Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Is this actually a build sheet?

Greetings, ladies! Loong time no talk. I just picked up a 96 Country for $800. It needs a windshield, tires, alternator, and a driver's outside mirror to get legally on the road. Needs some cleanup, and the usual maintenance. The rad hoses are shot. Engine sounds good. No appreciable blow-by, and I did test for exhaust gasses in the coolant, and it's clean. I wanted to do a compression test, but the lack of a working alternator meant there really wasn't enough juice to do that. So, I went by ear. We'll see.... Shifts well. So, probably a good deal. I'll know better once I get it properly on the road. Driver's door and front fender are a bit wrinkled, too.

Here's my question. I was hoping to get a build sheet, but that's pretty iffy on a 96. The link I had to the Chrysler website says it's not available. So, doom.

So I just tried a random search for a VIN decoder, just to see how much info I could get. I tried a site I haven't seen before, vindocoderz.com and they did produce a useful bit of info, but then, after a minute or so, the page reloaded (while I was looking at other sites) and I came back to find this rather extensive readout:

*R7: Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats; -Y6: Dark Sand; 135: Zone 35-Washington; 1AA: U.S. Dealer Retail; 26H: Customer Preferred Package 26H; 2TH: Customer Preferred Package 2TH; 3J3: No Charge Air Conditioning; 3VU: Customer Preferred Discount; 621: Maryland State ; 921: Maryland State ; ADA: Light Group; APC: Center Band Two Tone Paint; ARX: Country Decor Group; AWH: Power Equipment Group; BAU: 117 Amp Alternator; BCD: 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery; BGA: Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes; CAC: Low Back Bucket Seats; CBZ: Prem Vinyl Door Trim w/Map Pocket; CDB: Reclining Front Seats; CFM: Rear Folding Seat; CGT: Driver Air Bag Only; CKA: Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area; CKN: Cargo Compartment Carpet; CKT: Cargo Tie Down Loops; CKX: Midgate Box Access; CLE: Front & Rear Floor Mats; CSA: Spare Tire Cover; CSR: Passenger Assist Handles; CUF: Full Length Floor Console; DGB: All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions; DGS: 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission; DHA: Lock-Up Torque Converter; DHN: Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System; DHS: Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever; DJH: 230MM Front Axle; DMD: 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio; DRA: Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle; EAA: All Engines; ERH: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine; GAL: Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass; GBB: Tinted Windshield Glass; GCB: Front Door Tinted Glass; GEH: Fixed Door Vent Glass; GFA: Rear Window Defroster; GNC: Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors; GRZ: Left Remote Mirror; GSZ: Right Remote Control Mirror; GTZ: Manual Remote Mirrors; GVA: All Vehicles W/O Power Mirrors; GXM: Remote Keyless Entry; HAA: Air Conditioning; HGD: Deluxe Insulation Group; JAY: Instrument Cluster w/Tach; JBG: Instrument Panel Woodgrain Bezel; JCA: 85 MPH Primary Speedometer; JHA: Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers; JHB: Rear Window Wiper/Washer; JJA: Cigar Lighter; JJB: Dual Note Electric Horns; JPA: Power Windows; JPB: Power Locks; K3J: STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR; K4J: STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR; KCV: No Description Available; KRV: No Description Available; KSV: STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING COLOR; LAJ: Headlamps On Warning Chimes; LBB: Courtesy Lamps; LBC: Glove Box Lamp; LBD: Ash Tray Lamp; LBE: Cigar Lighter; LCD: Map/Dome Reading Lamps; LDA: Underhood Lamp; LDB: Cargo Compartment Lamp; LHD: Headlamp Off Time Delay; LMA: Halogen Headlamps; LPS: CHMSL Lamp; MBA: Painted Front Bumper; MBC: Painted Rear Bumper; MCA: Rear Body Color Applique; MDA: Front License Plate Bracket; MFK: Body Color Grille; MHA: Black Windshield Moldings; MMC: Rear Door Solid Window Insert; MMG: Belt Moldings; MMK: Hi Black Gloss/Black Mirror Molding; MNA: Black Door Handles; MUE: Pearlstone Badging; MWG: Roof Rack; NAA: Federal Emissions; NBK: EVAP Control System; NFA: 20 Gallon Fuel Tank; NHM: Speed Control; PW1: Stone White Clear Coat; QV1: Lt. Pearlstone Pearl Coat; RAA: All Radio Equipped Vehicles; RAF: AM/FM Cassette Radio; RCD: 4 Speakers; RDD: Fixed Long Mast Antenna; SBA: Power Rack and Pinion Steering; SCG: Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel; SDA: Normal Duty Suspension; SHA: Front Stabilizer Bar; SHC: Front and Rear Stabilizer Bars; SUA: Tilt Steering Column; TBC: Compact Spare Tire; TBL: Inside Mounted Spare Tire; TRV: P225/70R15 Eagle GA OWL AS Tires; TZA: Goodyear Brand Tires; WJ1: 15X7.0 Aluminum 5-Spoke Wheels; WLZ: All Aluminum Wheels; YAA: Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications; YEP: Manuf Statement of Origin; YGF: 8 Additional Gallons of Gas; Z5B: Payload Rating - 1800; ZFJ: Spring - Left Front; ZFT: Spring - Left Rear; ZUJ: Spring - Right Front; ZUT: Spring - Right Rear

This looks to me like a full build sheet, though not nicely formatted like what you get from Chrysler. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited by BlueRidgeMark; 04-20-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 01:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

I want to say yes. Tough to read though. While the format is different then the one I get from here.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Starts with alternator and ends with springs pretty much like yours.
What site did you use?

Last edited by Ralph77; 04-21-2019 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:12 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990

Power rack and pinion steering?
Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Yeah, man! Rack and pinion, just like any other good sports car!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Yeah, man! Rack and pinion, just like any other good sports car!
Like this car......
Old 04-21-2019, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

That's a blast from the past! Nice!
Old 04-21-2019, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
That's a blast from the past! Nice!
been on the road for about 2 weeks now. Great car!!
Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee

Build sheets that came in the 01 I had.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:15 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Waynerd
Build sheets that came in the 01 I had.
Where did you find that?
I remember back in the days of muscle cars that sometimes you would find the
build sheets, I think it was, under the lower back seat.
Always wondered if Jeep did something like that.
If so I have yet to come across mine for the '00.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee

I remember a few older cars having them in The trunk or under the seat or carpet or something as well. When we bought the 01 the build sheet, window sticker,owners manual and whatever other papers came with it when it was new were all together in the glove box.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:33 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Waynerd
I remember a few older cars having them in The trunk or under the seat or carpet or something as well. When we bought the 01 the build sheet, window sticker,owners manual and whatever other papers came with it when it was new were all together in the glove box.
I was hoping maybe Jeep hid it somewhere in the car like they used to do in the old days.

Thinking about it more now didn't some stash it in one of those little plastic invoice when you
ship something envelopes above the gas tanks to the body of the car?
Old 04-24-2019, 06:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I was hoping maybe Jeep hid it somewhere in the car like they used to do in the old days.

Thinking about it more now didn't some stash it in one of those little plastic invoice when you
ship something envelopes above the gas tanks to the body of the car?
I found what was left of mine attached to the inside of the driver's door panel. This is on a 95 Country. There wasnt much left but it was there.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Ralph77
I want to say yes. Tough to read though. While the format is different then the one I get from here.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Starts with alternator and ends with springs pretty much like yours.
What site did you use?
That link says it will only pull data from 98 and newer but it must he situational because i got one from that link for my 95.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by downs
That link says it will only pull data from 98 and newer but it must he situational because i got one from that link for my 95.
I have mentioned that to people when I have posted this link also mentioning that some people, like yourself, have gotten build sheets for older then '98.
Also somebody said that 75% of the time they are wrong. But the person who said this might have been doing some backpeddling.
Weird situation that I am thinking about starting a thread about cause I am curious about the forums opinion on the it.

As a matter of fact screw it. Keep an eye out for a thread titled "Would Like The Forums Opinion".
Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L (AMC) Straight Six

If you want a vehicle-specific build sheet, go to https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/...etServlet?vin=

Put your VIN (using CAPITAL LETTERS for the letters, as it is CASE SENSITIVE, and doesn't work with lowercase letters) in after the = sign, and hit enter. You'll get a build sheet with every option that your vehicle was equipped with from the factory.

The VinDecoderz site just provides general information for what every vehicle of that type came with. It's NOT vehicle specific. The Chrysler link (above) IS vehicle-specific.

-Vince

Quick Reply: Is this actually a build sheet?