Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any pointers on chopping the back hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Any pointers on chopping the back hatch?

I've got a 96 4 door, and i've been really toying with the idea of chopping it hummer style. If any of you guys have done it, what to I need to do? Or not to do. I understand the whole frame support issue, and i'm going to build some in bed frame stiffining devices of some sort when i get there. I own a fab shop in alabama, equipped with all sorts of cnc fun. SO the sky is the limit. Any helpppp?!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: I6

measure and prep 50 billion times and cut once. seriously i've seen so many people on hear just grab a sawzall and go crazy, ends up looking turrible... If it was me doing it id get another hatch and cut the bottom so you have a tail gate and then move the other hatch up and seal it and fiberglass it shut.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would draw out where to cut build a cage to stiffen up the jeep before you cut.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I would draw out where to cut build a cage to stiffen up the jeep before you cut.
this, my neighbor has a chop top 89' that the only complaint he had was that he didnt put his cage and frame stiffeners in first because it twisted and shifted so much when he chopped it off.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhutchinson609
measure and prep 50 billion times and cut once. seriously i've seen so many people on hear just grab a sawzall and go crazy, ends up looking turrible... If it was me doing it id get another hatch and cut the bottom so you have a tail gate and then move the other hatch up and seal it and fiberglass it shut.
When I get to this stage on my xj going to do something like that
Old 09-16-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990

I've been interested in doing this to my newly acquired 4 door. Any idea where you wanna cut it?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 AM

Year: 1996-1997
Engine: I-6,4.0-246000+miles

heres mine before i blew the engine,mine was just a play toy so i didnt reinforce any thing,but tnt customs.com sells unibody stiffners
Old 09-16-2011, 07:19 PM

I like the way that one above here looks, I'm thinking frame/cage first then mark it all nice and even. then start to chopping and welding.Maybe two inches behind the back window?
Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I was planning on chopping my '97, and fabbing in a roll-bar from my old renegade, and cross-bracing the bed. I have heard of some people using toyota bed doors, is this true?
Old 10-03-2011, 08:26 AM

Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

IM doing this now. Mine is a 99 wj. I am cutting the back hatch in half, moving the glass forward along with the frame work around it because it is a functional window that I will be able to open, the using the other (bottom half) to Fab in as a tailgate. Only down fall is the sh is narrower in the rear so I have to do a little fabricating. No prob though. I think it will be sick when its finished but right now my neighbors are laughing at me cutting this jeep to pieces. LOL we will see what they think when I'm done. Oh yeah.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 AM

I've never seen a chopped wj, I'd love to see some pictures of the massacre lol. I haven't been able to start on mine yet due to being in colorado working on some parts contracts. When I get back to the shop in Bama its going down though. At least i've had lots of time to plot with some 3d modeling help, oh the joys of being in the manufacturing industry
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jwittlock
I've never seen a chopped wj, I'd love to see some pictures of the massacre lol. I haven't been able to start on mine yet due to being in colorado working on some parts contracts. When I get back to the shop in Bama its going down though. At least i've had lots of time to plot with some 3d modeling help, oh the joys of being in the manufacturing industry
here is what I did yesterday evening so far with a WJ I got out of a scrap yard. More to come. Cool thing with The WJ is you can use the factory back hatch. I took mine off, cut it in half and am going to use the top half as my back goad that will be functional to open and the bottom half as my tailgate. We will see how it turns out when completed. Right now the neighbors are laughing about me cutting up a GC. LOL
Attached Thumbnails Any pointers on chopping the back hatch?-forumrunner_20111005_101637.jpg   Any pointers on chopping the back hatch?-forumrunner_20111005_101716.jpg   Any pointers on chopping the back hatch?-forumrunner_20111005_101746.jpg   Any pointers on chopping the back hatch?-forumrunner_20111005_101810.jpg  
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by RichW

here is what I did yesterday evening so far with a WJ I got out of a scrap yard. More to come. Cool thing with The WJ is you can use the factory back hatch. I took mine off, cut it in half and am going to use the top half as my back goad that will be functional to open and the bottom half as my tailgate. We will see how it turns out when completed. Right now the neighbors are laughing about me cutting up a GC. LOL
Not sure where the word goad came from. LOL. Auto corrects on a phone suck. Was supposed to be glass.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

LOL, that third pics looks almost like a jacked up Subi Baja. I've seen a couple GC's chopped, but I think the WJ's look better than ZJ's. The XJ's look the best of all three chopped though. especially if it's done right. But for the XJ's, a 2 door chop to me is pointless. Just get a Comanche. A four door chop makes more sense, especially if done right...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
LOL, that third pics looks almost like a jacked up Subi Baja. I've seen a couple GC's chopped, but I think the WJ's look better than ZJ's. The XJ's look the best of all three chopped though. especially if it's done right. But for the XJ's, a 2 door chop to me is pointless. Just get a Comanche. A four door chop makes more sense, especially if done right...
it'll be my Subaru Brat on Roids look when complete. LOL!

Quick Reply: Any pointers on chopping the back hatch?