97+ interior swap onto 87 model

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default 97+ interior swap onto 87 model

i apologize beforehand for taking up bandwidth with this thread but i figured i would get more answers this way since i cannot find what i need to know

what i have: 87 model xj & 99 model xj. my 99 rotted out so i picked up the 87 for dirt because it has a clean body and burnt motor in it. I have pulled EVERYTHING out of the 87 from the motor, wiring harness, and interior and plan to simply swap everything over from the 99 to the 87

what i need to know: will i run into any issues with the dash and related parts mounting to the 87 firewall inside the jeep? and possibly any other issues with parts under the hood? and if so, what do i need in order to complete this task? I know the bodies are relatively the same but i also know some things DID change over the years so any info and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The liftgate won't work unless you cut out the D pillars and a portion of the roof or something to make the newer style fit on old body. Look up Sarge build thread by none than our own ODGreen.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by XJwonders
The liftgate won't work unless you cut out the D pillars and a portion of the roof or something to make the newer style fit on old body. Look up Sarge build thread by none than our own ODGreen.
well i wont be doing all that. the exterior will remain the same because its a wagoneer and i dont wanna change that but im more curious as if the interior is a direct swap.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by jeepsarecooliguess

well i wont be doing all that. the exterior will remain the same because its a wagoneer and i dont wanna change that but im more curious as if the interior is a direct swap.
Direct swap? No. A lot of drilling mounts and rewelding mounts needed. Build thread is in my signature. Go take a peek.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

You also have to cut and weld the firewall if you plan on using the 97+ steering column
Old 07-01-2016, 07:19 AM

well that escalated quickly
Old 07-01-2016, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by odgreen
You also have to cut and weld the firewall if you plan on using the 97+ steering column
how bad would it be to keep the steering column and wire in existing parts into the harness? or possibly make 99 parts work on the column?
Old 07-01-2016, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

how bad would it be to keep the steering column and wire in existing parts into the harness? or possibly make 99 parts work on the column?
99 parts won't work and imo it would look stupid as ****
Old 07-01-2016, 09:12 PM

99 parts won't work and imo it would look stupid as ****
the only reason im swapping the parts over is because the donor i bought has wiring harness burnt up all the way to the tcase and the motor is garbage. if it comes to it ill just make the stuff fit into an older dash but i figured why not just swap it all over since everything is still good on my 99
Old 07-01-2016, 09:45 PM

do you have pics of when you did this? i went through your thread but didnt see any in detail (great thread BTW). cutting and welding stuff is not a big deal, i can do the work but id just like to get some more info on what actually has to be done in order to make it fit. if i could just trash it and get older stuff ot make it easier, i would but working all the time and having a 1 yr old, i dont really have the luxury of spending all my time and money on doing that so i just have to make do with what i got
Old 07-02-2016, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

do you have pics of when you did this? i went through your thread but didnt see any in detail (great thread BTW). cutting and welding stuff is not a big deal, i can do the work but id just like to get some more info on what actually has to be done in order to make it fit. if i could just trash it and get older stuff ot make it easier, i would but working all the time and having a 1 yr old, i dont really have the luxury of spending all my time and money on doing that so i just have to make do with what i got
I don't have a pic. Solo worker. Lol just pull both apart and look at both bare fire walls. You will see what needs swapped. I cheated and bolted the cut out fire wall to the 89 at the booster mounts. Then cut where needed then welded on. You also have to drill a few mounting holes for the heater box. It's a big task. But cool when done.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:42 PM

I don't have a pic. Solo worker. Lol just pull both apart and look at both bare fire walls. You will see what needs swapped. I cheated and bolted the cut out fire wall to the 89 at the booster mounts. Then cut where needed then welded on. You also have to drill a few mounting holes for the heater box. It's a big task. But cool when done.
ok man, sounds more tedious then anything. thanks for the advice and input. Ill be doing what you did minus the exterior body work. I just want to convert the inside, the outside is a Wagoneer