Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any helpfull tips and what not to do's on Painting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Smile Any helpfull tips and what not to do's on Painting?

Hi all I am planning on repainting my 60th anniversary xj Cherokee this summer to the factory silver color and I was wondering if there was any people out there with experience in painting that would be able to give me helpfull advice on what I should do and also what I shouldnt do/try and avoid. I know there are videos on painting but I would like multiple opinions on what to do but most of all I would like to know what to avoid doing. My jeep is heavily sun damaged so a nice new coat of paint would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by JRPCHAMELEON
Hi all I am planning on repainting my 60th anniversary xj Cherokee this summer to the factory silver color and I was wondering if there was any people out there with experience in painting that would be able to give me helpfull advice on what I should do and also what I shouldnt do/try and avoid. I know there are videos on painting but I would like multiple opinions on what to do but most of all I would like to know what to avoid doing. My jeep is heavily sun damaged so a nice new coat of paint would be awesome. Thanks.
I am by no means an expert when it comes to paint, but I do know the key is prep. If real estate is about location, location, location, paint is ,prep, prep, prep. Don't skimp there just because it's boring. Do your research, make mental notes of techniques,what to watch for, and so on. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:20 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by DeltaOP4
I am by no means an expert when it comes to paint, but I do know the key is prep. If real estate is about location, location, location, paint is ,prep, prep, prep. Don't skimp there just because it's boring. Do your research, make mental notes of techniques,what to watch for, and so on. Good luck!
Thanks very much!
Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I actually just did some touch up work on the xj I bought. Very true on the prep. Make sure you tape all around what you don't want paint on, cover it good with garbage bags and tape them down all around, paint has a way of being sneaky. Also make sure you rough up any surface you are painting, sand all the rust away, prep the bare metal before shooting with paint. I'm no expert buy seems to be holding up good on mine. Do a lot of research and watch some tutorials before hand too to know what grit sandpaper etc to use. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Any helpfull tips and what not to do's on Painting?-img_20160524_183625.jpg  
Old 06-02-2016, 04:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the clear coat gone or just not shiney ?
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Is the clear coat gone or just not shiney ?
Well um lets just say its pretty bad... The roof is burned through the clear coat, silver paint and primer and is rusting and the hood bumpers and fender flares are realy bad clear coat damage and is starting to affect the paint.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It needs a full paint job if you see primer,And its illegal to paint a car at home going by the epa.And really with out a down draft paint booth and a good spray gun the the paint job is not gonna look that good.The only at home option i know is pastidip,Or you could let a place like macco respray it the factory color.
The following users liked this post:
Mufty (06-07-2023)
Old 06-03-2016, 05:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

X2... Except for the Maaco thing, lol, Rattlecan would look better and last longer.

If you really want to do this yourself, there are plenty of people who will rent out a paintbooth for a day. This will be your very last step however.

First, accept the fact that this is not going to save you much/any money if you take the time to do it right. Prep is 95% of a good paintjob. Sandpaper, tape, blocks, filler, primer, sealer, reducer, activator, paint, clear... This stuff adds up, fast. We avg $1K+ in supplies per paintjob, and we get everything at a discount.

Buy good guns. That crap you see at Harbor Fright is only going to make your job harder. Get a 1.8 HVLP for primer & sealer, 1.6 for paint/clear. I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep your guns CLEAN. You can rent a booth, no painter is going to loan out his guns. Not ever. Figure on spending $400+ on a decent pair of guns. I'd invest in the adapters to run the 3M bladders, getting those metal cups clean is a PITA.

Remove all lights, trim, etc that you can. Sand it down. Address all the dents, dings, rust, etc. Rent a booth. Blow it out, wash it, clean it with precleeno, tack cloths. Prime it, seal it. Take it back home, fix all the **** you missed.

Wetsand with 320, then 400. Final scuff with grey pads. Every square inch. Rent the booth again. Blow it out, wash it, mask everything off, clean it as before. Wipe it down with tack cloths. Do this like your life depends on it, because your sanity does. Follow the instructions on the cans for prep, mixing, tack times, etc... TO THE LETTER.

Shoot your base, shoot your clear.

Kick yourself over every imperfection, and lose your frikin mind when the gnat that snuck into the booth with you embeds itself in your clearcoat.

There's a reason so many paint & body guys are drunks/junkies/bat**** crazy.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.7L LS1

A good paint job can be done yourself in your garage. It is NOT illegal if you are a hobbiest (aka not doing it professionally or for money) and paint only 2 cars a year and I quote: "Surface coating or paint stripping performed by individuals on their personal vehicles, property or possessions, either as a hobby or for maintenance of their personal vehicles, possessions, or property provided they coat no more than two vehicles per year." Straight from the EPA https://www3.epa.gov/ttn/atw/area/paint_stripb.pdf I lucked into a professional HVLP system for cheap from an auto body shop going out of business and turned my garage into a paint booth with some box fans and a/c filters.

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  1.71 MB

Name:  007-1.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  1.31 MB

Name:  025.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  1.51 MB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  1.53 MB

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  1.49 MB

Name:  014-1.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  1.60 MB

Name:  012.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  1.55 MB

Name:  015.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  1.62 MB

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  1.63 MB

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  1.53 MB

Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  5.41 MB

The current build. A much better paint booth setup with heavy mil plastic creating a low pressure bubble:

Name:  001_6.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  1.30 MB

Name:  001_7.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  1.37 MB

Name:  9d87e062-673f-48b7-99e1-7e3dc5d5eb71.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  3.53 MB

Name:  001_8.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  3.40 MB

Name:  004_5.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  1.22 MB

Name:  003_7.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  2.79 MB

Name:  001_9.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  2.45 MB

Name:  003_27.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  2.32 MB
The following users liked this post:
Black_Sails (09-29-2021)
Old 06-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by USN_JeepXJ
A good paint job can be done yourself in your garage. It is NOT illegal if you are a hobbiest (aka not doing it professionally or for money) and paint only 2 cars a year and I quote: "Surface coating or paint stripping performed by individuals on their personal vehicles, property or possessions, either as a hobby or for maintenance of their personal vehicles, possessions, or property provided they coat no more than two vehicles per year." Straight from the EPA https://www3.epa.gov/ttn/atw/area/paint_stripb.pdf I lucked into a professional HVLP system for cheap from an auto body shop going out of business and turned my garage into a paint booth with some box fans and a/c filters.

The current build. A much better paint booth setup with heavy mil plastic creating a low pressure bubble:

Wow those both look really good!
Old 06-04-2016, 10:45 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Same XJ?

If so, why did you switch colors?

Because that yellowish/orange was the BUSINESS

Regardless, both great jobs. The first one just is better in my opinion...
Old 06-04-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.7L LS1

Originally Posted by roninofako
Same XJ?

If so, why did you switch colors?

Because that yellowish/orange was the BUSINESS

Regardless, both great jobs. The first one just is better in my opinion...
Nope! I built the orange one for my Parents who live in Ouray Colorado and needed something a little more capable than their KL Cherokee for the trails.

Name:  002_5.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  1.45 MB

I liked it so much that I built one for myself... slightly more capable

Name:  018_2.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  2.12 MB

I'll agree that Grabber Orange is the better color but I definitely prefer the Yas Marina Blue.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:02 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by USN_JeepXJ
Nope! I built the orange one for my Parents who live in Ouray Colorado and needed something a little more capable than their KL Cherokee for the trails.

I liked it so much that I built one for myself... slightly more capable

I'll agree that Grabber Orange is the better color but I definitely prefer the Yas Marina Blue.
Both great jobs. Color is a matter of preference, so I won't fault you, LOL

Fantastic work, sir...and kudos on your homebrew booth, fantastic. I do some powdercoating here and there, so I know a good booth is worth its weight in gold...