Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Home brew tool box stand

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight six
Default Home brew tool box stand

I was originally building a wooden tool box that was going to take up all the space in the back. I started researching tool boxes on CF and found some that used up the space over the wheel well. So i started to design one that would suit the purposes and the tool box that I found in my work shop. I used 1 1/4"x1/16" square tube and angle iron to build this project. Im not done with this yet, but mostly it is welding together ar this point. I'm going to add some slides or track for the ammo cans to sit in one will hold ammo one will hold recovery gear and the other will be a first aid kit... there's a possibility of fitting two more on this frame in that case both would gold spare parts of some sort. If you have any ideas let me know or just some feed back.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Engine: 4.0

That looks great. Really got me thinking into something like this
Old 03-16-2016, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Why not spin it so the drawers slide to the back instead of into the side? If the rear is full of gear, you cant get the drawers open. Also, you might consider putting the tool box on the bottom and the ammo can on top, due to weight distribution. I like the concept!
Old 03-18-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I dig it
Old 03-21-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: Straight six

Thanks for the responses guys

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
Why not spin it so the drawers slide to the back instead of into the side? If the rear is full of gear, you cant get the drawers open. Also, you might consider putting the tool box on the bottom and the ammo can on top, due to weight distribution. I like the concept!
I have been using it here and there just trying to see what problems might arise. I agree that if the back was full of gear the drawers wouldn't open, I thought of that however I feel that the whole rig would then be sticking to far out into the middle of the jeep. I have a 100 pound German Shepherd that loves taking up the back/back seat area. So I think I will keep it on the side, plus I have a roof rack so gear storage is no problem. I also though of putting the ammo cans on the top but then I wouldn't be able to open the top of the tool box which is what unlock the drawers and allows them to slide. I have been thinking possibly putting the tool box on the bottom but on.some beefy drawer slides so it can roll out from under the ammo cans on top. However this also pushes the tool box out into the middle of the jeep because now it has to sit to the side of the wheel well instead of on top using up the wasted space more effeciently. Love the ideas though if you or anyone else has some keep them comming. Just a prototype at the moment.