Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 or 01

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 92 or 01

ok so im having a hard time choosing between these 2 cherokees. one is a 92 white with 205k miles. it has a 3 inch rc lift with full leafs and really nice leather interior has a cb and aftermarket stereo. also has nice 31 m/ts on it for 1850.is almost exactly what i want to do with my jeep. the the second is a 01 with 128k miles. its completely stock and is in decent condition for 1600. im conflicted. im a student so i dont have a lot of money so if i buy the 01 nothing will be done to it for at least a year but i really want to a decent rig offroad. what are your opinions?
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

If it were me i'd go with the 01. Probably hasn't been abused and easier to deal with. Its also best to buy offroad vehicle and build it up yourself. And if your a student like me, and need decent gas mileage, then go with the 01.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 AM

ya mileage is a definite plus. Im just wanting to pick something up and throw a locker in it and go wheeling right away. guess im just being impatient.but thinking about it i want something thats going to last a really long time. im definitely not going to sell it once i get it.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:05 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

pictures? any of them rusty?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

the 92 is definately the year with the least problems out of those two years, but that's not to say that after 200k miles there aren't some problems with it now.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

I'm thinking the 92 . Bought my 92 with 3.5 lift already on her. No rust on her or any mechanical abuse was done to her. Just some rash on her body. Nothing major thow. If it runs out good and still has a floor that's the way I would go
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I am thinking the 92 also... seems to be less problems from my my own personal experience... but the mileage is high... Was the lift done correctly any paperwork for it? you might want to keep looking... if the head is bad on the 2001 it is very expensive to fix...
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22
Can you explain that reasoning? is it the tighter emissions control? the low pinion front axle giving you less ground clearance? or the crack prone 0331 head you're wanting?

Not trying to bash you, just wondering what makes you think just because it's newer, it must be better? I can't think of a single pro about getting a 2001 over any other year aside from maybe cupholders and the newer styling, but I have all that on my 97.

Sorry if that offends anyone here, If you have a 2001 and love it, that's great. Just looking at facts here that I can base a recommendation on.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the door hinges on the 92 to make sure they're not ripping away from the door jamb.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
Can you explain that reasoning? is it the tighter emissions control? the low pinion front axle giving you less ground clearance? or the crack prone 0331 head you're wanting?

Not trying to bash you, just wondering what makes you think just because it's newer, it must be better? I can't think of a single pro about getting a 2001 over any other year aside from maybe cupholders and the newer styling, but I have all that on my 97.

Sorry if that offends anyone here, If you have a 2001 and love it, that's great. Just looking at facts here that I can base a recommendation on.
Yup, I am just under the assumption that newer is better. Where do you get the idea that I think just because it's newer, it must be better? Just because I didn't explain myself? You're a moron.

I have had older XJ's before and I love my '99 way more than my others, so it's not that I don't have experience with other model years like most on this website.

Because you can't swap the axle or head? You swapped your intake on yours...

Also, the head issue is largely exaggerated. It would never stop me from purchasing a 2000-01.

If I was looking for my first vehicle, why pay more for something that has over 200k and is a few months shy of 20 years old that is already lifted and could potentially have been beat on pretty good offroad (potential scratches and body damage don't tell how hard it was run). Is there oil in the air box? If so, how long has it had blow by with that many miles on it?

Buy something stock and dependable and begin wheeling it to learn the capabilities of it in stock form and then start making upgrades.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22
Yup, I am just under the assumption that newer is better. Where do you get the idea that I think just because it's newer, it must be better? Just because I didn't explain myself? You're a moron.

I have had older XJ's before and I love my '99 way more than my others, so it's not that I don't have experience with other model years like most on this website.

Because you can't swap the axle or head? You swapped your intake on yours...

Also, the head issue is largely exaggerated. It would never stop me from purchasing a 2000-01.

If I was looking for my first vehicle, why pay more for something that has over 200k and is a few months shy of 20 years old that is already lifted and could potentially have been beat on pretty good offroad (potential scratches and body damage don't tell how hard it was run). Is there oil in the air box? If so, how long has it had blow by with that many miles on it?

Buy something stock and dependable and begin wheeling it to learn the capabilities of it in stock form and then start making upgrades.
Offended much? My inquiries were sincere, I would still like to hear the reasoning. Yes, the head and front axle are swappable... but you still have to contend with a number of other issues, such as the emissions restrictions that costed the 99-01 15hp which they had to make up with a new intake design (which we use on our 98 and older xj's as an upgrade to gain a few additional ponies rather than make up for lost ones).

As for where did I get the idea that you thought newer meant better.... well, you just confirmed my assumption with your second to last paragraph starting with "if I was looking for my first vehicle". Sorry man, you sounded a little wired in your response. Please understand I am only looking to further my own XJ knowledge as well as help others.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:33 AM

Year: 2000

I'd get the one thats closer to what you want to end up with.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
Offended much? My inquiries were sincere, I would still like to hear the reasoning. Yes, the head and front axle are swappable... but you still have to contend with a number of other issues, such as the emissions restrictions that costed the 99-01 15hp which they had to make up with a new intake design (which we use on our 98 and older xj's as an upgrade to gain a few additional ponies rather than make up for lost ones).

As for where did I get the idea that you thought newer meant better.... well, you just confirmed my assumption with your second to last paragraph starting with "if I was looking for my first vehicle". Sorry man, you sounded a little wired in your response. Please understand I am only looking to further my own XJ knowledge as well as help others.
Not offended and I didn't confirm anything. Guess I should have started it with, "If one was looking for their first vehicle..."

But to each their own.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

I say the '92, but I'm prejudiced since that's my Jeep's year. But since you're planning on modding it I'd consider where you live and how much rust and crap everything on the 92 has been exposed to because busted nuts and bolts are a real pain...