Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default 2" spacer lift

I know there will be people here telling me to not do it but I can get one for real cheap so it won't break my bank and I am not looking to spending a lot of money. I am a college student so every cent counts. My questions are why is it that I hear and can tell from my xj that the stock suspension can ride smoothly with 30" tires but yet some 2" lifts such as the rubicon stats that the max size for the lift is 31"? I would think that 32s would be the highest. I would either like to get some 30's or 31's on there depending on how much room is made after the lift. Another question is won't the springs be pressured a lot and cause a jumpy ride with spacers? My last question is if oem graded shocks can extend long enough for the lift or should I upgrade? I plan on doing all this or as much as I can during the summer so I would like to know which shocks to buy before I get the lift
Old 01-25-2012, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by unidentifiedbomb
I know there will be people here telling me to not do it but I can get one for real cheap so it won't break my bank and I am not looking to spending a lot of money. I am a college student so every cent counts. My questions are why is it that I hear and can tell from my xj that the stock suspension can ride smoothly with 30" tires but yet some 2" lifts such as the rubicon stats that the max size for the lift is 31"? I would think that 32s would be the highest. I would either like to get some 30's or 31's on there depending on how much room is made after the lift. Another question is won't the springs be pressured a lot and cause a jumpy ride with spacers? My last question is if oem graded shocks can extend long enough for the lift or should I upgrade? I plan on doing all this or as much as I can during the summer so I would like to know which shocks to buy before I get the lift
Coil spacers up front, what out back? Blocks, AAL, Shackle?

You should be able to run 30's, 31's probably will rub.

The springs won't be more compressed as you aren't adding weight.

You will need longer shocks. Look into getting cheap shocks for a JK jeep as they are 2-3" longer than stock XJ shocks.

I understand the constraints of a budget. Read up on bastard packs and budget boosts to determine exactly what you want out of a lift.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Your fine to run a spacer, several on this forum do. My moms zj has a 2" spacer lift.

It will probably ride a little different, not necessarily worse. It just changes your suspension geometry.

The tire clearance doesn't quite work like that, the fenders on our xj's are quite small. Making room for a one inch bigger tire usually takes more than a one inch bigger lift, trimming greatly enables room for bigger tires. Without trimming 31s most likely will rub the flare and if your on stock rims they will rub your lower control arms.

You can run stock sized shocks but when you have the dough get some that are made for your size lift. The stockers will be limited and might get damaged by flexing the suspension too far.

And don't forget my signature, align your steering after lifting.

Last edited by xj wheeler; 01-25-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Based on my experience with 2 XJs that we put 2" lifts on, I would stay with 30" tires. What's your plan for lifting the rear?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: L6 242 4.0

As far as Tire size with my 2" I was told that 31's were the best size to go with before any trimming had to be done. Later I added 2" blocks and shackles to get 4" so i could run a set of 32's. i noticed the ride is a little rougher but all in all i love the added lift for dirt cheap. from factory to 2" blocks you can keep all the same control arms and trac bar. I ran factory shocks for a 2" lift until i gathered up some money to change them out just to be on the safe side.

2" on 31's. little bit of room but idk about fitting 32's. with a little bit of flex i think the fender flares would get ripped off
Name:  frontsoff.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  59.8 KB
Old 01-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: L6 242 4.0

my 31/10.5 on the factory ecco wheels didnt rub at all except at full turn of the wheel and when i flexed it on the trails. i got close to ripping the fender flare off but just cleared it.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM

31 will fit on stock suspension if u cut the crap out of the fenders but if u don't want to do that u will only be able to fit 30" with a 2 in lift my buddy runs 32 but is lifted 4.5
Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Im going to be running new HD coils they are .7" taller then stock and i just replaced all my shocks with OEM length ones. Ordering a 2" shackle/ spacer lift and i trimmed my fenders. u will def fit 31"s trimmed but 30"s without trimming. Ill be running 31"s in the spring
Old 01-25-2012, 01:52 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry I would plan on doing shackles in the rear, I don't like the thought of a block and aal I've heard some bad things about them and they cost more. I have stock wrangler rims from a tj most likely around 02' is my step mom's car. I would like to run 30"s more than 31"s for more space and flexing but I was really looking for the type on treadwright and the only 30's they have are the super swamper and the puma that looks like a upgrade of my tire which is almost bfgoodrich and I don't want that. So until I found a good budget tire that is great for the road and off i would just have to run my goodyear rs/t. For shocks since I had already planned on buying new ones to replace my shot stockers I would most likely buy rough countries 2-3" lift shocks
Old 01-25-2012, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Good call on the shackles, should ride better as well.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
CF Veteran

I was looking around and found these http://www.tireteam.com/item_detail?...EN2428953015CW, they look good and especially for the right price. They defiantly are a big step up from my current tires. Defiantly the best tire i've found for that price for everything I'll need it for. I'll probably buy these come summer time after everything else is bought