Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another Door speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Another Door speaker Question

Hello USA! Greetings from UK

I own a Jeep Cherokee 2003 model. I wanted to upgrade my front door speakers as mine seem to have given up. I was researching various websites (Including this one) as to which size the original speakers were so my replacements were the same size. Most websites said the speakers were 5.25" so I purchased some.

Once I took the door panel off I could clearly see that the door speakers were far bigger and are in fact 6.5" speakers (So I'll be returning them and getting bigger ones)

My problem now arises re the connections to the wiring loom. The factory speakers have a unit screwed to them, this then connects to the wiring loom and the speaker. Please see pic named 'Attached to speaker' There is also a bracket attached to the speaker which I can't see how this detaches from the speaker. So I'm now at a loss as how I would connect my new speakers.

Many Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Another Door speaker Question-bracket-speaker.jpg   Another Door speaker Question-wiring-loom-speaker.jpg   Another Door speaker Question-attached-speaker.jpg  
Old 04-18-2013, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I think you'll find that the 2003 Cherokee in the UK was actually the Jeep Liberty in the USA so this site doesn't really cover them.

Sorry I can't help you with your question either
Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 AM
Dro

I don't have one of these personally, but looked around to see what I could find. See if this helps you at all

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/r...-door-1200997/

There are also other threads on the same site about replacing these. Good luck to you, hope this helped if you haven't found it already.

Last edited by Dro; 04-19-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Soldier I guess. I'm not sure I quite get what the issue is... one issue is that the Cherokee was discontinued in the USA in 2001. You may gets better results On jeep forum.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Get new speakers. Cut the speaker lines out from the harness and just splice them directly to the speakers.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the link Dro, I now see that the unit with the red and black wire coming out is in fact an amp. I tried by passing this by cutting into the wiring loom from the door by splicing into the red and black wires but the speaker did not work, i thought I may have been cutting into the wrong wires, I tried looking for a wiring loom picture on the net but could only find Grand Cherokee wiring looms. I connected the amp to the speakers and they work. I have an aftermarket Sony head unit so surely I don't need to use this amp? I'm also struggling to find a speaker bracket in the UK so I can use the factory holes already drilled.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:58 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

For the bracket, MDF or aluminum plate can be cut to make any thing you need.
For the stock amp, sell it on ebay.
Run a new wire from the Sony head unit you have to the door and hook it to your new speakers. This will bypass the stock amp and solve your problem. This will not work with the stock head unite as it dose not have an amp built in it like the aftermarket Sony unit you have now. So you will not be able to reinstall the stock head unit unless you keep the door amps.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:06 PM

Is it safe to rivet the speakers in place? or could this damage the speakers? I read somewhere else that if i don't use the amp with the attached wiring loom that the rear speakers will not work?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:49 PM

I've purchased coaxial speakers to replace the factory speakers in the door. Obviously coaxial speakers come with tweeters, will this effect the sound as my Jeep has tweeters in the dash?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Markwalker
I've purchased coaxial speakers to replace the factory speakers in the door. Obviously coaxial speakers come with tweeters, will this effect the sound as my Jeep has tweeters in the dash?
No but I'm going to assume that your speakers are wired through an amp and a crossover. That's how the grand Cherokees were done. If that's so then the tweeters in the door won't really be doing anything.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Yes I am going to wire the speakers via the amp that was connected to the original factory speakers.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Markwalker
Yes I am going to wire the speakers via the amp that was connected to the original factory speakers.
If you wire the tweeters in separate then it shouldn't effect the sound much other than sound imaging. But most people won't notice the difference.