Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Alt...

Hey guys I got a 91 jeep Cherokee
Larado I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of alternator was in there and also what is the biggest alt you can put in there without having to move **** around modify anything was. Thanks Andrew.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:45 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Go to AutoZone's website and put in your Jeep specs and search alternator and it will show you which ones they have that will fit your Jeep.

I just replaced my alternator in my 2000 and what I did was go underneath the Jeep to take it out otherwise I would have had to remove an A/C unit to get to the alternator. I am not sure of the placement of it on a 91 but if it is underneath, then go up from the bottom to get it.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Sweet thanks for the help.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

No problem anything to help a fellow Jeeper
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

Power Master and Mean Green both make replacement alt.s that put out 200 amps, but they cost round $400
Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 AM

Umm you don't have to crawl under your jeep to swap the alt. I have a '97 and have done three alt swaps since may, just set your battery on the ground and it will slide out between the battery tray and the A/C compressor or whatever is sitting above it.

It is a much easier fit getting it out this way than squeezing it out through the bottom where it barely fits and you gotta spin it in 20 odd angles before it will find its way.

Also, if it has the black plastic piece in this picture, check the contacts on it. As you can see in the photo one of mine broke off and made me think I had a dead alt.

Then the black plastic bugger was a PITA to figure out what it was, no auto parts store could identify it... Because it's just that, a black piece of crap to keep your wires pretty and "idiot proof" changing the alternator (until it breaks, then you're SOL because no one knows what part it is lol). Fixing it is as simple as chopping it off and adding rings to the wire ends and then bolting them on to the alt.
Attached Thumbnails Alt...-image-291008412.jpg  

Last edited by AKinHI; 09-13-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by AKinHI
Umm you don't have to crawl under your jeep to swap the alt. I have a '97 and have done three alt swaps since may, just set your battery on the ground and it will slide out between the battery tray and the A/C compressor or whatever is sitting above it.

It is a much easier fit getting it out this way than squeezing it out through the bottom where it barely fits and you gotta spin it in 20 odd angles before it will find its way.

Also, if it has the black plastic piece in this picture, check the contacts on it. As you can see in the photo one of mine broke off and made me think I had a dead alt.

Then the black plastic bugger was a PITA to figure out what it was, no auto parts store could identify it... Because it's just that, a black piece of crap to keep your wires pretty and "idiot proof" changing the alternator (until it breaks, then you're SOL because no one knows what part it is lol). Fixing it is as simple as chopping it off and adding rings to the wire ends and then bolting them on to the alt.
Thanks, but yea I ripped that crap off a wile ago and def understand what your saying about that angles and stuff. My brother is a mechanic for Toyota he checked it and the alt is fine it's def the battery. I will eventually need to change the battery and the alt to support all the HID's though lol it's only a matter of time till it gives up. But for now it seems to be working ok. I'm thinking I got a loose or dead out somewhere because it was fine than I did not drive it for 3-4 weeks and it was completely dead not crank or attempted roll over. I'll get it though