Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Custom cargo box

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Custom cargo box

I have decided its time to build a cargo box for the Xj but I wanted to do something different. I wanted to build something with plenty if storage space for recovery gear, an axe, spare parts, tools, etc. I also wanted to build in some nice features for long trail rides and camping trips. This I what I came up with. The top is just a drawer. The bottom right side is a drawer for a camping stove/grill and the left will be a pullout table with a leg that folds down to support the end. I was hoping to get some comments. I plan to start building it in a couple weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Custom cargo box-image-1499381773.jpg   Custom cargo box-image-2611028111.jpg   Custom cargo box-image-1767108970.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Pictures are sideways so its a little hard to see.
a few things that come to mind:

-I would consider making your table a swing out deal, I.E have it pivot from one corner out, measuring the whole width of the box. you would have to raise the grill area but not by much, maybe an inch or two depending on the thickness of the table. The amount of table space you gain is incredible though.

-You have an area to the left of your table, that is unused? I believe it fits snug with the wheel well from what I can see. If so, do you have the same thing on the other side? I see a little box that says storage but isn't that what the whole thing is for? Why not just make it part of the rest of the box?

Just some things to consider, I look forward to seeing your progress, this is something I have contemplated a well.
Cheers.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 renix 6!

Being that I got my cherokee just for camping,and mtb'ing,I will be watching this thread closely.Looks like a good idea.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the input. Sorry about the pix i didnt realize they would come out portrait and not landscape. As far as the side box is concerned, the drawers are only going to be 44 inches wide , the width of the wheel wells so as a result I have 5 inches if space on the side that I figured I would just box that off for more storage. Also i considered purring an inverter in there. On the other side there is the bump for the gas full hose so I figured I would just close that off and leave it be. For the table I like the idea of the full size table but the pivot concerns me a bit. In stead of a pivot I could make the box an inch taller and make a slot for the table to slide in so that, in stead of being attached to the box, it just stores in it and I can set it up where I like. I also wouldn't have to worry about the ground being flat around the back of the jeep.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I like it +1
Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 PM

This is what I am starting with. I am also currently in the planning stages for a tire carrier bumper. The tire and hi-lift will be relocated outside to the carrier. The toolbox will end up in the deep end in the deep end of the drawer along with my fold up shovel.
Attached Thumbnails Custom cargo box-image-2441644905.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Shamrock96
Thanks for the input. Sorry about the pix i didnt realize they would come out portrait and not landscape. As far as the side box is concerned, the drawers are only going to be 44 inches wide , the width of the wheel wells so as a result I have 5 inches if space on the side that I figured I would just box that off for more storage. Also i considered purring an inverter in there. On the other side there is the bump for the gas full hose so I figured I would just close that off and leave it be. For the table I like the idea of the full size table but the pivot concerns me a bit. In stead of a pivot I could make the box an inch taller and make a slot for the table to slide in so that, in stead of being attached to the box, it just stores in it and I can set it up where I like. I also wouldn't have to worry about the ground being flat around the back of the jeep.
Good idea on the table, you're using your noggin have you considered making the top a lid? Otherwise you have to pull the drawer alllllll the way out to get to stuff in the back. Maybe a short drawer in the front, lid in the back? I can see that being a problem if you have a bunch of gear loaded on top of it though, but even if you load stuff on it you'll have to find some way to support it otherwise the top will bow over time.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Engine: 4.0

I like the table idea alot!