Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Welder for beginner

Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Welder for beginner

I was curious on what type of welder would be best for a beginner to learn on. I’ve talked to a couple people at work and some say MIG is the easiest and best choice while others say stick and I’ve also done some reading about flux-cored. I’m not looking into fabrication I just want something that I can do simple welds with. The only welding I’ve done was building up some rods with oxy acetylene many years ago, so I’m a complete beginner. Like I said, I’m not looking to do big jobs or start building anything I just want to be able to stick two pieces of metal together.

Last edited by BigFred; 09-25-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

ill tell you this ......you can get a much better stick welder cheap than a flux core or mig machine plus a lot less stuff to go wrong with a stick machine (no moving parts, no tanks , no regulators ,no tips ,no gun) just to name a few look on youtube for cheapest stick welder on amazon by ChuckE2009 he goes into great detail on why a cheap stick welder is better . if money is no object a nice mig machine is tuff to beat !!
Old 09-25-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by tinytrax78
ill tell you this ......you can get a much better stick welder cheap than a flux core or mig machine plus a lot less stuff to go wrong with a stick machine (no moving parts, no tanks , no regulators ,no tips ,no gun) just to name a few look on youtube for cheapest stick welder on amazon by ChuckE2009 he goes into great detail on why a cheap stick welder is better . if money is no object a nice mig machine is tuff to beat !!
I picked up a Hobart Handler 140 110v unit that does Flux/Gas for $200 CAD brand new never used.

I would take my mig unit over a stick unit any day for doing small welding jobs of various sheet metal and anything under 1/4"
Old 09-25-2018, 04:23 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by firebane
I picked up a Hobart Handler 140 110v unit that does Flux/Gas for $200 CAD brand new never used.

I would take my mig unit over a stick unit any day for doing small welding jobs of various sheet metal and anything under 1/4"
Where in Calgary did you find a Handler 140 for $200 CAD brand new? The regular price on that is like $900+tax, I want in on your deal lol. FWIW I'd also pick something like that welder for a first unit if and only if you can't make 240V happen where you need to be welding.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:29 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by EvstaG
Where in Calgary did you find a Handler 140 for $200 CAD brand new? The regular price on that is like $900+tax, I want in on your deal lol. FWIW I'd also pick something like that welder for a first unit if and only if you can't make 240V happen where you need to be welding.
HAHA some dude was moving and had a bunch of junk in his storage locker. He posted it to Kijiji and I jumped on it as soon as I saw it. He said I was first and I got dibs as there was like 50 other people waiting.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to get some flak for this, but you can do most Fab work with a oxy-acetylene setup. You can cut very thick steel, you can weld some pretty thick stuff, you can also weld aluminum with it.

If you learn to gas weld first, it'll make you a better welder in the long run.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 92

get a DC stick machine. i've got just about every type machine there is and i use the stick rig more than anything else. you can find a used one cheap on craigs list or one of the welder forums.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

stick is easier to learn, but with a good stick machine, you will need rods, lots of rods and you will have to store them properly. best to have a rod oven, but those are expensive. we had an old refrigerator that was converted to warming, and kept all the rods in that.

i use mine quite a bit, but a decent mig machine is a lot easier to move around, weld thin metal with and no need to figure out which rod to use. you just need really clean material.

tig is really nice, and not as hard to use as most would think. it just takes a lot of patience to learn on, but far superior to even mig. i don't use mine enough.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

I second the Hobart Handler 140. I picked mine up for around $500, and my C25 tank ran about $300 (after learning more I over paid big time for the tank). Don't bother with flux, just spring for a tank if you can. It's been an awesome welder so far. I've been running .030 wire and welded quite a bit of 3/16 with no issues.

One of the BleepinJeep guys did a pretty good review on it if you search YouTube.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I bought a Hobart Handler 140 to learn how to weld with. I'm still learning. One of the first things I learned not to do was store it with the wire still in the welder. Fluctuating temps will cause the wire to corrode. Remove the roll of wire and store it on top of the hot water heater in your house.

That's my two cents worth!
Still learning! 😁
Old 12-13-2018, 08:04 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Friar Mountain XJ
I bought a Hobart Handler 140 to learn how to weld with. I'm still learning. One of the first things I learned not to do was store it with the wire still in the welder. Fluctuating temps will cause the wire to corrode. Remove the roll of wire and store it on top of the hot water heater in your house.

That's my two cents worth!
Still learning! ��
Corrosion happens because of exposure of base metals to the natural environment...moisture, and air oxidizes the metal to make it more chemically stable, but destroying the base material in the process.

How does storing your wire on top of a water heater help this? I've never heard of such a thing, and thinking a water heater would be the LAST place I'd be putting my wire..

If you need to store wire, or electrodes, dry environments are best. Arc rod, depending on what it is, should be stored in an oven. Wire, is in an airtight bag with desiccant. If you've ever opened a wire spool, then the way they packaged it is the best way to store it, lol

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 12-13-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:12 PM

BTW, I leave spools on my machine all the time. Unless you only use your machine once in several years, I would not be worried about it. There's also wire feed cleaning pads/chems available. I use them at work AND home.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
Corrosion happens because of exposure of base metals to the natural environment...moisture, and air oxidizes the metal to make it more chemically stable, but destroying the base material in the process.

How does storing your wire on top of a water heater help this? I've never heard of such a thing, and thinking a water heater would be the LAST place I'd be putting my wire..

If you need to store wire, or electrodes, dry environments are best. Arc rod, depending on what it is, should be stored in an oven. Wire, is in an airtight bag with desiccant. If you've ever opened a wire spool, then the way they packaged it is the best way to store it, lol
If your hot water heater is moist you have a problem. The wire stored on top will stay warm not as hot as an oven but hot enough to keep the wire from sweating like a cold soda can on a hot day. It was suggested to me by the old guy at the welding store. He probably has 50 years of welding experience. Like I said, I'm learning. So far, I have one large wheel of welding wire I've had for five years and one large wheel of welding wire that's only good for lashing wire. I have had that wheel of wire for about 5 years and a month.

I don't weld often!

Last edited by Friar Mountain XJ; 12-13-2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Friar Mountain XJ
If your hot water heater is moist you have a problem. The wire stored on top will stay warm not as hot as an oven but hot enough to keep the wire from sweating like a cold soda can on a hot day. It was suggested to me by the old guy at the welding store. He probably has 50 years of welding experience. Like I said, I'm learning. So far, I have one large wheel of welding wire I've had for five years and one large wheel of welding wire that's only good for lashing wire. I have had that wheel of wire for about 5 years and a month.
I agree, if your water heater is moist, that's no bueno...however, common sense dictates to me at least, a water source is not the best place for materials that can corrode. And, sometimes, "old timers" advice can be straight wrong...I have great respect for experience and knowledge, but, people also learn new and improved ways over time, so sometimes the "old way" doesn't mean it's the best way.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 231 Likes on 134 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by skife
Going to get some flak for this, but you can do most Fab work with a oxy-acetylene setup. You can cut very thick steel, you can weld some pretty thick stuff, you can also weld aluminum with it.

If you learn to gas weld first, it'll make you a better welder in the long run.
I agree with this. If I were to get rid of all of my welders the O/A torch would be the last to go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Welder for beginner