Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Turning the "sound bar" into a sub enclosure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:40 AM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Default Turning the "sound bar" into a sub enclosure?

Obviously i'm not trying to shake the mud off the truck with this idea. I'd really like to create a more full sound, but I honestly don't want to go the subwoofer/box in the cargo area routine.

I've seen the boxes for the cubby holes on here, but I plan on doing the false floor thing to throw my tools and extra/spare parts in for off roading.

I have a sound bar in my garage and was thinking I could box it in and create a small enclosure for some good 6 1/2" woofers(nothing heavy, but decent), two....maybe four.

I currently have a 5 1/4 in each front door, and i've cut the kick panels to fit 2 more 5 1/4's. The plan would be to get a good 200-ish watt 4 channel amp, run the front set(bridged) to the front speakers and then run the rear channels on the 6 1/2's in the sound bar.

I'm just thinking "outside the box" here....so forgive me if this seems off the wall(or more like on the roof )
Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6

go for it
Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would fiberglass the bar to give it more support. I have a 6.5 inch sub that works pretty well ( not really loud though) in that cubby area so as long as the bar is strong enough to hold 2 of them then it should sound pretty good.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Out side the box for sure. Only problem I can see is if u don't make separate chambers for the speakers u might get cross talk. If it were me I would buy 2 component combos. 2 sub/mids and 2 tweeters with a crossover. I would fiber the inside only like a 16th" and make 3 walls inside. Put the tweeters toward the center. Then run ur amp on full sound to ur 2 crossovers. It will sound crisp clean and full. Those component set ups are a little pricey but sound grate and then u would just need ur fiber and ur amp. Just the way I would do it if I wanted premium sound.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:57 PM
Registered Users

I don't want any highs back there, it will mess up the staging in front. I was gonna position the bar just behind the rear bench seat.

I can't do/use fiberglass... I was thinking to just use some thin-ish wood to "box it all in. I mean, it doesn't hafta be sealed water tight. Just enough and maybe toss some sub box fiber-fill I have layin' around. Dunno....just brainstorming.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Registered Users

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:02 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by TonyB
I can't do/use fiberglass... I was thinking to just use some thin-ish wood to "box it all in. I mean, it doesn't hafta be sealed water tight. Just enough and maybe toss some sub box fiber-fill I have layin' around. Dunno....just brainstorming.
The question here is why? If you can mix two part epoxy then you are more than capable of using fiberglass. You mentioned that you already have the OEM sound board then you are home free. Take the OEM setup and lay the fiberglass over it. If it were me I'd place one 8" or 10" woofer in the sound board having the magnet hanging down.

First thing you would want to do is cut a ring out of MDF for the driver you intend on using. Center is already punched out. Make a few little slice marks in the side of the ring for the resin and glass to really grab a hold. With the fiberglass get the cloth mat as it is much easier to work with and a few large plastic sheets. Cut the first piece of mat to size then saturate it with resin. Once the mat has no dry spots fold half of the plastic sheet over with the mat in the center. Now work the resin out of the mat off to one side. Place the now wet out piece of material over the enclosure followed by the MDF ring. Once the material is in place work hte air bubbles out ensuring a good bond between the OEM sound board mat and ring. Keep building up layers this way on the outside of the soundboard until you are about 1/2" thick. Only thing you really need to watch out for are air bubbles as they will make the end product weaker.

Once your up to 1/2" thick all around and fully cured hit it with a hammer and it should bounce right off. I did this on an old CRX with a pocket in the rear passenger quarter panel. Only had an 8" driver, but people swore that it was a pair of 12". LOL
Old 10-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Registered Users

Ugghhh, i'm really not looking to start a fiber glass project. Sime simple pieces of wood and some Gorilla Glue should work OK. If not, no biggie.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by TonyB
Ugghhh, i'm really not looking to start a fiber glass project. Sime simple pieces of wood and some Gorilla Glue should work OK. If not, no biggie.
I think it would work, I would seal it up the best i could and put in some components. Low range in the soundbar, and hook the tweeter and crossover up separately in the front. If you're making the false floor thing then go_coastal made one for his that incorporates subs into it....very nice design actually
Old 10-29-2010, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

this is a good idea!