5 speed or Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0cyl inline 6
Default 5 speed or Automatic

So whats the opinions on a 5 speed transmission vs an automatic trans for all around wheeling and offroad trail riding?
Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I dont have a lot of varied wheeling experience but have had my ax15 XJ for 8-9 years. I see it like this 2 feet 3 pedals. For technical stuff an auto is going to be easier to manipulate. You could compensate with a manual with a high throttle system but I dont have one just theory.

I think this is going to be an either love one or the other. Both have advantages. I love manual trans and have driven them for 25+ years with only 2-3years in automatics. I do however HATE driving in heavy traffic which I do a lot. I have a feeling I would feel the same on a harsh trail.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 Liter I6 PowerTech

I've owned 2 manual Jeeps, and one auto. I like manual for the street and mud, but auto seems to work better for rock crawling and technical stuff. I'm glad I have an auto in my current XJ.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I prefer and auto in the woods. It's just more pleasant. Several of my buddies swear by standards though. I've heard "I enjoy the challenge" several times.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door

both are awesome. it's preference up until you get into really hairy uphill rock climbing where an automatic is clearly better. same with racing. auto transmission FTW! I love a 5 speed but I wouldn't trade my auto for anything in some of the spots I get myself into. you can have all the gear reduction in the world but needing to shift in the middle of a climb can really **** you.

standard transmission is reliable as all get out and wont over heat like an auto. for an all around versatile trail choice, I'd have to pick the 5 speed
Old 12-08-2014, 06:38 PM

Yeah thats how I see it, auto would be alot nicer in more technical trail riding and rock crawling. But the fun of a 5 speed manual cant be beat!
Old 12-08-2014, 07:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Litre

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
I prefer and auto in the woods. It's just more pleasant. Several of my buddies swear by standards though. I've heard "I enjoy the challenge" several times.
Doesn't that basically mean, "I enjoy figuring out how to get unstuck"?
Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I believe that the automatic is best for hills, rocks, and crawling.

The manual has more power going through slippery surfaces.

On the road, it just comes down to the preference of liking more control or letting the Jeep do the work for you. I prefer automatic just because I'm lazy.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by black label
Doesn't that basically mean, "I enjoy figuring out how to get unstuck"?
Not necessarily, just need to focus on being in the right gear and not stalling. With 5 speed you just can't stop. Once you lose your momentum and have to get going in a tough spot then it sucks, but if you can romp right over it then it's more fun.

5 speed transmissions are more stout than autos, but clutches are not. Somebody I know blew a clutch in the woods. I don't know how, but it happened and he needed to be towed out.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
Not necessarily, just need to focus on being in the right gear and not stalling. With 5 speed you just can't stop. Once you lose your momentum and have to get going in a tough spot then it sucks, but if you can romp right over it then it's more fun. 5 speed transmissions are more stout than autos, but clutches are not. Somebody I know blew a clutch in the woods. I don't know how, but it happened and he needed to be towed out.
I was being a smart a$$

I'm a manual guy through and through. That said, there are 2 vehicles I'd prefer an automatic for. 1 would be a jeep for off roading (mines a stick but off roading doesn't exist in MA), the second would be a Porsche 911 turbo (any other Porsche make mine a manual please). I've had extensive seat time in the auto and stick versions of the turbo and can safely say that the auto is faster (3.4 sec 0-60 vs 3.7) and just more fun.

In a car that powerful, when you want to do a quick take off all you get to do is eyeball the tach and get ready to shift in a manual. In the auto you just enjoy being pressed into the seat and keep an eye out for cops who want to ruin your fun.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:05 PM

Hahahaha^^^^ I agree! Manual is fun I just wanted to see if I could get any benefits with a manual in my jeep, but as it seems that either one will perform similarly then I think I will save the swap for that dreaded day of my auto blowing to pieces XD
Old 12-08-2014, 08:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Motowxx
Hahahaha^^^^ I agree! Manual is fun I just wanted to see if I could get any benefits with a manual in my jeep, but as it seems that either one will perform similarly then I think I will save the swap for that dreaded day of my auto blowing to pieces XD
I do remember many many years ago reading an article about wranglers (maybe cj's I can't remember everything, I'm old). They made that the manual had a heavy duty starter that could be used to drive the vehicle out of mud. The benefit was that with less power it was easier to get traction and get moving again.

I do not know if this was ever true of the XJ but I do know my XJ is the first vehicle I've had that could be started without pushing the clutch so I could make it move with the starter motor alone.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by black label

I do remember many many years ago reading an article about wranglers (maybe cj's I can't remember everything, I'm old). They made that the manual had a heavy duty starter that could be used to drive the vehicle out of mud. The benefit was that with less power it was easier to get traction and get moving again.

I do not know if this was ever true of the XJ but I do know my XJ is the first vehicle I've had that could be started without pushing the clutch so I could make it move with the starter motor alone.
That's really interesting I never thought the starter motor alone would be able to move the jeep
Old 12-08-2014, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Motowxx
That's really interesting I never thought the starter motor alone would be able to move the jeep
that's how my friend drove his manual Honda to the shop when the clutch went out. Just started it in first gear from a red light and shifted VERY carefully.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
that's how my friend drove his manual Honda to the shop when the clutch went out. Just started it in first gear from a red light and shifted VERY carefully.
How old was that Honda?

Quick Reply: 5 speed or Automatic