05 and up GC

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 05 and up GC

Just curious as to whether or not any one has had any experience with the latter GC's. My mother showed up the other day..test driving a 07 trailblazer. She wants something she can pull a pop-up with.Im a jeeper,my wife and several friends. Id like to get her in a newer GC. Any quirks or common issues with these things? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by AutomaticKrackr; 01-28-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

My best friends brother bought one there nice but there not a "jeep" there based on the mercedes ml platform i.e ifs suspension. But i doubt your mom's gonna put a 6.5 long arm lift and 35s so there quite cabable stock and the hemi's nice or 4.7l. I can in no way recommend the 3.7L we had a liberty for a while (my wife chose it calm down) had nothing but problems with that engine. Hope she has good luck with what ever she gets
Old 01-28-2011, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I have a buddy that has a 05 with a Hemi, and he loves it other then the gas mileage..
I have a 06 KJ 4x4 with the 3.7 and my sister has a 03 KJ 2WD also with a 3.7 both right about 80k and no real issues with either!
I also tow a larger pop-up with mine, and it tows no problem.
Plenty of guys on the KJ forum have 150k+ and a few 200k+ with little to no issues in the 3.7.
I wanted a GC but found this KJ for real cheap, and I really like it as a DD.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by AutomaticKrackr
Just curious as to whether or not any one has had any experience with the latter GC's. My mother showed up the other day..test driving a 07 trailblazer. She wants something she can pull a pop-up with.Im a jeeper,my wife and several friends. Id like to get her in a newer GC. Any quirks or common issues with these things? Thanks for the help!
personally the WJ was the last GC that was still jeep.

Latest is based off a MB platform as someone else also pointed out and the IFS is garbage.

Its not just that you cant lift it, i dont care about that. What pisses me off about it is there are 10 times more moving parts and things to go wrong and when it does its a huge pain in the *** to fix compared to a solid axle.

First mod I'm doing to my Ranger is a SAS for this reason.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

we had an 05 GC laredo 6 cyl about 1 1/2 year ago. but shortly sold it after my wife decided that it was too big for her to drive & that it consumed more gas than her accord. we didn't have the GC that long but for the amount of time we had it, we loved it. mechanically nothing was wrong. ran smooth & had a lot of room.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 AM

Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

I have an 05(the wife has) that I pull a 4x8 trailer loaded down all the time. It is the V6 but it does OK. It has a 2" BB on it now. I have had no problems with it at all. It is not an XJ but it does surprisingly well off road and is great in snow with street tires.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

My dad leased an 05 with the hemi that thing was solid had a great ride an never had any problems at all. Was his DD for 3 years. Interior is a bit ****ty plastic, but it's a nice layout. Nav system was a bit confusing .

Now he has an 08 liberty with the 3.7 v6... It's horrible. He hasn't had any problems with it but it's just has no power and it just spins his wheels out on the snow. Plus it's ugly as hell :/

He's lookin into the patriot now but we don't particularly like the idea of an even smaller engine... X/
Old 01-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Year: 2001

My wife drives an 05 GC and we love it. Handles really well. My mother in law owns a trailblazer and she hates it. The only downside we have found is the 05 GC has a common transmission leak issue. The sensor that plugs directly into the trans comes loose or the seal breaks and fluid will leak. Other than that it has been a solid ride. We purchased it new in 05 that has been the only problem in 6 years.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Year: 1999

Sweet. Thanks for all the input guys.Made the decision a little easer.The GC will be my moms so it wont be offroad much if at all. She wanted something to pull a popup and i told her I wont work on a trailblazer.Thanks again.