Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

97 grand Cherokee dumb question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 97 grand Cherokee dumb question

Ok. Just picked up a 97 grand Cherokee with a tow bar mounted to the stock front bumper. Seems pretty stout, has half inch plates behind bolts but a read that your supposed to have a set of mounting plages installed for a tow bar. The previous owner pulled it behind his camper. I would like to tow it also.. truck is in good shape but im worried about the bumper not being strong enough. Has anyone seen anything bad happen with this configuration? Help!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

My Grand Cherokee is also set up to to behind my motorhome but the mounting brackets bolt to the ends of the front sub frame. I'm not picturing the what you are describing especially since the bumper is just a big chunk of plastic.
Can you post a picture?
Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 AM

Default tow bar mount

Originally Posted by Nick-B
My Grand Cherokee is also set up to to behind my motorhome but the mounting brackets bolt to the ends of the front sub frame. I'm not picturing the what you are describing especially since the bumper is just a big chunk of plastic.
Can you post a picture?
Im not having any luck posting a pic. But basically the two mounts are bolted to the steel bumper under the plastic and styrophome. Im not concerned about theount coming off the bumper but more the bumper coming off the truck
It seems plenty strong but i keep reading in different places how you shouldn't mount it there. They cut away the plastic squares on either side for access. It looks fine to me

Last edited by Rich Speciale; 05-15-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: add pic
Old 05-15-2016, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rich Speciale
Im not having any luck posting a pic. But basically the two mounts are bolted to the steel bumper under the plastic and styrophome. Im not concerned about theount coming off the bumper but more the bumper coming off the truck
It seems plenty strong but i keep reading in different places how you shouldn't mount it there. They cut away the plastic squares on either side for access. It looks fine to me
Ok so i just hooked a tow strap to one of the mounts and the other end to my f250. Put the jeep in 4 low reverse and pulled on the 250s hitch sideways as if i was trying to rip the front bumper off. I figured better to let go in my back yard then on i95 at 70. Lol. Not even a creek from the mount, and that was just one. Now i gotta explain the ruts in my yard to the wife.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

On the pictures sign up to photobucket.com its free upload them on there,Then copy and paste the img link on any forum.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:57 AM

Cool. Thanks, photo bucket huh. What do I know
Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hi Rich.
While the mounting attachment does not sound typical and certainly not the best, the previous owner towed it successfully that way and your own test proved solid. If it were me, I would use the current setup but monitor it closely. Maybe watch for a used baseplate setup for sale on CL.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 AM

Default thanks

Yep, thats the conclusion ive come to also. Im pretty sure the bumper isnt going anywhere. And im adding safety chains to the frame cause im paranoid. Dont want anyone geting hurt. Thanks for the input folks, great forum.