Advice or knowledge around bureaucratic BS form

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Advice or knowledge around bureaucratic BS form

I bought an XJ from Ohio, I'm in Kentucky, the clerks tell me I have to get this TC 96-182 form signed and notarized by the seller. It is an application for Kentucky certificate of title or registration. The seller is an ***, he's a call dodger and doesn't return messages. I've explained it has nothing to do with costing him, just me, the guy who graciously bought his vehicle from him. I get him on the phone after I repeatedly call and hangup nonstop until he answers. Every time he acts like it's not a problem and he'll sign it, I've mailed the form to him upon his agreement to do so. He now claims he has to wait for his notary friend who signed the title to get back in town but acknowledges he has received the form. I don't think both parties are even needed present, it's just in his court as far as I understand but maybe I'm wrong? I really can't tell if this guy is F'ing with me or not. Either way, I've been getting screwed around by this ***** for a month now. I have a wonderful XJ in my driveway that I can't friggin drive until something gives. If I don't get it signed the bureaucrats are gonna tell me what my vehicle is worth and charge me 6% sales tax on that. That's double the tax price if not signed for me. I aint paying that PERIOD Any help you more seasoned folks may have would be extremely appreciated.

Last edited by f@gfordacrag; 09-01-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like he don't care he got paid and its out of his hair now.And i looked up that forum its super simple and take 2 mins to fill out.Maybe talk to http://www.broadwaytitle.com/index.htm they charge i think 300 bucks but it might be worth it insted of dealing with that yahoo.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Sounds like he don't care he got paid and its out of his hair now.And i looked up that forum its super simple and take 2 mins to fill out.Maybe talk to http://www.broadwaytitle.com/index.htm they charge i think 300 bucks but it might be worth it insted of dealing with that yahoo.
$300 is more than the retail sales tax I'll have to pay without the form. Not much more though. I don't make a lot of money though, that's half a work week for me. I just don't understand why there are scumbags out there like this and why I'm ALWAYS stuck with them. Guy's pretty stupid, he pointed out numerous of his flip houses to me during test drive and I bought from where he stays. You'd think you'd wanna keep it on the up and up with people who know where you live and such, much less a person who took something off your hands for you. What a waste of life.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:06 AM
CF Veteran

When you bought it did he sign anything over saying he sold it to you ?
Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

if he sold it to you legal and you bought it legal now he is bein a basterd sign his name on it I made 5$ a hour at mcdonalds when I was younger had similar situation no signature on back of title and lets just say it got mysteriously signed I didn't have the money to track down or have time to track someone down for a signature but I did know for a FACT it was legally sold
Old 09-01-2016, 10:14 PM

When you bought it did he sign anything over saying he sold it to you ?
I have the title, signed by us both and notarized. This form is ridiculous and just some bull ish to con us out of more tax money. Because it was an Ohio vehicle I need to apply to make it a Kentucky vehicle now and he has to say that's ok? Psh! What a bunch of trash, it's my damn vehicle now, what the hell should he be needed for anything to do with it anymore? These snakes know when you come to register they've got you by the ***** by requesting you get the seller to do something for you after the fact, thats all.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:20 AM
CF Veteran

And you forgot you have to get the jeep inspected also before they will tag it.We do live in the commonwealth of kentucky they have some stupid and screwy laws like that.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 AM

And you forgot you have to get the jeep inspected also before they will tag it.We do live in the commonwealth of kentucky they have some stupid and screwy laws like that.
I didn't forget about inspection. If they actually inspected them I'd support it completely but they don't, they look at the vins and that's about it, charge you money for it. If they did a legit safety inspection I'd be happy, we don't need any more unsafe vehicles on the roads.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:58 AM
CF Veteran

If its from out of state or has not been tagged in a few years they do a inspection on it.And its a simple inspection like all lights wipers and brakes.In in the 80s back they use to do a real inspection which covered a long list of things.If you ever seen a old car in the junkyard with odd looking inspection stickers on the back window thats what its from.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Moral of the story - know the laws inside and out and don't get surprised by stuff like this. You could have had the thing signed at the same time you did the deal.

So, too late for that. What now?

1. If you can get free legal help somewhere, have a lawyer send him a demand letter. That might scare him into cooperating.

2. If legal help isn't an option, send a registered letter to him, with the form (again), asking for his signature by a certain date, or you will take legal action. It's a bluff, but it might work.

3. Explain the situation to the clerk and ask if there is any other procedure you can follow to get the thing titled. Be nice. Be very, very nice. Oh, and if you have already been snotty with this clerk, go to a different office and be very, very nice.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

Is this a situation where it blue books at like $5,000 but you only paid $2,000?
Old 09-02-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by wizardpc
Is this a situation where it blue books at like $5,000 but you only paid $2,000?
Yep, $2k on the purchase, $4k is retail. Difference in taxes by double without form.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by f@gfordacrag
Yep, $2k on the purchase, $4k is retail. Difference in taxes by double without form.
in your state are you insured for retail or purchase price?

here, if i were able to buy a $50,000 car for $1 to avoid the taxes, i can only insure the vehicle for that $1
Old 09-02-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by rzldzl
in your state are you insured for retail or purchase price?

here, if i were able to buy a $50,000 car for $1 to avoid the taxes, i can only insure the vehicle for that $1
We don't have any crazy law like that I know of. So you mean to tell me if you pump 50 grand into it after purchase and create a show car you can't insure it for what it's worth?
Old 09-02-2016, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by f@gfordacrag
No purchase price or something like "sum of $1 and other valuable consideration" listed on the current title?

Quick Reply: Advice or knowledge around bureaucratic BS form