux cooler in the radiator. Saved me because the stock solid line coming out was kinked almost all the way closed. Something to consider but either way it'll all be good.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Yes, the Hayden comes with mounting hardware, hose, barbs, clamps etc. $40 for all.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

I bought and installed a Hayden about 2 months ago, and it's been good so far. A few comments:
- I needed two sections of hose, each about 3' long, for mounting spot I chose. The Hayden came with 4' of hose, so I had to spend a few bucks to get another piece of hose.
- The Hayden came with hose clamps and other assorted stuff, so I just needed a couple barbed fittings from Home Depot where I connected to the stock hoses.
- The mounting hardware was nothing fancy, just impaling pins through the radiator. Some of the other coolers I've seen have brackets to bolt into the radiator support or something instead.

Overall I think it's a good value, but the more expensive coolers might have a few extra brackets or a longer piece of hose.