Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Audio Upgrade Question/Advice

UPDATE:
I already purchased my stuff. Check post #4 for the list and #6 for amp and sub dimensions.

My driver's door speaker is missing and I need to re-run the wire, and one of my pods is blown. I'm looking to 'replace and upgrade' for some decent sound, but I'm not trying to go nuts. I listen to everything from country and rock to rap and dubstep, and I want something to handle it, but I don't need anything fancy.

I have a Kenwood KDC-BT648U head unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT648U/Kenwood-KDC-BT648U.html?tp=5684&tab=features_and_specs

I'm looking at MTX Thunderdome 5.25s in the front doors:
http://shop.mtx.com/p/l_559/MTX_Audio_TDX52_Thunder_Dome_Axial_5.25_2_Way_Spea ker/listing.html

And Kenwood KFC-1682ie 6.5s in the sound bar:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J0ldMyaFo6o/p_113KFC1682/Kenwood-KFC-1682ie.html

I can get good deals on both, with all four speakers for $100 shipped.

I'm also looking to get a 10" sub to pull the bass out of my speakers. I don't know what I want for a sub yet, but again, I'm not trying to win any competitions here.

Can someone who knows a thing or two about car audio tell me how I'm doing and maybe give me some suggestions?

Last edited by NewKindOfClown; 09-11-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

well i wanted a cheapo replacement for my stock speakers last winter. I was going with ground pounder 12's and a 1500w mono amp. for the doors and the rear in my raised roof i hesitated but i bought some planet audios from amazon. I had used their subs before and were happy.

On amazon I got a pair of 5.25's for like 15 shipped and 6.5's for like 17 shipped. they dont handle a lot of watts, but enough for just the stock deck if thats what you are going to run them with. I have them running on a crossfire amp, thats putting out about their rms to them.

I am very happy with them. im waiting to go to a 4 channel amp though, the amp I have is a 4 channel but 2 channels are messed up, so i have the fronts on a channel and rear on one for now. the fronts need more power to them, or the rears need to be dropped, the 6.5's seem to overcome the 5.25. Now this is probably because my 6.5 are up above head height, and the 5.25 are in the door. this can make all the difference in how loud they sound.

overall I am happy and havent ever said to myself... man i have to get rid of these and upgrade..

EDIT:

Links to speakers

Planet Audio 5.25 for $13.30 Planet Audio 5.25 for $13.30

Planet Audio 6.5 for $16.80 Planet Audio 6.5 for $16.80

Last edited by Converted96; 09-10-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

http://www.parts-express.com/speakers.cfm
Dirt cheap, good speakers.

Ron
Old 09-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

I broke down and ordered everything cause I got excited:

Head Unit:
Kenwood-KDC-BT648U (Already had it)

Front Door Speakers
MTX Thunderdome 5.25"

Sound Bar Speakers
Kenwood KFC-1682ie 6.5"

Mono Amp for the Sub
Pioneer GM-D7500M Class-D

Sub
Kicker 10" CompVT SlantBox

I paid a hair under $350 total.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

congratz on your new audio stuff

we really need a dedicated XJ audio section...

please check this out and vote

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f9/i-a...e-tech-104120/
Old 09-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Moderator of Jeeps

MOUNTING LOCATIONS:
My orders are processing. I'm looking at places to mount the amp and sub.
Dimensions:
Amp: 9.75" x 2.25" x 8"
Sub: 6.5" base x 4.5" top x 11" x 19.5"

The only place I can think to mount them is on the back of the rear bench. I raise and lower it depending on what I'm doing that day, and it seems to be the most out-of-the-way spot I can find where I don't have to worry about heat. I won't put it under the seats, and I don't think it would fit even if I wanted to. Has anyone mounted to the bench, or have a better idea? Anyone know if there's space inside the rear seatback?
Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Mount it to the back of the rear seat, just fold it down on installation to compensate for wire lengh (so you can fold the seat down without taking it all apart/damaging it) ive had mine there for quite some time and no issues, just gotta keep it in mind when you load up in the rear.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:15 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by storm101
Mount it to the back of the rear seat, just fold it down on installation to compensate for wire lengh (so you can fold the seat down without taking it all apart/damaging it) ive had mine there for quite some time and no issues, just gotta keep it in mind when you load up in the rear.
I'll put a cage over the amp if I mount it there, and I'm putting a solid grille over the sub. I have tool bag and a 3-ton jack back there always, not to mention whatever random crap is back there on any given day. I don't want my investments getting damaged by my other investments lol
Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

btw here is a tip. 6.5's will fit in the front doors. just need to drill new holes and depending on the basket you MIGHT have to take a little off the door to get the basket to fit in. but most baskets are not a problem.

6.5's all the way around.

also Rockford Fosgate is another great company to look into, Price is comparable plus the power rating is always under rating (meaning they will handle/produce more than advertised)
Old 09-11-2011, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

theres a bunch of custom false floor write ups/pics. its a clean way to hide amp and give you a storage compartment... one thing i noticed is that when my subs are sitting tucked all the way to the seatback, i lost sound. not that this is supprising: a sub works by firing the bass backwards, so duh... so now its in the middle of cargo space held down with bungies to the tie offs in floor (so friggin handy! somebody better be getting paid for that idea!!) granted it required repositioning all my other recovery gear... idk, my 02.
oh and for reference:
pioneer head unit
mismatched front speakers (they were good enough to not have to deal with)
polk db series out back
2 clarion 10's w/ matched clarion 320w amp.
gotta say i am supprised at clarion! i got ok subs (idk series) but paid like 65/ea. and they are very clean. not QUITE as loud as my old alpine s-types, but minimal dif...

Last edited by VTJeep; 09-11-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by VTJeep
theres a bunch of custom false floor write ups/pics. its a clean way to hide amp and give you a storage compartment... one thing i noticed is that when my subs are sitting tucked all the way to the seatback, i lost sound. not that this is supprising: a sub works by firing the bass backwards, so duh... so now its in the middle of cargo space held down with bungies to the tie offs in floor (so friggin handy! somebody better be getting paid for that idea!!)
yes and no....

Subs can either be front or rear firing, for my application in particular my subs sound better and hit harder when closer to the hatch and sucked up against the seat. I have done a few different applications. One we got the best sound when down firing. Also every car(acoustics), box tuning and sub/amp combo will require different needs.

and for the false floor. I run one to keep tools parts and ect out of the way and keep a rear cargo area all the time. but hiding the amp is not the best idea. amps needs air flow as they heat up, and heat = loss in power and shorter amp life.

here is my set up personally. for me it is everything I want and in the set up I want.

when I wheel a throw a strap on it and it is fine.

the system is tuned and will give bigger systems a run for their money.

with audio is about efficiency not just wattage. you can run a 250 watt horn with 80% efficiency and it will sound MUCH better even at volume than a 1000 watt speaker with 50% efficiency.
Attached Thumbnails Audio Upgrade Question/Advice-20110911113430.jpg   Audio Upgrade Question/Advice-20110911113443.jpg   Audio Upgrade Question/Advice-20110911113451.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
I broke down and ordered everything cause I got excited:

Head Unit:
Kenwood-KDC-BT648U (Already had it)

Front Door Speakers
MTX Thunderdome 5.25"

Sound Bar Speakers
Kenwood KFC-1682ie 6.5"

Mono Amp for the Sub
Pioneer GM-D7500M Class-D

Sub
Kicker 10" CompVT SlantBox

I paid a hair under $350 total.
I just see where you already ordered.

I would honestly (if it is in your budget) trade the 5.25's to 6.5's. But it is all up to you
Old 09-11-2011, 12:43 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by storm101

did that for a while and would not recommend it

It gets in the way and damaging it is always a worry
Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Originally Posted by 96_xj
I just see where you already ordered.

I would honestly (if it is in your budget) trade the 5.25's to 6.5's. But it is all up to you
I'll look again when I go outside. I don't wanna trim cause I'm lazy lol. I like the 5.25s I got cause I can pivot the tweeters 15degrees in any direction, so they should sound better despite the low mounting point. I may trade up to 6.5s since it hasn't shipped yet.
As for your setup, I like it. But I have my spare mounted where your amp is, and I have a large jack, stands, and a toolbag in the back. I'll mount amp and sub to the bench if I don't hear a better idea, but I was hoping to hide it somewhat. I don't live in the best neighborhood, and I just don't trust people.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Honorary Moderator

Originally Posted by NewKindOfClown
I'll look again when I go outside. I don't wanna trim cause I'm lazy lol. I like the 5.25s I got cause I can pivot the tweeters 15degrees in any direction, so they should sound better despite the low mounting point. I may trade up to 6.5s since it hasn't shipped yet.
As for your setup, I like it. But I have my spare mounted where your amp is, and I have a large jack, stands, and a toolbag in the back. I'll mount amp and sub to the bench if I don't hear a better idea, but I was hoping to hide it somewhat. I don't live in the best neighborhood, and I just don't trust people.

you can mount it to the back of the box as well

it has been done for years

always another option and disconnect power at the battery and then disconnect the power/ground/signal from the amp and the whole set up comes out

Quick Reply: Audio Upgrade Question/Advice