Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Krazy XJ Kamper

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: classified information
Model: Cherokee
Engine: .30 over 4.0
Default Krazy XJ Kamper

Oh boy another one of my crazy ideas that I haven't got to yet(nowhere to do it yet). My xj has made many trips from Mexico couple times, padre island, TX, Minn, Pa,east coast n back to heartland several times.245Kmiles worth. & I've spent more than my share of night in my jeep but I never have enough room. Well here's my idea. Many of you have extra xjs like me. Take a xj 2 or 4dr your choice. Remove front clip, wax the unibody at the fire wall, strip firewall clean & smooth it out. Now slide some 2x6 channel(think it would fit, off top of my head)or square tubing that fit, in the unibody as far as she'll go. With other end(still sticking out)pre-bent for tongue & hitch. Add a brace or two at tongue & firewall area. Bolt & or weld the channel to the unibody. & you have a xj"canned ham" trailer. Remove front & rear seats. Level front floor area to the height of the WAY BACK area. Then put lids on the front(leveled)area for storage of cables,or anything that would fit. Be awesome having a xj trailer to pull behind a xj. Plus room to stretch out to sleep, carry camping supplies, extra tires, spares, everything we never seem to have enough room for. Idk.just another crazy idea.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:52 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

Old 03-08-2011, 06:20 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BRUNER247
Oh boy another one of my crazy ideas that I haven't got to yet(nowhere to do it yet). My xj has made many trips from Mexico couple times, padre island, TX, Minn, Pa,east coast n back to heartland several times.245Kmiles worth. & I've spent more than my share of night in my jeep but I never have enough room. Well here's my idea. Many of you have extra xjs like me. Take a xj 2 or 4dr your choice. Remove front clip, wax the unibody at the fire wall, strip firewall clean & smooth it out. Now slide some 2x6 channel(think it would fit, off top of my head)or square tubing that fit, in the unibody as far as she'll go. With other end(still sticking out)pre-bent for tongue & hitch. Add a brace or two at tongue & firewall area. Bolt & or weld the channel to the unibody. & you have a xj"canned ham" trailer. Remove front & rear seats. Level front floor area to the height of the WAY BACK area. Then put lids on the front(leveled)area for storage of cables,or anything that would fit. Be awesome having a xj trailer to pull behind a xj. Plus room to stretch out to sleep, carry camping supplies, extra tires, spares, everything we never seem to have enough room for. Idk.just another crazy idea.
I've thought of the same thing to do to my spare cherokee. But here's a link to show what it would look like, I found this on the net back when I was thinking of doing it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1041284
Old 03-08-2011, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

A lot of real cool ideas in tha thread. I think a LOng bed MJ would make a cool expedition trailer. I am sure when he scales that build he will be over his target weight, steel wieghs more then you think.. especially when you are trying to build something that didnt exist.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 AM

With the camper I would also be concerned with the weight distribution. The XJ rear axle is pretty far back. Seems to me that it would creat a lot of weight to the front of the axle and on the tongue. I think that the good trailer weight distribution is supposed to be somewhere around 60/40 front to rear.

I saw a post on this a while back, someone did make one successfully (not the naxja post above) and he ended up cutting it pretty short because of towability
Old 03-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

take a look at this one

this is nicely done and will carry all your spare things plus it has a built in sink and can refuel your rig

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=931446
Attached Thumbnails Krazy XJ Kamper-100_0172.jpg  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 AM

and that weight distribution looks good
Old 03-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

That is awesome! I see a potential future project. Great job.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: classified information
Engine: .30 over 4.0

Imo it needs same lift as xj pulling it. I'd have to give it a chin on the tongue. Like ft high, ft longer, rounded in front. Otherwise it be same as sleeping in actual xj(SUKS). Very nice trailer though!
Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

This gives me an idea of what to do with my parts jeep.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:16 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

That white trailer set up is slick!!!