Fabrication & builders section. All fabrication posts go here.
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ Only projects go here. Questions belong in modified tech.

Creative storage options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Default Creative storage options?

Hi, sorry, another storage thread but I did some searching and couldn't find anything similar to what I'm looking for!

Everyone has the milk crate (or more!) of random stuff that they need--extra dog leashes, a couple jugs of coolant, etc. My issue is that I regularly use my Cherokee for both hauling people and cargo around. (I'm a horse girl...regularly pick up a couple hundred pounds worth of grain.) I need to have the back storage area open, and I need to have the rear seats open.

I stuff things like jumper cables underneath the rear seats, but those are a pain to get to if the seats are down with stuff on top, or people are sitting on them, etc.

What I'm thinking is....could I (or has someone else already!?) fabbed some sort of box up that sits near the driver's side rear cargo window? Off the floor and basically obstructing part of the window (don't look outta it anyway!), maybe like a long tool-box type shape? I'm explaining it really poorly, I know. I can't mount it lower (where the mount for the spare tire is) because I have an amp mounted there. The passenger side cargo "L" is already cut out and stuffed with a sub, so I can't take advantage of that space anymore either.

Ideas? Suggestions based off my ideas? Any other creative storage solutions? Putting stuff on the roof is an option, but my gas mileage is terrible as it is and that may not always be convenient. I like the rear cargo area platform drawers, but not sure that I need that much storage!

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

You could make a shelf that came up off the floor to just below the seats so you can have stuff under and on top of it.

I have a military storage container in mine and love it. Pics in a few min.

my rear parts, fluid, and tool storage solution.

Last edited by biggoofy; 02-10-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

ive been thinking about mounting some kind of box on the bottom of the jeep for a while now.. like where the parking brake is.. i have a ton of clearence down there and plenty of room... if i could put doors on it like nissan titans have, ide make it big enough for tow rope, cables and basic tools..
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by biggoofy
You could make a shelf that came up off the floor to just below the seats so you can have stuff under and on top of it.

I have a military storage container in mine and love it. Pics in a few min.
Yeah, the issue with shelves is that once the seats are down, it looks kinda silly. In addition, I don't want to worry about having to stuff 50lb grain bags under shelving brackets or obstructions to the rear window.

I at one point was considering putting a "false floor" in with the rear seats...when you fold the "seat" part forward you are left with a good three or four inches of room....the seat does not press to the floor. Then I could just lift the top up and have stuff under there...

I'm trying to leave the cargo space as unaltered as possible. I use it quite a bit. I also like the "clean" look of no shelving obstructing my rearview. I'm picky, I know!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
ive been thinking about mounting some kind of box on the bottom of the jeep for a while now.. like where the parking brake is.. i have a ton of clearence down there and plenty of room... if i could put doors on it like nissan titans have, ide make it big enough for tow rope, cables and basic tools..
The bottom? As in underneath? Not sure how I'd feel about crawling underneath my vehicle to grab a dog leash....I always seem to find strays when I'm in heels and trying not to get dirty!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by XJGirl23
The bottom? As in underneath? Not sure how I'd feel about crawling underneath my vehicle to grab a dog leash....I always seem to find strays when I'm in heels and trying not to get dirty!
haha well i dont have that problem dont wear heels too often.. you know like maybey once a month at the most

there is alot of people that add a platform in the back, or simply a tool box.. you could always get seat covers with pockets in the back if your going to just need space for a leash/jumper cables.. and stuff like this- http://www.google.com/products/catal...=0CG4Q8wIwCDgU#
wouldnt have to modify the back

Last edited by Ianf406; 02-10-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XJGirl23
I always seem to find strays when I'm in heels and trying not to get dirty!
this made me lol
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
haha well i dont have that problem dont wear heels too often.. you know like maybey once a month at the most

there is alot of people that add a platform in the back, or simply a tool box.. you could always get seat covers with pockets in the back if your going to just need space for a leash/jumper cables

I think the platform may be the way to go. I regularly have over 500lbs of grain in the back so I CANNOT use anything that sucks up cargo room. (Which is why my sub lives in my poor Jeep's wall, instead of in a box like a respectable sub!) Raising the floor a couple inches should still leave me with plenty of options.

I do have pockets on the rear of the seats, which is where everything is stuffed right now. (Or just rolling around my cargo area!) But things like jugs of fluid don't fit there. They sit in the milkcrate on the floor, but my passengers get annoyed with that.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: l6 4.0, K&N FIPK & 62mm bored TB

Try this thread (click HERE), you might get some ideas. There's lots of pics.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Liter High Output

Not exactly what you mean but this is my setup
Attached Thumbnails Creative storage options?-0104011714.jpg   Creative storage options?-0104011714a.jpg  
Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L I6

Not sure if this helps, but here's mine.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

This is mine. holds my compressor and air tank and each side has storage in the wheel well. I keep all my fluids in em.

Name:  After25mb.jpg
Views: 6736
Size:  158.0 KB
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 AM

Its a cool idea to putting up a wood shelf that would help you store your stuff well organized... Props for you man!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:55 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Whatever you do, make sure you can secure the stuff you're putting in the back. I have never been in a wreck that was my fault and I've been driving for 16 years. But if you rear end or broadside somebody, you could walk away, or you could get killed by a shovel that was sitting in the back.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Pitbull, that is a fantastic design. Everything seems to have its place. KUDO's

Quick Reply: Creative storage options?