Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

First time fiberglass

Old 10-26-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Lightbulb First time fiberglass

I am about to embark on a fiberglass adventure to sew up the loose end I created while replacing a rocker panel. Tomorrow is the only day I have to really do it and get it done, so any advice I could get would be great! Here are pictures of what I have to do.

I need to make this solid. I want to put some metal in for the main surfaces but wrap it all in fiberglass.. Hope it comes out okay!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say it bud, but fiberglass ain't the answer and neither is a pop riveted on rocker panel. That there is a weld only job or find another body for your jeep.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:17 PM

Well when you have next to no tools and no access to a welder, then you do what you have to to make it work. And I don't think changing the whole body would be any easier tool wise, or financially for that matter. There is nothing wrong with the work I have done.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:24 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Black89
I hate to say it bud, but fiberglass ain't the answer and neither is a pop riveted on rocker panel. That there is a weld only job or find another body for your jeep.
Originally Posted by 89CherokeeLee
Well when you have next to no tools and no access to a welder, then you do what you have to to make it work. And I don't think changing the whole body would be any easier tool wise, or financially for that matter. There is nothing wrong with the work I have done.
I hate to be a buzzkill, but Black89 is absolutely right here. All you're going to accomplish with this is make your job a lot harder to deal with down the road, whether or not it is you, or the next owner that has to deal with it. Spend your time and money wisely and get it done properly. If you can't get it done, take it to someone who can. Just my deuce Lincolns...
Old 10-26-2013, 06:26 PM

At least I didn't do what everyone here said to- "Replace the rocker?? Just use spray foam and bondo!"
Old 10-26-2013, 06:30 PM

At least I didn't do what everyone here said to- "Replace the rocker?? Just use spray foam and bondo!"
Who told you to do that? And, what you have suggested is just as bad....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:33 PM

Well look.... I didn't post this to get told how wrong I did things. I actually was looking for someone to give me advice on how to make my resources work in my situation. I get one day every other week to work on this thing, and it is my daily driver to boot. My rocker is just fine, Now either you say something useful or GTFO.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Guess I'll GTFO then...you have this under control. You haven't gotten too far off base yet according to your pics, it can still be done properly if you get on the right track now, if not, then best of luck to you....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:43 PM

I would love to have it done the most right way, but some things just aren't possible in some situations. I only use it on the road anyway, so the flexing will be minimal and.... Let's face it. It's an 89 with probably around 240*** miles, I only have a few years in her anyway. I am just doing the best I can to keep it solid enough to keep driving.

And here in Maine, you would feel sick to know how many people use spray foam and bondo to get another inspection sticker for their rotted out cars. Traumatizing...
Old 10-26-2013, 06:48 PM

wow man quit with the attitude, you asked for "any advice" and this is how you appreciate it??

they answered point blank that it needs to be welded and that's a fact!!! then you can embark on your fiberglass adventure, but you'd rather start slamming members here for giving the advice you inquired about....
Old 10-26-2013, 06:51 PM

I would love to have it done the most right way, but some things just aren't possible in some situations. I only use it on the road anyway, so the flexing will be minimal and.... Let's face it. It's an 89 with probably around 240*** miles, I only have a few years in her anyway. I am just doing the best I can to keep it solid enough to keep driving.

And here in Maine, you would feel sick to know how many people use spray foam and bondo to get another inspection sticker for their rotted out cars. Traumatizing...
Whatevs, brah, it's your ride. You posted it here asking for advice. You got it, and you didn't like it. If you can't fix it by welding it in, why is it in the fab section? If it's an 89 with 240*** miles, its got room to spare if you take care of it. You are on the right track, but if you have to half-*** it, don't. Sell it to someone who can, and buy a Honda. And you're right, people in Maine that take care of their cars like that would make me sick, guess that's why I don't live there...
Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDaze
wow man quit with the attitude, you asked for "any advice" and this is how you appreciate it??

they answered point blank that it needs to be welded and that's a fact!!! then you can embark on your fiberglass adventure, but you'd rather start slamming members here for giving the advice you inquired about....
BINGO
Old 10-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Well Thanks for telling me what I already know, I'm not slamming anyone, those are great points of advice, but there's not much I can really do in that way. Soooo THANKS GUYS YOU ROCK! But sadly your advice got me nowhere quick. That's all, really.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:58 PM

...and with that, the thread becomes pointless....
Old 10-26-2013, 07:01 PM

guess so... That sucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First time fiberglass