Am I over thinking this??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Am I over thinking this??

Ok. So I got a Cobra dx CB for Christmas and I am trying to figure out what I need to get it up and running. I emailed RadioWorld and tried getting the info I wanted but I think we are not understanding each other.

Anyways. I like the look for the fiberglass antennas so I kinda want to go that way. I don't really know if one antenna is better then another but I do get that the longer the antenna the better it is. I will be using it for around the city area most but when I do go camping it will be in and around Algonquin Park, for those not around here that is a woody and hilly area.

1) So other then length is there a reason to go with metal or is a fiberglass antenna going to be fine?

I know I need Coax cable so I need to measure and find where to run the stuff to the antenna from the radio unit. I am thinking about putting the radio unit in the center console under the armrest so I am guessing I will need to make some venting for getting the heat away from the unit.

2) Would the heat from the radio be the only real issue other then low sound quality for not putting it in there?

I will be making up a roof basket with lights and some hard storage and was thinking about putting the antenna up there. I will be putting a canoe up there and with the hard storage area, it will be kinda molded to alow the canoe to sit over it, I am not sure if this is going to mess with the signal. anyways I'm thinking about making a mount for the antenna that will fold or rotate down and sit/lay horizontal on the drivers side running along the roof rack/basket when not in use. When I want to have the CB on I can put it up but when I am away from the jeep I can turn it down so people don't mess with it.

3) So. What is messing my head up is.. Is an antenna mount just something to hold the antenna or is there something about the mount that I don't understand? I mean why am I being told to buy a mount for $100.00 when I think I can make one for about $3.00?

If I run a ground from the antenna to a good spot and make sure the mount doesn't move is that all I need? I hope I'm just over thinking this. And lastly...

4) With this mount in the up possition and the canoe on the rack do you think I would still get good signal? Or should I think about maybe running a fiberglass antenna off the back taillight area for around the city and another long whip for when I go camping out in the wild?

I hope this all makes sense and you can help me. Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 Sport
Engine: 4.0

1. First decide how far your really trying to communicate with, are you talking like while your on the trail or really trying to talk to someone 15 miles away. Get a 4ft firestik they work great and you can tune them. Big ol' whips are nice but anything to high constantly scrapes, ve always enjoyed riding with my grandpa in a parking garage with his whip smaller whip, not a 102"

2. Ive seen it done in the but if your on a trail and radio on its going to be hard to hear and you dont want to have your lid up whenever your trying to use it. Look for a few more mounting spots you would be ok with.

3. Dont pay a hundred for any mount, buy a 10 buck hood mount online and mount it on your rear bumper if thats what your going for or fab up a bracket on your tail light. Either one of those setups would let your put whatever you like on your roof
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

A 4ft fiberglass should be fine for local/trail communication. If you really wanted to, you could by a 102" whip too, for when youre camping to try to reach out farther.
I used a firestick mount like this, I have it mounted behind the taillight.

Make sure the mount is on shiny metal (use dielectric grease to stop corrosion) and run a ground wire from a screw to the body of the jeep.

I wouldnt put the radio in the console, it would be a PITA. You would have to run an external speaker, and find a way to rout your mic so that it doesnt keep the lid open all the time.
Unless you are talking constantly and have the CB "turned up" I wouldnt worry about heat.
Get a SWR meter and learn how to use it. The most important thing is proper antenna tuning.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:22 PM

ok so I think the 4' fiberglass is going to be what I get and for now I think I will mount it on the back drivers side like I have seen so many times here.

As for where to put the radio... What about if I move the switches for the back wiper, fogs and defrost and put it in there?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

Why not just put it on the console, like everyone else?
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Heres a few pics of mine when i was installing my new set up. I hope it helps, its just an idea but i looked at alot of ideas before i finally mounted it a way that worked for me.

This is a 4ft firestik i used
Name:  IMG_0786.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  150.6 KB

Here is how its mounted, just a slice in the bumper cap and hood mount cb bracket mounted and to bumper and leveled with washers. My cb wire is ran under all of my side moulding threw the rubber grommet and into the bumper cap and pushed up from under. In the pic i didnt have it plugged in.
Name:  IMG_0785.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  98.9 KB

This is the only spot you can see my wire in the interior, it over from under the center console and under my drivers to directly under my side interior molding
Name:  IMG_0788.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  72.9 KB

There are lot of way to mount a cb, i used to have it overhead between the visors, just dont screw threw the second layer of roof that first layer is no problem. But this way its still out of the way but can be easily seen and heard And i can run the wire out of sight and out of mind.Name:  IMG_0790.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  76.4 KB
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Here is my setup, Had pretty much the same thing on my 97.
Name:  IMG_20120105_134252.jpg
Size:  88.2 KB
Name:  IMG_20120105_134219.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  177.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20120105_134207.jpg
Size:  117.5 KB
Old 01-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Why not just put it on the console, like everyone else?
Sorry 89Laredo but if I thought like that I would buy a Civic, paint it white and put a wing on the back.

I want something a little different and I like the clean look those two areas would give.

Thanks guys I have some thinking to do and I should get the lighting upgrade first anyways. But please keep the ideas and info coming.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Theres a reason people put them there... Its the best spot for them.
Like I said, youll have to figure out how to route your mic so it doesnt keep the lid open all the time, youll have to run an ext. speaker and figure out where to mount it, and youll lose the storage in your console.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Maybe Look into or maybe even someone will post up mounting the CB even under your seat if your going for the out of sight out of mind idea. As for antenna if your thinking about a better position just think about what your needs and usage are, tall and sticking out tend to get torn off. Another idea would be use a Magnetic antenna or something you can take on and off whenever you want
Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

This may sound kind of dumb to say, but...
How often do you actually use your CB other than on trail rides?
I've found a good handheld is perfect. You can use it on the trails and put it in the wheeling gear tote in the garage when not in use.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHwQ8wIwAg
Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

I use mine all the time, it has weather channels...
Old 01-06-2012, 12:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 89Laredo
I use mine all the time, it has weather channels...
Same. If mine didn't get the weather, I wouldn't use it except when wheeling with my buddies.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

best place for the cb would be between the visors, if you have the smaller visors.
i know the area you wheel, i've wheeled there for years. there are some deep water holes. i've had water above my console more than once. if my cb was mounted there, i'd have gone through more than a few. (think crystal lake or concession lake trails).

as for my antenna, i have the fiberglass 102" whip mounted to my rear bumper behind my tail light. sure i have to bend the antenna to the side to open and close my hatch, but it's not sticking out the side to hit rocks or get knocked off from trees.

i bend and tie it off to my rack when not in use.