Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1990 xj's vs 97-99 xj's pros/cons

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1990 xj's vs 97-99 xj's pros/cons

All my knowledge (mediocre) is 96-99 xjs but recently heard of someone might be interested in bartering me a
1990 xj renix with 4.0. The brakes have all been swapped to vacuum boost off '97 xj and has 170k orig miles. Says runs good but high idle..

What are your thoughts? Im not sure what driveline is or even what option came in a 90 Laredo for axles tcase etc. Im doing research now but coming up with random things. It's gonna be a drive to go check it out and can hopefully get more details by then. Is this going to become a nightmare?!
thx
Old 02-09-2017, 07:41 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1stpalindrone
All my knowledge (mediocre) is 96-99 xjs but recently heard of someone might be interested in bartering me a
1990 xj renix with 4.0. The brakes have all been swapped to vacuum boost off '97 xj and has 170k orig miles. Says runs good but high idle..

What are your thoughts? Im not sure what driveline is or even what option came in a 90 Laredo for axles tcase etc. Im doing research now but coming up with random things. It's gonna be a drive to go check it out and can hopefully get more details by then. Is this going to become a nightmare?!
thx
Not a nightmare at all.
A few things to tend to up front but cheap and easy.

My website is dedicated to that era Cherokee and Comanche.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 90. No prior experience with XJs. Cruiser has been an invaluable resource in getting this thing running right. Once you get your mind wrapped around the way the Renix era XJs work, they are easy to work with. Compared to the newer cares I have had to trouble shoot, this thing is simple. Just need to know how to work a multi meter.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by bad_idea
I have a 90. No prior experience with XJs. Cruiser has been an invaluable resource in getting this thing running right. Once you get your mind wrapped around the way the Renix era XJs work, they are easy to work with. Compared to the newer cares I have had to trouble shoot, this thing is simple. Just need to know how to work a multi meter.
Yep. Do the tips suggested and you're on your way to happy Jeeping.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

A few things are different that come to mind:

• The '90 will have a Dana 30 up front, with (most likely) the center axle disconnect on the passenger side. Smaller u-joints than what you're used to. I have yet to have the CAD fail me- replace your vacuum lines proactively.
  • The 4.0L has a few less horses, but the Renix ECM is very easy to work on once you understand it. There is no check-engine light. Many of us have a ton of knowledge on them. Personally, I love it.
  • Fuel tank is metal, not plastic.
  • It's rare, but you might luck out and find a factory Dana 44 in the rear. Otherwise, I believe a '90 began the C-clip 35.
  • 1980's GM-style steering column.
  • Brake master cylinder bore size is 15/16" and has a single-diaphragm booster, instead of 1" and double. (If the one you're looking at has already been swapped, then great!)
  • Cooling system is a sealed system, no radiator cap.
  • 1980's GM-style fuse block located under dash on left side of firewall. If it has a manual transmission, check the fuse block's condition as some clutch master cylinders leak and cause the fuse block terminals to corrode.
  • Front seat mounts are different than later years.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajpulley
  • The '90 will have a Dana 30 up front, with (most likely) the center axle disconnect on the passenger side. Smaller u-joints than what you're used to. I have yet to have the CAD fail me- replace your vacuum lines proactively.
  • The 4.0L has a few less horses, but the Renix ECM is very easy to work on once you understand it. There is no check-engine light. Many of us have a ton of knowledge on them. Personally, I love it.
  • It's rare, but you might luck out and find a factory Dana 44 in the rear. Otherwise, I believe a '90 began the C-clip 35.
  • Brake master cylinder bore size is 15/16" and has a single-diaphragm booster, instead of 1" and double. (If the one you're looking at has already been swapped, then great!)
  • 1980's GM-style fuse block located under dash on left side of firewall. If it has a manual transmission, check the fuse block's condition as some clutch master cylinders leak and cause the fuo gse block terminals to corrode.
Thx for the great info guys! Im gonna look into it? Got an answer back for a possible trade ​​​​​​Do you all know anything about zj's? '93 zj in pretty good shape 130k miles..

Cruiser54, whats your site link?
Thx again
Old 02-09-2017, 11:02 PM

• 1980's GM-style fuse block located under dash on left side of firewall. If it has a manual transmission, check the fuse block's condition as some clutch master cylinders leak and cause the fuo gse block terminals to corrode.
Thx for the great info guys! Im gonna look into it? Got an answer back for a possible trade ​​​​​​Do you all know anything about zj's? '93 zj in pretty good shape 130k miles..

Cruiser54, whats your site link?
Thx again
Old 02-10-2017, 05:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Personally, don't know much about the Grands.

Click on the pink website link. He has great information/tips there.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:20 AM

Personally, don't know much about the Grands.

Click on the pink website link. He has great information/tips there.
It doesn't always show on the app for some reason.

www.cruiser54.com