Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

new false floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new false floor

got bored this weekend and put this together in a day. i like it but i think im going to cut off a little on the right and add a cabinet for a first aid and small survivor kit. what do yall think?
Attached Thumbnails new false floor-img_20110920_133923.jpg   new false floor-img_20110920_133933.jpg   new false floor-img_20110920_133905.jpg   new false floor-asw.jpg  

Last edited by Jordanajungman; 09-20-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 288 Likes on 238 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

i think you should add a few more pictures of the build process or they may not consider it fab.... (Btw it looks awesome. Super clean job )
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM

materials:
1-2"x8"x6'
1-1"x8"x6'
1-1"x6"x6'
1- 4'x4' 1/2 inch plywood
1 roll of carpet
1 can of spray glue
1 set of heavy duty drawer sliders
screws
staples

I used one 2"x8"x6' cut 2 peices 32" long.
then i cut a 1"x8"x6' to 43"
the 2x8 went from the back of the seat to the back of the truck with the 1*8 to close up the back
i then used a peice of card board to cut out a template onto plywood that i got, a 4'x4'.
i laid the plywood on top of the legs and screwed it all together.
i then used a roll of grey shop carpet from O'Reilly's and a can of 3m glue and carpeted the top. and front of the legs. and stapled the ends under and out of view.

i put it in the jeep and decided it was missing something so i then decided to make a drawer in the middle to make it easier to get to tools so i pulled it all back out and made a frame for the drawer

the drawer fonts and sides are 1"x6". the sides are 30", the front is 22", and the back is around 20".
i used some of the scrap peices of 1"x6" and cut them into 45s and used in the corners as bracing.
i put the bracing on the bottom and sat the bottom of the drawer on the bracing for extra support since i dont have a table saw to cut grooves in the sides to hold it in place.
for the bottom i used some extra plywood i had sitting around
I got some heavy duty drawer sliders for the side from lowes along with a window latch to keep the drawer from sliding around.

Total cost was a little less than $60

I didnt take any pictures while i was making it but if anyone wants i can draw up the plans
Old 09-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

This is my next project. I'd love the plans.

Originally Posted by Jordanajungman
materials:
1-2"x8"x6'
1-1"x8"x6'
1-1"x6"x6'
1- 4'x4' 1/2 inch plywood
1 roll of carpet
1 can of spray glue
1 set of heavy duty drawer sliders
screws
staples

I used one 2"x8"x6' cut 2 peices 32" long.
then i cut a 1"x8"x6' to 43"
the 2x8 went from the back of the seat to the back of the truck with the 1*8 to close up the back
i then used a peice of card board to cut out a template onto plywood that i got, a 4'x4'.
i laid the plywood on top of the legs and screwed it all together.
i then used a roll of grey shop carpet from O'Reilly's and a can of 3m glue and carpeted the top. and front of the legs. and stapled the ends under and out of view.

i put it in the jeep and decided it was missing something so i then decided to make a drawer in the middle to make it easier to get to tools so i pulled it all back out and made a frame for the drawer

the drawer fonts and sides are 1"x6". the sides are 30", the front is 22", and the back is around 20".
i used some of the scrap peices of 1"x6" and cut them into 45s and used in the corners as bracing.
i put the bracing on the bottom and sat the bottom of the drawer on the bracing for extra support since i dont have a table saw to cut grooves in the sides to hold it in place.
for the bottom i used some extra plywood i had sitting around
I got some heavy duty drawer sliders for the side from lowes along with a window latch to keep the drawer from sliding around.

Total cost was a little less than $60

I didnt take any pictures while i was making it but if anyone wants i can draw up the plans
Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Synyster
This is my next project. I'd love the plans.
will do, ill try to put them on tonight or tomorrow. I like it, gives me a lot of storage and a nice flat surface
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33 PM

To start take your 2x8's and cut them into 31" lengths and 43" length. 43 inches was the distance between my wheel wells minus a little for a smooth fit. the 31" was from the back of the seats to just inside the trim for the hatch, minus 2" for the back 2x8. I just used screws to hold it in place but for a sturdier floor you can go get braces from home depot and use that to tie everything together.

Now you can get some card board and cut it to fit the area inside your back. this is a rough sketch of what mine looked like

Now you can start on your drawer. i used 1x6's because the latch the hatch locks to sits up off the floor a little and i didn't want it to hit that. also the way i did it you have a lip to hold on to to open the drawer.
to start measure the inside of the middle opening. mine was at 22" so i cut the front and back at 21 3/4" to give it a little room. then i cut the sides to 30". depending on what drawer sliders you use you might have to change the spacing on the sides but mine was inset about 1/4 of an inch on each side. To get the right spacing i used finishing nails to hold everything together until i got it just right then i screwed everything together once it was just right. once it was screwed together, take some extra 1x6's and cut them into 45 degree wedges and put those in the corners. the wedges will keep everything square and will act as a shelf for the bottom of the drawer to sit on strengthening everything up. Now measure the inside of the drawer and cut it out on plywood and set it it and screw everything together.

now you can attach the drawer sliders and test fit. make any corrections now because it'll be a lot harder later. once you have everything just right, take the drawer out and now you can carpet the whole thing. covered the whole thing with one roll of carpet from o'reilly's.
I used a roll of carpet that has a rubber bottom that can absorb a gallon of oil or something like that. I figured it would clean easier
Start with the top and cut off the extra, you should have enough for the drawer front and a little extra to cover the base in the front. Spray both the top of the false floor and the bottom side of the carpet with glue. i used a 3M spray can from walmart for like $9, you will have plent left over so dont be stingy. lay the carpet on the false floor and stretch it out so that it is nice and tight. starting at the back pull it tight and use a staple gun and wrap it over and staple it all the way around the floor. you will have to make a few cuts anywhere you cut it out for the wheel well, tire, ect. Now take the left overs and do the same for the front of the drawer and the base fronts. when you are finished, it should look like this.

After the picture i did some more finishing touches to get the drawer sitting level and flush. I attached a window latch from lowes for another $3 to keep it from opening but really you dont need it, it should be pretty flush with the hatch. My window latch is actually pushing into the carpeting on the hatch. from above it looks like it is the actual floor unless you really stare. should keep people from seeing your tools and also give you a nice flat floor/work space. ''

The measurements i gave weren't exact and to make sure it fits in your jeep measure everything out yourself first. Measure twice and cut once. Doing that will save you a lot of money time and frustration. and if you are not sure, make cardboard templates first. its a cheap easy way to make sure you have everything laid out and fitting properly. also remember that the back seat is at an angle and the measurement you take off the floor will be slightly larger than 8" off the ground so make sure to take that into consideration before making any cuts.

Take your time and be as precise as you can and you will come out with something you will be very happy about, and it will look great too.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:21 PM

got a side compartment started today.

I started with the inside peice, the bottom is 30" and the top is 27"

i then made a template out of cardboard for the front and a 5" wide piece for the back 10" long with the bottom inside corner cut off. this is to make room for the tire well. i put this onto a cheap piece of plywood as a template.

this is what i came up with. the next step was transferring this over to my nicer plywood.

now i had to do a little work on the back piece. it didnt fit quite smooth so i had to notch the inside a little.

that made it sit a little closer to the trim.

now i screwed it all together and made a back piece and a bottom.

the back piece was a little tricky, it was basically the inside piece, but with the corner towards the front of the jeep cut off to fit the tire well and the back corner cut off to clear the trim piece.

this is it with the template lid in place

the hinges will be on the inside of the back and i decided to cut out a groove for a handle

that is about it. i just need to transfer the lid over to the good plywood and then carpet the whole thing. all together so far is about $16 and will take another 10 for carpeting. I have some 90 degree bracing that i will use to secure it to the floor
Old 09-23-2011, 03:17 AM
Resident Pirate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Thats awesome! i like the way you put the cabinet so its so close to the side. one question though, does it in any way impede your spare tire removal?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.o

i always wanted to build the secure storage back there, but i put the K9 back there sometimes too. anyone have pics of built in storage that allows for a 40lb dog? is that even possible?

your's looks wicked though
Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by taythegibs
Thats awesome! i like the way you put the cabinet so its so close to the side. one question though, does it in any way impede your spare tire removal?
I cut a space large enough for the tie to slide in and out easily. I also plan on getting a full size spare tire and will cut it out more so it will fit in the same spot.

I have a large black lab that fits back there with plenty of room, if you bolted the whole thing down and put a lock on it it would be a lot more secure also.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:24 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6 - Headwork, AFE CAI, 3" Magnaflow Pipe on Banks CC Headers

Agent - you could buy safari straps? That'll keep your dog back there. Im glad this thread started I just did a trunk build, ill contribute pics tomorrow

Last edited by WhiteSCXJ8; 09-27-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 PM

I was just thinking about this kind of thing and then someone directed me to this thread! It looks like you've had this project done for a while now. How's it working out for you now? Would you do anything different? Do the drawer slides rattle much? My XJ is already squeaky and loud enough that I probably wouldn't notice any more noise but still...

What about mounting it to the floor? I know I want mine to be well secured, just in case a Jeep moment happens

I've also been looking at some kind of material that would be able to handle the heat from a camp stove for a mobile kitchen. Have you looked at adding some tie-downs on the top to help secure other items like a cooler?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 PM

hey I like it keeps all your junk from rolling around
Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

good job. I plan on doing the same but the front 2/3 of my storage will be my sub box and I will use 3/4" MDF and wrap it in matching carpet
Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Update

so ive had the floor for a bottom now and have loved it. nothing rattles from the floor but i have a set of heavy duty sockets that are loose and rattle every now and then. the only problem that i have had with it was that i put medium duty sliders in and had to upgrade to heavy duty.

I have recently taken out the box on the side and put in subs, two 12" audiobahns that are inverted with a 2400 watt amp. this setup sounds mean, hits hard and just sounds awesome. the hatch rattles a little when you are on the outside but im gonna fix that soon.

i want to put in some tie down spots eventually but havent really needed them yet since i havent done any serious off roading and felt like things were gonna go flying, the same with needing it secured to the floor. the thing is heavy enough it has never moved. with the back seats up its wedged into place and with the seats down its so heavy it wont slide around.

before i put the subs in my 70 lb black retriever boxer mix and loved it, had no problem jumping in and out from the hatch. she now has to sit in the back seat but stays there and just moves form window to window.

ill add some now pictures to show people, be back in a few

Quick Reply: new false floor