Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited Air Conditiong Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited Air Conditiong Problems

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited with air conditioning problems. Before I descend into the abyss of air conditioning shops and get rooked I would like to try a more sane approach. This vehicle was "willed" to me so I don't have a lot of history, but I do know the previous owner did not use the air conditioning much. When I first started troubleshooting I noted that the A/C clutch was not cycling. I bought a canister of R134a with a meter and followed the instructions. The A/C clutch began cycling but there was no cold air being generated. A friend told me the clutch was "short cycling" with was not correct. What do I know, I'm a computer network administrator? The blower motor works fine and the valve which opens the duct at the passengers side feet area works also. Only ambient air flows. Visually checked all fuses -Good.

Suggestions please?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would start by spraying the hell out of the compressor/clutch with some WD40. Mine gets a bit sticky time to time (dirt and sand build up in it), and a good spraying of that seems to get most of the crud out. And check/fill it up with freon.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

In my 2001 Sport I had to have the evap replaced. The compressor would kick on and blow just fine, except in was outside temperature air. The Jeep dealership found that my evap needed to be replaced. They replaced it and now I have cold A/C. Just know if that is the case, it's not a cheap fix. I'm no expert on A/C systems, but this is what I experienced with my XJ.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Try another can of freon, it may not have enough. The little pressure gauges that come with those kits are inaccurate. The pressure will rise and fall as the compressor cycles on and off. If it gets better, great, if not, you're only out a can of freon. OH and be sure to keep the can right side up and shake it a bit while it's charging. Upside down puts liquid freon in.. you don't want that. It IS really better to take it to a qualified shop and have it pumped down and check for leaks and then filled, but as you probably already know, not the cheapest route. Be cool ;-)