Welder for beginner - Jeep Cherokee Forum

Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Welder for beginner

Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Welder for beginner

I was curious on what type of welder would be best for a beginner to learn on. Iíve talked to a couple people at work and some say MIG is the easiest and best choice while others say stick and Iíve also done some reading about flux-cored. Iím not looking into fabrication I just want something that I can do simple welds with. The only welding Iíve done was building up some rods with oxy acetylene many years ago, so Iím a complete beginner. Like I said, Iím not looking to do big jobs or start building anything I just want to be able to stick two pieces of metal together.

Last edited by BigFred; 09-25-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

ill tell you this ......you can get a much better stick welder cheap than a flux core or mig machine plus a lot less stuff to go wrong with a stick machine (no moving parts, no tanks , no regulators ,no tips ,no gun) just to name a few look on youtube for cheapest stick welder on amazon by ChuckE2009 he goes into great detail on why a cheap stick welder is better . if money is no object a nice mig machine is tuff to beat !!
Old 09-25-2018, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by tinytrax78 View Post
ill tell you this ......you can get a much better stick welder cheap than a flux core or mig machine plus a lot less stuff to go wrong with a stick machine (no moving parts, no tanks , no regulators ,no tips ,no gun) just to name a few look on youtube for cheapest stick welder on amazon by ChuckE2009 he goes into great detail on why a cheap stick welder is better . if money is no object a nice mig machine is tuff to beat !!
I picked up a Hobart Handler 140 110v unit that does Flux/Gas for $200 CAD brand new never used.

I would take my mig unit over a stick unit any day for doing small welding jobs of various sheet metal and anything under 1/4"
Old 09-25-2018, 04:23 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by firebane View Post
I picked up a Hobart Handler 140 110v unit that does Flux/Gas for $200 CAD brand new never used.

I would take my mig unit over a stick unit any day for doing small welding jobs of various sheet metal and anything under 1/4"
Where in Calgary did you find a Handler 140 for $200 CAD brand new? The regular price on that is like $900+tax, I want in on your deal lol. FWIW I'd also pick something like that welder for a first unit if and only if you can't make 240V happen where you need to be welding.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by EvstaG View Post
Where in Calgary did you find a Handler 140 for $200 CAD brand new? The regular price on that is like $900+tax, I want in on your deal lol. FWIW I'd also pick something like that welder for a first unit if and only if you can't make 240V happen where you need to be welding.
HAHA some dude was moving and had a bunch of junk in his storage locker. He posted it to Kijiji and I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. He said I was first and I got dibs as there was like 50 other people waiting.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Going to get some flak for this, but you can do most Fab work with a oxy-acetylene setup. You can cut very thick steel, you can weld some pretty thick stuff, you can also weld aluminum with it.

If you learn to gas weld first, it'll make you a better welder in the long run.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Year: 92

get a DC stick machine. i've got just about every type machine there is and i use the stick rig more than anything else. you can find a used one cheap on craigs list or one of the welder forums.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

stick is easier to learn, but with a good stick machine, you will need rods, lots of rods and you will have to store them properly. best to have a rod oven, but those are expensive. we had an old refrigerator that was converted to warming, and kept all the rods in that.

i use mine quite a bit, but a decent mig machine is a lot easier to move around, weld thin metal with and no need to figure out which rod to use. you just need really clean material.

tig is really nice, and not as hard to use as most would think. it just takes a lot of patience to learn on, but far superior to even mig. i don't use mine enough.